Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Jenste, thank you for the clarification.  I don't think I've ever disagreed with you so your explanation keeps that record alive ;)   lol

Haha... glad to hear it. I wouldn't want to spoil a perfect track record. :) 

Thanks Jenste! Did you graduate as well or are you heading into your 2nd year?

I'm loving having some off time but now the pressure of finding a job begins! 

Nahhh.... I'm not in advanced standing. It's still nice to be on summer vacation, though.  :) 

From what I hear, advanced standing grads have an easier time finding employment post graduation compared to foundational year grads. I'm sure it's because of having more experience in the field, outside of internships. Once September comes along (or the latter part of August), I'm sure you will see lots of new job postings come up.

Best of luck!! Thanks for being such a great help to so many folks on these boards over the past year or two.

Thanks Jenste, you are too kind! :) and thank you for the encouraging words regarding the job search. I've had a few interviews and a job offer (which I declined) so I'm not too worried (yet! ;) )

Regarding job finding for new grads, I'm not sure I'd say that advanced standing students have an easier time of finding jobs than 2yrs.  After all, if the graduate is young, chances are that they haven't had that much more time to accumulate paid experience that many employers want.  I know plenty of 2yrs who graduated with me that are already employed while I'm still looking. If you aren't too picky, you are likely to land a job quicker.  Also, a lot depends on where you are applying. If you are sending your resume out to jobs that you don't really qualify for, you will likely be disappointed.  

Enjoy your summer! :) 

Hi there

Has anyone been accepted to the UBC MSW Foundation program?? What kind of GPA and previous experience did you have?

If anyone has other helpful information on this, that would be great

Thanks!

Hey I have a question about OSAP and making it in off the wait-list.

The OSAP site says that even before you are accepted into a program you can apply for OSAP, in the case that you are accepted later (or for whatever reason). I've set that up and everything, but now I've received the documentation that I have to send to the school's financial office.

Has anyone applied for OSAP before knowing if they've made it into a program? Are we actually able to send these documents to the financial office? Or how does this work. I just want to be prepared with OSAP in the off chance that I make it off U of T's waitlist.

Thanks! :)

Hi everyone,

First off, I just want to qualify my post from the start by saying that I am very grateful to be starting my MSW this September. I know that there are many amazing candidates who did not receive offers this year, and having received rejections of my own, I am humbled to be in the position I'm in.

Having said that, is anyone else who is starting their MSW directly after their undergrad feeling burned out? I did my BSW part-time online, so I have been plugging away at it for a long time in addition to working at my regular job and field placement. I will graduate this August with my BSW, and I will start my MSW in September.

Does anyone else feel this way? Any tips or suggestions to help cope with 'student burnout' ? Thanks all.

I just got accepted yesterday off the U of T 2 year MSW wait list - this was my second year waitlisted.  I shook for like an hour afterwards! 

I guess talking to Andrea last year after not getting off the wait list worked.  My advice for those waitlisted is to ask for advice on your application and then take it no matter how small it sounds.  Last year Andrea told me I had a very nice application, but  it would be good both my work references to be Social Work related (at that time I only had 1, the other reference was in business) she told me my grades were good (B+) and my experience was good, but I could have more (I had about 150 hours - I was volunteering with Hospice Toronto and had volunteered in a Candian Development Fund International Development program years ago I also had expeirence as primary care giver for my mom while she was dying - I didn't include these hours in my original resume in 2013 and 2014 but sent it in after I was waitlisted this year - I estimated down by way more then 1/2 on these hours and it still got to 1,700 hours). 

I took her advice and got a reference from Toronto Hospice (I'd been there a year) and applied to volunteer as a  grief support group facilitator for Bereaved Families of Ontario and improved my hours to ~400 and added my care for my mother to my resume and after 3 months of waitlist I finally got off. 

Good Luck to all of you on the wait list!

I just got accepted yesterday off the U of T 2 year MSW wait list - this was my second year waitlisted.  I shook for like an hour afterwards! 

I guess talking to Andrea last year after not getting off the wait list worked.  My advice for those waitlisted is to ask for advice on your application and then take it no matter how small it sounds.  Last year Andrea told me I had a very nice application, but  it would be good both my work references to be Social Work related (at that time I only had 1, the other reference was in business) she told me my grades were good (B+) and my experience was good, but I could have more (I had about 150 hours - I was volunteering with Hospice Toronto and had volunteered in a Candian Development Fund International Development program years ago I also had expeirence as primary care giver for my mom while she was dying - I didn't include these hours in my original resume in 2013 and 2014 but sent it in after I was waitlisted this year - I estimated down by way more then 1/2 on these hours and it still got to 1,700 hours). 

I took her advice and got a reference from Toronto Hospice (I'd been there a year) and applied to volunteer as a  grief support group facilitator for Bereaved Families of Ontario and improved my hours to ~400 and added my care for my mother to my resume and after 3 months of waitlist I finally got off. 

Good Luck to all of you on the wait list!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

See you in September. Sounds like you have a ton of great experience. 

I am burnt out as well.  I did my undergrad over 6 years part-time and then just graduated with my BSW which I did full-time from September 2013-June 2014.  I have kids as well so there is really no break time and while I am happy I was accepted and know that I need the MSW to get a good job in my area of interest I am SO not looking forward to another year of school.  I feel like I need months to recover from the stress!  No tips on how to handle it from me because I have no idea!

If you can afford it, perhaps treating yourself to a special vacation will be restorative, as well as doing your favourite hobbies that relax you (including exercise and sports). Welcome week events are also a fun and refreshing way to ease into the new year and to make new friends.

Also remember that when you're in the program, study groups can be a great way to review the readings and reduce your workload, as you won't have enough time to read every single thing that you are assigned.     

I am burnt out as well.  I did my undergrad over 6 years part-time and then just graduated with my BSW which I did full-time from September 2013-June 2014.  I have kids as well so there is really no break time and while I am happy I was accepted and know that I need the MSW to get a good job in my area of interest I am SO not looking forward to another year of school.  I feel like I need months to recover from the stress!  No tips on how to handle it from me because I have no idea!

Edited by jenste

Thank you everyone. Glad to know I am not alone in feeling burned out. I have a couple of weeks off between the start of my leave of absence from work and starting my MSW program. I hope to have some fun and also have a chance to relax. I am currently wrapping up my final assignments for my BSW, and exams are just around the corner. By the second week of August, I will be finished my undergrad! I hope everyone else has a chance to enjoy the summer and to make some time for self care.

On a side note, I just received an acceptance to Ryerson University's MSW program dated July 15. So they are apparently still sending out offers. I am rejecting it, so that will open up a spot for someone else. Good luck to all!

It took me 6 years to do my undergrad too. I was working full time, however over the past 2 years I worked part time to accomodate field placement and a full course load. I accomplished more in the past 2 years than I accomplished in the previous 4! If I find any great stress management tips I will let you know - I'm sure we are not the only ones! Good luck at U of T.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I've been MIA for a while, with work etc. Congrats again to those who have been accepted into the MSW programs for this coming year. For those accepted into the Advanced Standing (1 Year) MSW at U of Toronto, here is the name of the Facebook group and the link attached to join! Share with anyone you know who will be attending, as we can connect :)

Thanks guys!

University of Toronto MSW Advanced Standing 2014

https://www.facebook.com/groups/484045911697180/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Just because it's so late in the game I'm not thinking I'll get off the U of T waitlist this year. I was wondering if anyone's had to re-apply to York University, and how helpful they were with going over your application with you - in terms of what you can do better next time/where improvement is required. 

Thanks! Congrats to everyone who got in this year :)

doss anyone know what MSW schools require you to take statistics?

For my msw advanced standing apps, I remember that U Windsor requires both statistics and research methods. York U and Ryerson U both required research methods only. In my experience, stats is in a totally different league. I tried taking it online but had to withdraw as I honestly could not do it. I spent hours studying and also hired a tutor. I thank my lucky stars that York did not require it, as I might literally have had to give up my career as a social worker for the sake of one course. This is not to discourage you, but to be honest about my experience. If you have weak math skills I recommend taking Alegebra first and asking for help if you need it. If you fall behind in stats it is very hard to recover. Hopefully it is an easier course to take in class. Trying to teach myself at home was impossible!