Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Based on previous years, I think people on the waitlist can expect to hear from U of T as early as this week, but more likely next week. 

I know it's only a few days later, but has anyone on U of T's 2-year MSW wait list heard anything?  Also waiting (im)patiently for UBC's Okanagan campus 2-year MSW program results...

Congrats! I also just found out I'm off of the waitlist for Orillia!

I had sort of wrote the whole school thing off cause I thought it was a lost cause. Now I have to re-think what I'm doing this summer :o

Just to let everyone know, there is hope. I was just accepted off Lakehead's Waitlist for Orillia Campus HBSW. See everyone there!

Good Luck,

Edited by jaylynn

jaylynn, I'm so happy for you!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Congrats Jaylynn. Glad to hear this year had a better ending for you. :)

Thank you so much to the both of you!! I was unsure what I was going to do at first but I realized I have to jump on any opportunity that gets my foot in the door for social work. WOOO

I know it's only a few days later, but has anyone on U of T's 2-year MSW wait list heard anything?  Also waiting (im)patiently for UBC's Okanagan campus 2-year MSW program results...

It's gotta be this week that people start hearing. I'm feeling impatient today, even though I know I shouldn't be expecting to hear anything. Just hopeful.

It's gotta be this week that people start hearing. I'm feeling impatient today, even though I know I shouldn't be expecting to hear anything. Just hopeful.

I'm also feeling very impatient today, though I know the odds aren't great with such a large wait list. Last year it looks like some poeple got the call on the 23rd, not that that means anything for this year. 

Fingers crossed.

Edited by apple MSW

I'm also feeling very impatient today, though I know the odds aren't great with such a large wait list. Last year it looks like some poeple got the call on the 23rd, not that that means anything for this year. 

Fingers crossed.

Long waitlist for u of t or ubc okanagan? I'm waiting to hear from ubco should be any day now!!! 

Edited by snoozy

Long waitlist for u of t or ubc okanagan? I'm waiting to hear from ubco should be any day now!!! 

I think the waitlist for u of t is..but I'm not sure on that.  UBC Okanagan is starting to let people know as the decisions roll in.  Ugh, I seriously need U of T to work out!

I heard from UofCalgary today (I was on the wait-list).  Does anyone have any experience in that program? I'd love to chat about it, it's a tough for decision for me since it's a big move and I'm unsure about the program.

Still waiting out UofT (also wait-list, this has been a really fun waiting game :P) .  My birthday is coming up, so I'm hoping I'll magically hear about it on that day, haha.  Has anyone heard anything from them?

I heard from UofCalgary today (I was on the wait-list).  Does anyone have any experience in that program? I'd love to chat about it, it's a tough for decision for me since it's a big move and I'm unsure about the program.

Still waiting out UofT (also wait-list, this has been a really fun waiting game :P) .  My birthday is coming up, so I'm hoping I'll magically hear about it on that day, haha.  Has anyone heard anything from them?

Are you on the waitlist for the two year program or advanced standing? If advanced standing, what stream? I'm trying to see how many people are we are competing against.

Are you on the waitlist for the two year program or advanced standing? If advanced standing, what stream? I'm trying to see how many people are we are competing against.

It took me way too long to figure out how to reply to your post.

I'm on the waitlist for the two year program, sorry that I can't help!

Edited by LetsPlayHungryHungryHippos

Just got accepted today to the York University MSW Advanced Standing 1 year program from the waitlist! I never saw this coming! It shows that there is still hope for everyone who is waitlisted. You never know!

Hey, I heard from Ryerson a few weeks ago that I was accepted off the wait list. You never know though because people can still get accepted elsewhere and change their minds. For example, u of t is sending out acceptances off the wait list at the end of May, if there are any. It's a popular school, so you never know... People might end up turning down Ryerson or York if their first choice is u of t.

Call Ryerson if you can, the admin assistant for the msw program is really helpful. Good luck.

You are exactly right bellavaux. I think that must have happened to me, because I was just accepted to York's MSW Advanced Standing program today from the waitlist. My guess is that somebody who was previously accepted at York likely just got into U of T. It just goes to show that you never know!

Just spoke to Angela at the MSW office for U of T and they haven't started sending out Wait List notifications yet...they're hoping in the next week or two if there are any openings from the initial offers for the 2 year program....urgh..but at least that means there's still a chance!

Oh Dear!

I'm in the same situation with McGill, my birthday is also coming up, so I'm hoping the decision this week to have enough reasons to celebrate my birthday (off course being alive is one of them). I send you the best energy and I'm sure there is a miracle waiting for you!

Regards

Just spoke to Angela at the MSW office for U of T and they haven't started sending out Wait List notifications yet...they're hoping in the next week or two if there are any openings from the initial offers for the 2 year program....urgh..but at least that means there's still a chance!

THANK YOU so much for updating us.  I've been slowly going crazy this week despite the fact that I've been trying to be cool with it.  Oh well another week or 2 it is.  If there are any openings...you'd think they would know that by now...deep breath.  This process is teaching me a lot about patience.

THANK YOU so much for updating us.  I've been slowly going crazy this week despite the fact that I've been trying to be cool with it.  Oh well another week or 2 it is.  If there are any openings...you'd think they would know that by now...deep breath.  This process is teaching me a lot about patience.

I second this THANK YOU, I'll stop checking my email every 5 minutes now. :) 

I really don't like this "IF there are any openings" thing. Ugh. Hope is dwindling. Didn't people have to respond by May 8th or something? Weird.

Thank you so much for this information, very nice to know there is still a possibility. I'm just wondering for those of you on the wait list what have you been doing while in this limbo? Is anyone going to reapply in the Fall if they don't get in?

I second this THANK YOU, I'll stop checking my email every 5 minutes now. :)

I really don't like this "IF there are any openings" thing. Ugh. Hope is dwindling. Didn't people have to respond by May 8th or something? Weird.

I felt the same way about the whole 'people have to respond by May 8th', but the way I worded it when I spoke to her, I asked if any of the potential spots from the first round offers had been given to Wait listed people, and she said that they haven't started that part yet.  They would be doing that (if any.....) in the next week or two.  Also, I tried to get a % for how many people off the wait list get in, and she said she didn't have that info because it varies from year to year....welp, I tried lol

Also, she said the wait list people would be contacted by phone primarily!

I felt the same way about the whole 'people have to respond by May 8th', but the way I worded it when I spoke to her, I asked if any of the potential spots from the first round offers had been given to Wait listed people, and she said that they haven't started that part yet.  They would be doing that (if any.....) in the next week or two.  Also, I tried to get a % for how many people off the wait list get in, and she said she didn't have that info because it varies from year to year....welp, I tried lol

Also, she said the wait list people would be contacted by phone primarily!

This is great information lol thank you so much for asking all this, it's nice to have an idea (even if that is more uncertainty) :P 

Too bad no one knows how big the waitlist for UofT is this year. Last year it was 75 people, so I pretty much accepted the fact that I was probably less qualified than at least 10 of the 75 and unfortunately, I don't think many people turn down UofT. But I have heard of it, so it's definitely possible! I had messaged a girl who was accepted the last week of August. How nerve wracking would that be! 

Edited by jaylynn

Thanks a lot.  :)

I can understand the stress of making life decisions and needing to choose among a few good programs. (although the impact of your choices are much greater...)   Now I'm also altering my thought in setting UofT as my 1st choice and am seriously thinking about going to York even if UofT gives me an offer... because the offer from York U is just too tempting -- a funding package of $15,000 ($9000 GAship + $6000 entrance scholarship)!!!  It means after one year of MSW studies at York, I'll not only get a master degree, be debt free, but also earn $9000 plus a paid social work related work/research experience to list on my resume.  Although I like UofT's program better, but now I'm considering an alternative route of obtaining a "Solution-Focused Brief Therapy" Certificate from Adler Professional School's Continuing Education Program after completing MSW at York. This way, I'll be able to learn about the practical counselling skills that is lacking in York's MSW program.  

I wonder how others will choose-- a school that provides lots of funding or a famous school with a program you like?  

Hello Turtle2014!

I was just accepted to York University's MSW Advanced Standing program from the wait-list. I was also offered a $9,000 funding package in my wait-list letter. I was wondering if you would share what your gpa was to receive the $6,000 entrance scholarship as well? My BSW gpa is 3.90. I spoke to Emma at York today and they are currently working on my acceptance package. I don't know if I dare to even hope for additional funding! Also, I was wondering if I am correct in thinking that the MSW Advanced program has approximately 40 spots open each fall? Do you have an idea of how many applications they may receive to this program? 

Thanks so much! Good luck in September!