Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi! I won't be applying for my MSW until this coming fall. I am planning on applying to u of t's 2 year program. I anticipate I'll be going in with a B+ gpa, A- in research methods, and lots of experience/great references. I'm really worried about the gpa aspect, has anyone here gotten in with a below A- average or know someone who has? I

Know they say that everything above the B cutoff is considered but I'm wondering if it's actually

True in practice.

Congrats to everyone who had gotten in so far and I wish everyone who is waiting a lot of luck!

(Please excuse weird capitalization in this post, my iPhone is annoying

Like that!)

Thank you!

Hi! I won't be applying for my MSW until this coming fall. I am planning on applying to u of t's 2 year program. I anticipate I'll be going in with a B+ gpa, A- in research methods, and lots of experience/great references. I'm really worried about the gpa aspect, has anyone here gotten in with a below A- average or know someone who has? I

Know they say that everything above the B cutoff is considered but I'm wondering if it's actually

True in practice.

Congrats to everyone who had gotten in so far and I wish everyone who is waiting a lot of luck!

(Please excuse weird capitalization in this post, my iPhone is annoying

Like that!)

Thank you!

Hey:) I know of one person who got in with a B+ GPA (in the last two years) but she had really good experience and references. Your application will definitely be considered if you meet the minimum requirements and your experience can boost it. Best of luck! :)

I know someone who had a GPA of B+ and got on the U of T waitlist. She had a BA in psychology and worked as an addictions counsellor for a few years and believes it was her work experience that gave her application an edge. 

You really don't know what will happen until you apply so I'd give it your best shot and see what happens. Good luck!

Hi all

I am new to this forum, and I am just wondering if anyone has applied to the MSW for working professionals at U Windsor?  I was finally able to get my application in on April 2nd after a long wait for one of my references who was on sick leave (bless him for getting it to me)! 

It is a rolling acceptance and I'm just wondering if anyone who has applied and been accepted could tell me how long they had to wait for a decision and also how much work experience you have?  I am nervous that I have just over the minimum 3 years work experience.  However I also have placement experience through my SSW diploma.  

Anyways, I only applied to this program so I really hope I get in!  I was waitlisted last year for the Laurier part-time program.  I am wishing now I would have applied to U of T as well!  I guess I will see what happens. 

Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted :) 

Morgan 

Hi Morgan!

I am also interested in knowing - I should have my application for the MSWwp program in this week (cutting it close, I know!)

This is the only school i've applied to as well and I have just over 3 years of post BSW experience - I currently work as a Social Worker for a psychiatric hospital (with inpatient, outpatient, crisis experience).  

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes!

Hi Morgan!

I am also interested in knowing - I should have my application for the MSWwp program in this week (cutting it close, I know!)

This is the only school i've applied to as well and I have just over 3 years of post BSW experience - I currently work as a Social Worker for a psychiatric hospital (with inpatient, outpatient, crisis experience).  

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes!

Hi there!  Good luck with your application as well!  Hopefully the spots have not filled up given it's a rolling acceptance!  I think it seems like there is a pretty good shot of getting in if you meet the requirements from what they have told me.  They have said that if you meet the requirements and they want you in the program, they will make a spot for you.  Apparently they determine the number of spots around the number of applicants who meet the requirements.  Anyways, let me know how it goes for you as well! 

Also I forgot to mention that Windsor has told me the processing time is 4-6 weeks, but things are running smoothly and it would likely be 4 weeks or less for a decision to be sent :) 

Morgan - they have told me the same, so long as you meet the deadline the chances are pretty good - which makes me a little nervous as it seems too good to be true!

My issue right now - saying what I want to say in 400 words and making the statement look somewhat structured LOL

Morgan - they have told me the same, so long as you meet the deadline the chances are pretty good - which makes me a little nervous as it seems too good to be true!

My issue right now - saying what I want to say in 400 words and making the statement look somewhat structured LOL

I definitely agree that it seems to good to be true!  No other schools seem to practice this.  Good luck with the personal statement!  It can be a struggle to have to be so concise when there is so much to say.  Are you looking to attend the Oshawa campus as well?

Morgan - I'm looking to attend the Peel campus, a drive to Oshawa would be quite the commitment for me as I live in Hamilton and work in Brantford.  I probably should have been agreeable to attend the Oshawa campus if it was a make or break situation, but alas I only chose Peel.

Yes, thank you so much for the advice! She unfortunately couldn't say where I was on the list. I guess what's meant to be will be. There are 30 applicants accepted in the 2 year program, but only 10 for each specialization. International and Community Development sounds so awesome! Take care:)

Hello! I got accepted into the program, I just received my offer email today. Good luck!!! Hopefully we'll meet this upcoming fall semester :) thanks for your support!!

Has anyone heard anything about UofT giving out advanced standing offers from the waitlist yet?

The deadline to secure the spot during the first round of admissions was two weeks ago.

Edited by Crochet

Okay everybody, I've been creeping on this thread for quite some time and now I need some advice!

My first choice program is the MSW at U of C (2 year, International Community Development stream). I just found out that I am first on the wait list. Does anybody have experience with waitlists? Do I have an okay chance of making it in? Does anybody know how many people are accepted into this stream?

So many questions! Thanks in advance  :)

I was just put on the wait list as well at U of C (for the clinical stream). I was on the wait list last year as well, but was never accepted. It's hard to say whether there is a chance or not; I guess it depends what your position is on the wait list, but from the email they sent, it sounds like they aren't telling anybody their ranking.

Best of luck!!

Hi all,

In regards to the MSWwp at U Windsor....does anyone know of students being admitted to this program who meet all requirements except 3 years of post grad experience? I have been working in social services at a government health agency for the past 6 years but I don't graduate with my BSW until August 2014, which is technically 0 years of experience. I was advised that they might consider it but I don't want to trouble my references for yet another letter if I will be rejected!

Thanks, good luck to all who are still on waiting lists....

Research interests...I am also wondering if anyone who was successful in their MSW applications would like to share what their research interests were for their applications? The topics I am interested in are aging, mental health, and child welfare. I gave some ideas for research interests related to these areas in my applications but I'm not sure if this is the area that is holding me back. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm accepted to UofT and my research interest that I wrote about in the application is the barriers that Aboriginal women and women of other cultural ethnicities face in seeking services surrounding issues of gendered violence.  I am also interested in the overrepresentation of Aboriginal women among Canada's missing and murdered women and the government's continued refusal to conduct a national inquiry into this matter.  I obviously wrote more in detail in the application.

Research interests...I am also wondering if anyone who was successful in their MSW applications would like to share what their research interests were for their applications? The topics I am interested in are aging, mental health, and child welfare. I gave some ideas for research interests related to these areas in my applications but I'm not sure if this is the area that is holding me back. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by smpalesh

Thank you! I received my BSW from University of Manitoba where there is great emphasis on Indigenous wellness models in social work, and I have now incorporated this more fully into my statement. One of my research ideas was also related to indigenous wellness and western health care models. Good luck at U of T!

Hi all,

In regards to the MSWwp at U Windsor....does anyone know of students being admitted to this program who meet all requirements except 3 years of post grad experience? I have been working in social services at a government health agency for the past 6 years but I don't graduate with my BSW until August 2014, which is technically 0 years of experience. I was advised that they might consider it but I don't want to trouble my references for yet another letter if I will be rejected!

Thanks, good luck to all who are still on waiting lists....

Hi there

I know when I first began to correspond with U Windsor regarding this program, they did emphasise that 3 years of post-grad experience is a requirement.  However, they also seem like they are very flexible and accommodating compared with other universities so it might be worth a shot applying and see what happens.  I understand what you mean about not wanting to bug references though! 

Best of luck to you!  

Morgan 

Thank you! I am going to make the application, worst they can do is say no. I will be sure to post if I do receive an acceptance to Windsor's MSWwp as this info might benefit others in a similar position. I have worked in social services since 2005, with 6 years of experience related to social work. However, I have 0 years of post-graduate experience (I'm graduating with my BSW in August, 2014). Best of luck to you in the program! 

My UWindsor status just changed to provisional acceptance......DOES THIS MEAN WHAT I THINK IT MEANS????? !!!!!!!

I thought it was done for windsor as it has been a few weeks since they sent out acceptance offers.

Do they send the offer by mail?

Thank you! I am so relieved right now! Receiving the acceptance took a little bit of the stress off. 

My status stated 'provisional acceptance'. 

I just need to complete a Stats course by September to secure my spot. I enrolled for the stats course today, so it looks like everything is coming together!

Good luck on your applications =)

Applied: 2 year MSW at U of T, Laurier, Lakehead, and Windsor

Waitlisted: Laurier, Lakehead

Accepted: Windsor 

Same thing for me!  Except I have to finish the research course.  I'm so happy.

How do you check your MyWindsor status? Also, for those accepted, here is the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/137920976378160/

Hi! Go in your Windsor account (you should have one by now as they e-mailed you your PAC and Student number many weeks ago), then you click on the academics tab and then click applications. Hope it helps.