Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

FYI for people who have accepted York U's MSW offer.... the MSW's orientation is coming up, and you can register for it through: 

http://www.yorku.ca/laps/sowk/practicum/rsvp/msw_orientation.html

Hopefully you'll be able to find out more info regarding to the fundings and other matters.  :)

York U MSW Orientations:
MSW Program & Field Orientation
  •           FULL TIME, ADVANCED STANDING STUDENTS-- Monday, May 12, 2014, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Room S802
  •           2 YEAR-YEAR 1 STUDENTS -- Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Room S822
  •           PART TIME, ADVANCED STANDING STUDENTS -- Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Room S822

(PS for new students who aren't familiar with the Keele Campus of York U:  The location is at Ross Building South (RS) 8th floor, the Social Work Department.)

FYI for people who have accepted York U's MSW offer.... the MSW's orientation is coming up, and you can register for it through: 

Hopefully you'll be able to find out more info regarding to the fundings and other matters.  :)

York U MSW Orientations:

•           FULL TIME, ADVANCED STANDING STUDENTS-- Monday, May 12, 2014, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Room S802
  •           2 YEAR-YEAR 1 STUDENTS -- Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Room S822
  •           PART TIME, ADVANCED STANDING STUDENTS -- Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Room S822
(PS for new students who aren't familiar with the Keele Campus of York U:  The location is at Ross Building South (RS) 8th floor, the Social Work Department.)

Thanks for this info! I've been waiting to find out when orientation will be! :)

AHHH the suspense!!! If history repeats I should hear an answer in a week or so.

I've been obsessively logging into to my uwindsor and I can't stop :(

I know!  Once I found out about uwindsor I logged in constantly all day!  You could find out any day now! 

This makes me feel a lot better!  My application arrived on April 15th and it only shows that they received my transcripts - however it was confirmed they had my supplementary application as well even though it didn't reflect it on the myuwindsor portal.  Good to know that they're still processing it even though it's not reflected online.  I am hoping to hear from them soon! 

Hi there

I just actually found out about the UWindsor login on the 21st of April so I wasn't checking it prior to this time.  When I logged in at this time, they had received my application, but it was not showing they had received any documents other than my transcripts.  When my status changed to accepted, they listed all documents only at this time.  Hope this helps! 

This makes me feel a lot better!  My application arrived on April 15th and it only shows that they received my transcripts - however it was confirmed they had my supplementary application as well even though it didn't reflect it on the myuwindsor portal.  Good to know that they're still processing it even though it's not reflected online.  I am hoping to hear from them soon! 

I'm happy to hear this makes you feel better.  It does seem worrying at first when the system does not indicate they have anything!  I'm sure you will hear from them anytime now! :) 

York U MSW Orientations:

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Turtle2014 & Superanxious, is that York Orientation for new students starting in September? I'm a bit confused because it's listed under "practicum events" so it makes me think it's for students who are currently doing their program there? I'm not sure though!

Turtle2014 & Superanxious, is that York Orientation for new students starting in September? I'm a bit confused because it's listed under "practicum events" so it makes me think it's for students who are currently doing their program there? I'm not sure though!I 

I think you're right. I wish I looked more closely before registering lol. I think its for people finishing their first year. 

Best of luck!! Which campus did you apply to?

Turtle2014 & Superanxious, is that York Orientation for new students starting in September? I'm a bit confused because it's listed under "practicum events" so it makes me think it's for students who are currently doing their program there? I'm not sure though!

Hey PsychologyStudent101, I took a look at the website again, and now I'm thinking its for new students because students finishing the winter semester of their first year would have already started a placement in January, so would have the advanced standing students. I think either way, I'm going to go and check it out. You can never be too informed :)

Hey PsychologyStudent101, I took a look at the website again, and now I'm thinking its for new students because students finishing the winter semester of their first year would have already started a placement in January, so would have the advanced standing students. I think either way, I'm going to go and check it out. You can never be too informed :)

Hey again! Yea I thought of that too-- that first year students would already have started their first placement in January. It is possible that that orientation is for their second placement though, which would start in September I think. What do you think?

I think I might just contact the MSW department just to be sure!

I think you're right. I wish I looked more closely before registering lol. I think its for people finishing their first year. 

The York U MSW Orientation should be for the new incoming students, otherwise it wouldn't be for the Advanced Student (the one year program) and 2-year's 1st year students... Because it will be too late for advanced students who are currently doing the program right now--they should be close to completing the placement already and finishing their Practice Research Paper to be ready for graduation in this October.  York's MSW students start the placement in January, finish in June, and need to look for/secure placement during the coming Fall semester, so it does make sense to have the new student Orientation and practicum orientation in a single event, so that students can start to think about the place they want to work. [The 2nd welcoming package I received from York U included two letters, one from the Graduate Program Director of Social Work, the other from School of Social Work's Field Education Manager].    I think they should send out information regarding to the Orientation next week, likely through e-mail from Emma, the graduate program assistant. [i got an email from her on Apr 25 informing me more information will be sent out in coming several weeks about the next steps for the MSW program, including information about courses, registration and enrollment and orientation sessions.]  FYI, though you can't register for the course till June 3, you can start to see what courses will be offered for the coming year and its schedule. Just go to: https://w2prod.sis.yorku.ca/Apps/WebObjects/cdm.woa/15/wo/PHQqq4xCWCILLlBhA2LDKg/4.1.10.7.  Search courses by selecting "Fall/Winter 2014-2015" and "SOWK - Social Work".  Course # with 5xxx are MSW courses. [1xxx - 4xxx are for BSW]

If you want to be sure, you can always contact the Social Work Department to double check with them.   :)  I'm going to York U to attend a whole day Social Work Research Symposium and can check with them regarding to the MSW Orientation.  I'll keep you informed if I got more information. 

Hey again! Yea I thought of that too-- that first year students would already have started their first placement in January. It is possible that that orientation is for their second placement though, which would start in September I think. What do you think?

Yeah, two-year program's 2nd placement starts in September, and the current 1st year students must submit their choices of placement sites by this Feb., so it's too late to have the orientation for 2-year program's 2nd placement now (that usually held in January - "MSW Year 2 Applying for Placement").  http://www.yorku.ca/laps/sowk/practicum/

You can find out lots of useful information from the above link, including the 2-year program's Practicum Manual (although the manual is for last year, they usually only make very small changes, such as dates). Pg 20 on the manual is especially useful when you plan for your course selections. :)   

I received a welcome email last night from Laurier and it's made me even more excited! I'm a little bit bummed that I'm unable to go to any of the headstart dates since I won't be back in Canada until the beginning of August, but I've already read through all of the information and I'm confident I can get it all done!

After living abroad for three years I'm not much looking forward to leaving, but I am very much looking forward to beginning this new part of my life :)

Let me know what they say :)

Turtle2014 and superanxious, I did receive an email today notifying me to sign up for that orientation session! So you were right all along turtle2014!

The email said that the orientation session will give us more info about our funding package, practicum, how to register, etc.

I'm excited to go to the orientation and meet people in the program! :)

Turtle2014 and superanxious, I did receive an email today notifying me to sign up for that orientation session! So you were right all along turtle2014!

The email said that the orientation session will give us more info about our funding package, practicum, how to register, etc.

I'm excited to go to the orientation and meet people in the program! :)

I got that email today too!  :)  Well, I did my BSW at York U, therefore I'm kind of familiar with how York's Social Work Department works and know where to find information before it is publicly announced. I'm excited to go to the orientation too, especially to find out more about the Graduate Assistantship [that's what the $9000 funding is about]. See you around on campus! 

I applied to Advanced Standing in Peel starting in the fall.  My backup is Oshawa starting January 2015 :)

I wonder if it's possible to ask them to include Oshawa as my second choice or if I've already screwed myself into only choosing Peel region. Hopefully we can be future peers!!!

I wonder if it's possible to ask them to include Oshawa as my second choice or if I've already screwed myself into only choosing Peel region. Hopefully we can be future peers!!!

That would be great to know at least one person going into this!  I'd call and ask if you can also apply for the Oshawa 2015 January start as your second choice - the worst they'll say is no.  And as I've heard they have exteneded the deadline to June 1st I'm wondering if that means they aren't full to capacity in Peel for fall - fingers crossed for us both!

I got that email today too!  :)  Well, I did my BSW at York U, therefore I'm kind of familiar with how York's Social Work Department works and know where to find information before it is publicly announced. I'm excited to go to the orientation too, especially to find out more about the Graduate Assistantship [that's what the $9000 funding is about]. See you around on campus!

That's really good that you've got the inside scoop on certain things! I'm also looking forward to finding out more about their graduate assistantship. It's a very generous offer! :)