Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

To those who have been recently posting about University of Calgary's 2 year program:

I have been accepted into this program but into the Clinical stream. I got the acceptance email last Wednesday the 2nd. This school was my top choice so I have already accepted the offer. In the email, it said that I had to let them know by April 15th whether I would accept/decline the offer. So seemingly, those on the waitlist would start hearing back after April 15th. However it seems as if they sent out the acceptance letters according to which stream you chose, so not sure if the ICD letters would have been sent on the same day as the Clinical ones. Anyway, hope this helps :)

Hi ali_son!  I get nervous every time I see someones been accepted into one of Calgary's 2 year MSW's with a specfiic stream.  From my understanding you cannot choose any stream during the foundation year and you apply during your second year to the stream.  Did you mean that on your application you wrote that going into the clinical stream is your intent? This is how I wrote mine....  I am currently on the waitlist still for the clinical stream!  :(    :)     :(

.... ah see now I did it.  I mean that I am on the waitlist for the 2 year MSW, with an application that says I'd like to go into the clinical stream!

Edited by ArcticTeacher

Hi ali_son!  I get nervous every time I see someones been accepted into one of Calgary's 2 year MSW's with a specfiic stream.  From my understanding you cannot choose any stream during the foundation year and you apply during your second year to the stream.  Did you mean that on your application you wrote that going into the clinical stream is your intent? This is how I wrote mine....  I am currently on the waitlist still for the clinical stream!  :(    :)     :(

.... ah see now I did it.  I mean that I am on the waitlist for the 2 year MSW, with an application that says I'd like to go into the clinical stream!

I know how you feel! I'm on the wait list for International and Community Development. Seems as how they only accept 10 applicants for each specialization, it's pretty good to get this far. Good luck! 

Is there a facebook group for the 1 year HBSW program lakehead campus? Please let me know :)

Hey, there is a group created for the 1 year HBSW Thunder Bay Campus. Just type in HBSW T.B. on Facebook. 

i am still on the waiting list for Ryerson advance standing MSW and York advance standing.. i guess at this time is it probably time to admit that i wasn't accepted. Does anyone else know about the waitlist for these two schools?

As it looks like U Windsor MSWwp is processing applications within a three week period, I should  be hearing from them sometime this week.  I am so nervous, and checking the myuwindsor portal ten times a day is not going to make them process it faster, unfortunately.  I am hoping to get good news at the very least before the long weekend next week! 

As it looks like U Windsor MSWwp is processing applications within a three week period, I should be hearing from them sometime this week. I am so nervous, and checking the myuwindsor portal ten times a day is not going to make them process it faster, unfortunately. I am hoping to get good news at the very least before the long weekend next week!

I was accepted today! I had checked a few times already this am and no change until about 1145am when the status changed to accepted final! They received my application on April 16th so three weeks and two days for me! I hope you get accepted!!! Keep checking I'm sure you'll get a response by the end of this week!

I was accepted today! I had checked a few times already this am and no change until about 1145am when the status changed to accepted final! They received my application on April 16th so three weeks and two days for me! I hope you get accepted!!! Keep checking I'm sure you'll get a response by the end of this week!

Just got home and checked and I got accepted too!!!!!1 AHHHHHHH!

Where's the facebook group?  :D

i am still on the waiting list for Ryerson advance standing MSW and York advance standing.. i guess at this time is it probably time to admit that i wasn't accepted. Does anyone else know about the waitlist for these two schools?

Hey, I heard from Ryerson a few weeks ago that I was accepted off the wait list. You never know though because people can still get accepted elsewhere and change their minds. For example, u of t is sending out acceptances off the wait list at the end of May, if there are any. It's a popular school, so you never know... People might end up turning down Ryerson or York if their first choice is u of t.

Call Ryerson if you can, the admin assistant for the msw program is really helpful. Good luck.

Hey, I heard from Ryerson a few weeks ago that I was accepted off the wait list. You never know though because people can still get accepted elsewhere and change their minds. For example, u of t is sending out acceptances off the wait list at the end of May, if there are any. It's a popular school, so you never know... People might end up turning down Ryerson or York if their first choice is u of t.

Call Ryerson if you can, the admin assistant for the msw program is really helpful. Good luck.

How do you know UofT is sending out waitlist admissions at the end of May?

Anyone know if there's been any movement off the U Windsor Regular Track list? I haven't received an e-mail yet notifying applicants that the program is full, so I know there's still hope :) 

Hey there:)  just wondering how you know UofT is sending acceptances at the end of May?

Hi yorkbsw_hopeful -- I was accepted about a month ago the post degree program. They required us to give our response a few weeks ago, so there should be a second batch of acceptances soon based on those replies.

Good luck!

Does anybody know when will University of Waterloo and Western Ontario send out acceptances? Its been over 3 and a half months i applied for the MEng program and haven't heard anything, neither did my status change. I am a foreign student applying from Bangladesh with a GPA of 3.6/4 and a score of 8 in IELTS. Very nervous, don't know why its taking so long :(

what is the best stream to focus on if you want to get into clinical social work?

The best stream is the one that you are the most interested in. If you're not sure what that is, then try doing some more volunteer work to help you figure it out. Your stream will dictate the courses you take and the practicums you get, which will impact your resume and make it easier to get the sorts of jobs you want to get after graduation.

If you like more than one stream and can't decide, consider attending a program with broader stream offerings or even no streams at all. If you apply to a school like U of T with more specialization options, many people pick the stream that they have the most experience in so they can build a strong argument as to why they should be offered admission.

Sometimes people who have extensive experience in a particular area related to social work want to try something different and use school as an opportunity to do so. So they discuss the extensive experience they have in the field and explain why they are interested in learning about a different branch of social work. It still looks stronger to get a bit of experience or volunteer work in the new area of interest, so I'd still recommend volunteer work no matter which of these categories you fall into.

Putting together a strong application is usually a lot of work. It's good that you are getting an early start on this for next year. Good luck!    

Edited by jenste

Does anybody know when will University of Waterloo and Western Ontario send out acceptances? Its been over 3 and a half months i applied for the MEng program and haven't heard anything, neither did my status change. I am a foreign student applying from Bangladesh with a GPA of 3.6/4 and a score of 8 in IELTS. Very nervous, don't know why its taking so long :(

This thread is for Masters of Social Work discussion. Try the Engineering forum. :)