Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

I just got a call from Angela (U of T) today informing me I've been accepted off the wait list! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Congratulations! Are you advanced standing or the two year program?

Just got accepted into the Two Year MSW Clinical Stream program at U of C!  My hands were shaking and the tears came! Can't wait to meet with anyone here who is going!  And LetsPlayHungryHungryHippos, Calgary is AWESOME!  And the clinical program holds a lot of weight for jobs, whether you are in Alberta or Ontario.  Psychotherapy is also a regulated profession with their own college in Ontario as of this past April so thats a bonus for us clinical RSW's!  Come and have a view of the rocky mountains!

Hi Everyone  :)

I have applied for Master of Electrical and Computer Engineering(MEng) at Concordia, Calgary and Ottawa-Carleton for Winter Semester 2015.

I have sent my applications on 30th April and to my knowledge all of the required documents are complete. Anyone has any Idea when  can I expect to have received their Acceptance or Rejection email?  Any similar experiences?

Hey Naveed,

Hope all goes well with your application. Unfortunately, this thread is for Masters of Social Work applicants. Might want to see if there is a thread created already for Meng or create one yourself and start a dialogue :) I'm sure there's others who have questions. Best of luck! 

Hi Everyone  :)

I have applied for Master of Electrical and Computer Engineering(MEng) at Concordia, Calgary and Ottawa-Carleton for Winter Semester 2015.

I have sent my applications on 30th April and to my knowledge all of the required documents are complete. Anyone has any Idea when  can I expect to have received their Acceptance or Rejection email?  Any similar experiences?

Congrats! I'm still waiting on Windsor myself, so if you stick with Laurier maybe a spot will open up for me ;) Haven't given up hope yet! I was looking back on threads from 2013 and some people found out well into July. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just wish the process didn't take so long. The waiting is torture. Patience isn't my strong suit, so this is a really good lesson for me in developing that skill. 

I was just accepted off of the waitlist for Windsor. I'm quite pleased with Laurier, so I find it likely that I'll reject the offer. Hopefully someone deserving gets my spot!

Edited by AENMSW

Just got accepted into the Two Year MSW Clinical Stream program at U of C!  My hands were shaking and the tears came! Can't wait to meet with anyone here who is going!  And LetsPlayHungryHungryHippos, Calgary is AWESOME!  And the clinical program holds a lot of weight for jobs, whether you are in Alberta or Ontario.  Psychotherapy is also a regulated profession with their own college in Ontario as of this past April so thats a bonus for us clinical RSW's!  Come and have a view of the rocky mountains!

Thanks for the shout out and congratulations, you must be so happy!

I actually not too sure on my interest for clinical social work, that's a huge factor when it comes to my deciding whether or not I will take the placement.  I'm still all over the place on that regard; I'm still interested in policy, international social work, health promotion, hospital social work, etc.

The rockies sure do sound tempting though :P

Are people still holding out on UofT 2 year?  Or is it a general consensus that it's super unlikely after this point?

I've pretty much given up all hope but you know as they say "it's not over til it's over". Based on gradcafe I think 3 people were accepted last week so I guess that's that for now. 

I am super pumped to make my application better this Fall for next year and I wish it were time to apply again ahah :)

Anyone heard of any admissions for UofT advanced standing? Any friends of friends heard anything? My work contract is ending and I don't want to make a commitment to a job I won't be around for...

Going so crazy!

Anyone heard of any admissions for UofT advanced standing? Any friends of friends heard anything? My work contract is ending and I don't want to make a commitment to a job I won't be around for...

Going so crazy!

I know the odds are better for the advanced standing, but if I were you I would commit to the contract. At the end of the day you can go to your employer and explain that there was no way for you to know that you would get off the list. I'm sure they will understand in the end if you give them enough notice. That is what I have done. You have to cover all your bases. Just my advice take it or leave it.

Hey, I just spoke to Angela about the 2-year MSW program. She said everyone who has been accepted off the waitlist thus far has been contacted already, but said it's an ongoing process. :( Good luck to everyone! I hope some spots open up for us.

I've already kind of given up hope and am wishing it was time to apply again.

Gah. Feeling deflated. I guess I should of applied to more than one school. 

I thought I was a shoo-in with the amount of experience I have, even though I only have a B+ average. But I guess U of T places more weight on grades/research. 

Maybe my resume/ written statement wasn't articulated well enough either. 

I'm wondering if my undergraduate degree is hurting me too, I have a combined degree in English Literature and Women's Studies. 

Only thing I can improve on is my written statement and resume for next year. And I'll be applying to more schools. 

Has anyone re-applied to UofT MSW 2-year before? Do you have to resubmit references and transcripts?

Yeah, unfortunately. It's quite a frustrating process having to ask people for references again. I went to UofT for undergrad...so I never had to submit my transcripts, so maybe they keep those on file. 

Edited by jaylynn

Gah. Feeling deflated. I guess I should of applied to more than one school. 

I thought I was a shoo-in with the amount of experience I have, even though I only have a B+ average. But I guess U of T places more weight on grades/research. 

Maybe my resume/ written statement wasn't articulated well enough either. 

I'm wondering if my undergraduate degree is hurting me too, I have a combined degree in English Literature and Women's Studies. 

Only thing I can improve on is my written statement and resume for next year. And I'll be applying to more schools. 

I hear you.  I have a B+ (but more recently I took some 200 level courses with A's)  and an undergrad in Business (absoluntely not relevent) and some volunteering and more relevent personal experience.  I recommend contacting Angela and asking if you can speak with someone about your applicaton, though typically they make you wait until after classes start in the fall.  I did get to talk on the phone with someone who told me I had a good application, my grades were good and the only way she would improve it is to change one of my references and get a bit more volunteering.   So I thought I was a shoe in this year, as I am now facilitating peer support groups at BFO as well continuing my work with Hospice Toronto.   But now I am sitting here wait listed again.  What can you do, but refocus and apply again next year. 

Still holding onto the smallest sliver of hope for entry this year into Thunder Bay's campus! I reached out to the social work admissions department and they were kind enough to give me a break down of my application scores - less than one percent off! I'm not sure I wanted to know that. I was told the Thunder Bay campus hasn't opened the waitlist at all yet!

I'm trying to look at this extra year as a blessing in disguise - looking forward to getting more experience in the mean time and I know where my weaknesses were for my application next year. Best of luck to everyone beginning their masters/HBSW programs this year! You have certainly earned your spots!

I hear you.  I have a B+ (but more recently I took some 200 level courses with A's)  and an undergrad in Business (absoluntely not relevent) and some volunteering and more relevent personal experience.  I recommend contacting Angela and asking if you can speak with someone about your applicaton, though typically they make you wait until after classes start in the fall.  I did get to talk on the phone with someone who told me I had a good application, my grades were good and the only way she would improve it is to change one of my references and get a bit more volunteering.   So I thought I was a shoe in this year, as I am now facilitating peer support groups at BFO as well continuing my work with Hospice Toronto.   But now I am sitting here wait listed again.  What can you do, but refocus and apply again next year. 

Thanks I will contact Angela.

Ya, I work full time as an advocate for the non-offending caregivers of children who have been severely physically abused or sexually abused. I work with Child Protection Workers, Detectives, therapists. It's a great job, so I'm thankful for that. But I'm ready to move on.

And I literally just got a call from Angela. And I could barely say yes through my tears.

Is she monitoring this board? haha 

wow... in shock

Congratulations!! I look forward to meeting you in September!

Congratulations!! I look forward to meeting you in September!

C

And I literally just got a call from Angela. And I could barely say yes through my tears.

Is she monitoring this board? haha 

wow... in shock

Congratulations!!!  sounds like you deserve it.