2014 Applicants -- what is your concentration?

annie_lull

The same as ChurchLover.

(Actually promised myself I wouldn't get into the Grad Cafe thing, but was feeling antsy and checked in anyway, and the first post I see is by someone who is most likely applying to the same load of programs as I am. That's gotta be auspicious of... something.)

The same as ChurchLover.

(Actually promised myself I wouldn't get into the Grad Cafe thing, but was feeling antsy and checked in anyway, and the first post I see is by someone who is most likely applying to the same load of programs as I am. That's gotta be auspicious of... something.)

ha i know what you're talking about. i have a friend who specializes in the exactly same area and period as mine. On one hand i think it'll be nice to have a friend working in the same area, but on the other hand it means we're directly competing against each other during admissions..

The same as ChurchLover.

Hey festina lente - high-five(/competitive glare)! Haha. It's nice to see someone else who's interested in American landscape painting. Based on the assorted chuckles I've received after telling people I'm into landscape painting, I didn't think there was much interest out there. I know exactly what you mean though, I had no intention of coming onto GradCafe this application round, yet here I am. Anyway, good luck with everything!

Hey festina lente - high-five(/competitive glare)! Haha. It's nice to see someone else who's interested in American landscape painting. Based on the assorted chuckles I've received after telling people I'm into landscape painting, I didn't think there was much interest out there. I know exactly what you mean though, I had no intention of coming onto GradCafe this application round, yet here I am. Anyway, good luck with everything!

It's almost a shame given your name you're not into Gothic architecture or something, haha. 

FWIW I love landscape painting -- but not the more "popular" or "traditional" american schools (like the Hudson river). I instantly care more about Western Landscape painting -- maybe because I'm from the west, or maybe because I like the colors better. Haven't quite figured it out. 

The good thing about similar concentrations is you can usually end up finding niches in completely different ways. :) 

It's almost a shame given your name you're not into Gothic architecture or something, haha. 

FWIW I love landscape painting -- but not the more "popular" or "traditional" american schools (like the Hudson river). I instantly care more about Western Landscape painting -- maybe because I'm from the west, or maybe because I like the colors better. Haven't quite figured it out. 

The good thing about similar concentrations is you can usually end up finding niches in completely different ways. :)

Haha, yeah, it's actually the work of Frederic Church that I love. However, of course, that's not to say I don't love Gothic architecture as well! (I had the amazing opportunity during my undergrad to study at Cambridge University, and man, seeing King's College Chapel everyday was such a treat I had to try not to take it for granted).

I feel you, though the Hudson River School is my favorite, landscape painting of the American West is fantastic--I've always had a soft spot for Remington and Moran. I'm from the west too (California) so sometimes it's cool to see familiar environs through Romantic eyes. 

You're absolutely right though, even specializations now can seem rather broad considering the myriad ways you could approach a topic. Nice to know you won't necessarily be going head-to-head with someone in your field.

Anyway, good luck with everything! At this point I can almost feel everyone's bated breath. 

Edited by ChurchLover

• 3 weeks later...