Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

I'm throwing in the towel. 0 out 7 programs this year. I really got to re-think what I'll be doing with my life. Anyway what hurts the most is the straight rejections. Not even a single waitlist. Always the same reason: qualified, but not enough space. Maybe I won't make it in academia after all.

Wow, this thread is dead. I feel like mine all just came really late. Just waiting on Boston now!

So, today I got accepted to University of South Florida's Master's program. They offer funding, but only half as much as I've been offered from University of Florida's PhD program. But, I do really like several of the professor's work there, and I've never hung out in Tampa, so I still want to go visit. The e-mail also said they encourage master's studies that do well to continue in their PhD program, so that's good. I also have to consider that it's better not to go to the same school you got your undergrad degree from. Except that UF has more prestige too, so.

Anyway, since I haven't gotten accepted anywhere else, I figure I should at least consider this as my other option. Maybe I'll fall in love the the school and area and figure it's worth it despite less funding, prestige, and only being guaranteed for master's? You never know. And even if I don't end up going, maybe I can connect with some professors that could serve as some long-distance mentors, second readers, etc.

At some point I also want to get more info on the potential of transferring from one PhD program to another (like applying during your second year so you'd be getting your master's at least), but that's probably for another thread. Because it'd be cool to be able to still consider schools that I either got rejected from this time around, or one's that I felt were so out of my league that I didn't even bother applying.

I spoke with a faculty member about this, actually. I'll send you a message tomorrow morning when I have more time. 

@meowth

I am at USF right now for their visitation (PhD). Last night I arrived early and sat in on a class with one of my POIs and it was fantastic. Small class and the students were engaged and bright. And POI was really great!

I suggest visiting campus it's probably the most beautiful campus I have ever set foot on (coming from north east cost schools and Texas gradschool)

It is a qualitative program, they won't even pretend to be quantitative (which is good for me). And then faculty are doing amazing work.

However, the PhD program is new (6 or so years) so there is no job placement history and it's un-ranked. It's a risk. It could be one that pays off. It's probably not such a big risk for your MA. But I am having a very hard time making this decision because I absolutely love it here but I know it's a little risky.

Good luck. Hope this could help.

I spoke with a faculty member about this, actually. I'll send you a message tomorrow morning when I have more time. 

Would you mind messaging me as well? I have been wondering about the same things.

I'm throwing in the towel. 0 out 7 programs this year. I really got to re-think what I'll be doing with my life. Anyway what hurts the most is the straight rejections. Not even a single waitlist. Always the same reason: qualified, but not enough space. Maybe I won't make it in academia after all.

Hey, pinoy, I don't know the 7 programs you've applied to, but are they all straight PhD?  And are you applying with your BA?

If so, then I would try applying to some master's programs or master's programs that are folded into a PhD program.  That could give you a great edge in the PhD application process.

Either way, I'm really really sorry to hear about this =( I know you are a great and truly worthy candidate.

Take the time to process this before moving on.  I had a pretty traumatizing event in my life that I just glossed over by directing my focus elsewhere, and this blindly optimistic attitude so rampant in our country can be really damaging; glossing over something so life-changing actually really harmed my emotional well-being in the end.  

So, I'm not going to tell you "chin up, move on" right away. I'll be here with you, virtually, with a beverage of your choice, a warm meal, awesome fuzzy slippers, a good movie, and lots of hugs.  I'm here for you, pinoysoc!

Edited by gingin6789

@meowth

I am at USF right now for their visitation (PhD). Last night I arrived early and sat in on a class with one of my POIs and it was fantastic. Small class and the students were engaged and bright. And POI was really great!

I suggest visiting campus it's probably the most beautiful campus I have ever set foot on (coming from north east cost schools and Texas gradschool)

It is a qualitative program, they won't even pretend to be quantitative (which is good for me). And then faculty are doing amazing work.

However, the PhD program is new (6 or so years) so there is no job placement history and it's un-ranked. It's a risk. It could be one that pays off. It's probably not such a big risk for your MA. But I am having a very hard time making this decision because I absolutely love it here but I know it's a little risky.

Good luck. Hope this could help.

Hey JustineE, how many students did they accept for the fall? Were most of them there? What are your other options?

I hate to be "that guy" but is anybody, or knows someone, who is not taking their acceptance to Notre Dame? I'm starting to go a little crazy.

No need to think you'll be "that guy." It's a question that's on everyone's mind!

@blackbloc

USF accepted 5 students for the fall. They only ever accept 4-5. 3 of us where there. Two men, one who studied migration and sexuality(international student) and one who studies race, culture, and gender and sex and me (sexuality, disability, social movements). Your international? Many of their students are, out of the ones I met probably about a third (from many different places). It is a stunning campus. Probably the most beautiful campus I have ever been on! The department was wonderful and students bright (I say in on two classes).

My other options as of now (I am still waiting to hear from others) are University of Oklahoma and University of Delaware (which hasn't sent out official offers but I was invited to their recruitment).

I am now having the dilemma of choosing programs. UD is certainly the "better" school. But USF felt right, USF, however, is so new they arn't ranked and there only now is their first cohort going on the job market. It's a risk because the outcomes are even more unclear then at other programs. But most of the students that are at USF choose there over "higher ranked" programs. I asked why, everyone said it was the fit, the feel, and the mentoring.

I hope this helps your decision process. Feel free to message me if you want to know any specifics about the visit.

I hate to be "that guy" but is anybody, or knows someone, who is not taking their acceptance to Notre Dame? I'm starting to go a little crazy.

I will know as early as the 21st. That is when I find out if my SO got a job in the Midwest.

@blackbloc

USF accepted 5 students for the fall. They only ever accept 4-5. 3 of us where there. Two men, one who studied migration and sexuality(international student) and one who studies race, culture, and gender and sex and me (sexuality, disability, social movements). Your international? Many of their students are, out of the ones I met probably about a third (from many different places). It is a stunning campus. Probably the most beautiful campus I have ever been on! The department was wonderful and students bright (I say in on two classes).

My other options as of now (I am still waiting to hear from others) are University of Oklahoma and University of Delaware (which hasn't sent out official offers but I was invited to their recruitment).

I am now having the dilemma of choosing programs. UD is certainly the "better" school. But USF felt right, USF, however, is so new they arn't ranked and there only now is their first cohort going on the job market. It's a risk because the outcomes are even more unclear then at other programs. But most of the students that are at USF choose there over "higher ranked" programs. I asked why, everyone said it was the fit, the feel, and the mentoring.

I hope this helps your decision process. Feel free to message me if you want to know any specifics about the visit.

Yes, I am international (Brazilian). I am pretty excited about USF only by your comments and the comments of one of its current students whom I have been chatting since I've been accepted. Here in Brazil, the prestige of a university won't automatically project you into the job market. 

As a matter of fact, in order to get a job in a public university (the ones that pay better) you will need to go through a public contest with other candidates. It is a three phase contest - written exam, teaching performance, and lastly curriculum analysis. Each phase is eliminatory and the last one classificatory. 

Unless I decide to stay in the US (unlikely), I won’t make a decision based on prestige or the like. 
Thanks JustineE for your very relevant information

Hey Geek I have withdrawn my application from Notre Dame. They said they would not admit me till second round due to funding reasons, but I already have ideal offers of admission so I rejected them. 

Is there anyone who applied to NYU and did not hear back from them? Based on last years' results, NYU seems to be sending out rejections on the same day. Is it possible that my application was not reviewed at all? I'm getting a little worried.

Is there anyone who applied to NYU and did not hear back from them? Based on last years' results, NYU seems to be sending out rejections on the same day. Is it possible that my application was not reviewed at all? I'm getting a little worried.

I would check with them, because for what we know they already sent out acceptances and rejections (got my rejection few days ago by email).

Didn't hear back from NYU either. They're probably sending rejections in batches.

Has anyone else contacted Columbia? What is taking them so long to send those rejection letters out?

I'm in!! It is such a relief.

I emailed the assistant to the sociology graduate director after a few acceptances popped up on the results page yesterday. She replied within an hour saying how happy she was that I emailed her because she had experienced difficulties with my email address. 

Moral of the story: doesn't hurt to ask!!

I'm in!! It is such a relief.

I emailed the assistant to the sociology graduate director after a few acceptances popped up on the results page yesterday. She replied within an hour saying how happy she was that I emailed her because she had experienced difficulties with my email address. 

Moral of the story: doesn't hurt to ask!!

That's super exciting, congrats. 

Got an email from Albany telling me to check their website for their decision (previously I've been on the waitlist) and the website said I was accepted. But they said info about funding would be communicated separately. Considering they said I was waitlisted in the first place because they said there wasn't enough funding, I'm not really sure what to think about it yet.

OFFICIALLY accepted to the University of Delaware!!! The DGS called shortly before 1:10 PM today.  Offer for full funding in the form of tuition waiver, TA or RA position (they decide that late in the summer), and a stipend of $16,650 (9-month stipend -- no stipend during the summer, but you can apply for summer funding).

If anyone has questions, let me know!  Stats are in my signature!