Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

First PhD acceptance! Email from Texas A&M Prof. to IR admits (11 admits). 

Can say I honestly wouldn't have been accepted without the help of many people on this forum and the advice passed down over the years.

Thanks GradCafe :)

Nicely done mate!

First PhD acceptance! Email from Texas A&M Prof. to IR admits (11 admits). 

Can say I honestly wouldn't have been accepted without the help of many people on this forum and the advice passed down over the years.

Thanks GradCafe :)

You're gonna kick ass, AuldReekie!

Rejected in UCSD. I now start worrying whether it is due to the fact that I am international student or my SOP wasn't good enough. It was the same SOP as for Stanford, that is why I am worried. Hope for NYU and Rochester decisions today. 

As far as I remember, someone wrote that s/he would send an email to Northwestern to check what was going on there. It looks one was officially rejected and another person was wait-listed. However, my status was not changed. Does anyone have an idea?

Also rejected at UCSD. They wanted to reject me so much they got up in the middle of the night to do it.

Congrats to those who got in, though!

Their psychology department did that too. Always fun waking up to see you received a rejection email at 2am.

Edited by mb712

Okay, yeah, I've seen that...the only thing is, that's from 2007, and it seems to me that significant movement can happen over 8 years. It might be worth checking if they have an updated dataset, but considering the topic, I'd be a bit surprised.

The problem with the Oprisko paper that the other doesn't *seem* to have is that it only counts the placements at Ph.D. granting institutions. That leaves out a lot of colleges & universities that may only have undergraduate or Master's level polisci programs. I know that may not be the dream placement for many, but in a very competitive market, a job is nice to have even if it isn't R1 or Ph.D. granting. I'd like to see a more comprehensive study, or perhaps one that broke it down by type of institution Ph.D. candidates were placed at & their numbers.

Edited by mooneyed