2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

... Is it safe to assume that most interview invitations have been sent out now this week is nearly over?

I NEED CLOSURE :/ Rejection emails actually sound great. 

(In other news, looking forward to meeting people TPCB and Weill interviews :) )

How do you know this? Have they even begun sending invitations?

"When we are down to the 100-125 we will need the official scores and look for them on our end. For those who have not sent at that point, they should send promptly once receiving an invitation. Those invited should hear by Friday, January 9th."

I had sent them a mail in November about an unrelated topic, this is a part of the reply.

To be honest, I was also surprised at the fact that there's almost nothing on the results page here about MIT biology.

Harvard MCO (molecules, cells and organisms) are also done sending invites, so that's another rejection, though no official rejection letter has been sent.

"I can confirm for you that the invitations to interview with the graduate program have been sent."

Was a mail they sent yesterday in response.

... Is it safe to assume that most interview invitations have been sent out now this week is nearly over?

I NEED CLOSURE :/ Rejection emails actually sound great. 

(In other news, looking forward to meeting people TPCB and Weill interviews :) )

My understanding is a lot of programs send out interview invites in waves, so they may well continue into next week and throughout January. It sucks to be kept waiting. 

Also, unfortunately, it looks like a decent number of programs wait to send out rejections until late Feb/early March (ugh)...

Congrats on the interviews though!

Someone posted that interview status for UCSF's iPQB is up on the application site. Mine was there as well.

Thank you! Mine was updated as well - I would not have noticed without your post  :D

There is a delightful article published in Neuron called "How to be a Graduate Advisee" -- it's a thoughtful flip-side of the coin to "How to Pick a Graduate Advisor", recently mentioned by PeterPanComplex in the Neuro Applicants forum. Although both papers were published in Neuron, the advice given seems applicable to all of the fields represented in this forum. While interview invites continue to trickle in, and some of us are soon to begin or have already begun interview season, both of these papers may be helpful and I have linked them below:

How to be a Graduate Advisee, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896627313011914

How to Pick a Graduate Advisor, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896627313009070

Both are open-access to my knowledge.

I still find it a bit hard to believe that MIT Biology has sent all of the invites when I have only seen one person on the results page get an interview, shouldn't there at least be a couple people who got the interviews here?

The biology program at MIT gets a lot of applications.  I don't remember the exact figure but it is over 3K iirc.  With all grad programs combined, the total number of applications is ~25K (I added 1K to adjust for an increase, otherwise it was ~24K in the 2013-2014 cycle) with only 3,320 being offered admission.

http://web.mit.edu/facts/admission.html

There are only 1, 095 total doctoral students studying science at MIT and whopping 5 Master's students. That number is for all science Ph.D.s, not just biology.  

My guess is that the majority of MIT applicants are not members of Grad Cafe and of those who are most probably do not want to admit they were rejected (or in this case, not offered an interview).  When it comes to things that are self-reported, it is more likely to self-report if one agrees with the outcome or receives a strong emotional response otherwise.  I would also guess that many Grad Cafe members are not posting all of their results, if any at all, in particular if they may feel embarrassed by it.  I only posted one result last year and that was only because I waited, without word either way, until mid-May for that decision.  That ticked me off and I posted just to leave a snarky comment as a heads-up to future applicants.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

It is uninformative to try and calculate stats for MIT's biology program based on the overall stats of all graduate programs, or of the entire school of science for that matter. Remember that each program forms its own committee and conducts its admission business independently of other departments. For example, MIT's material science department just hands out offers of admission to their top candidates without an interview process. 

There are about 240 current PhD students in MIT Biology across all years. So that's about 40 incoming students per year, which means they probably admit 80 or more students per year. I don't think they release the number of applicants (or of invited interviewees) though. 

The biology program at MIT gets a lot of applications.  I don't remember the exact figure but it is over 3K iirc.  With all grad programs combined, the total number of applications is ~25K (I added 1K to adjust for an increase, otherwise it was ~24K in the 2013-2014 cycle) with only 3,320 being offered admission.

http://web.mit.edu/facts/admission.html

There are only 1, 095 total doctoral students studying science at MIT and whopping 5 Master's students. That number is for all science Ph.D.s, not just biology.  

My guess is that the majority of MIT applicants are not members of Grad Cafe and of those who are most probably do not want to admit they were rejected (or in this case, not offered an interview).  When it comes to things that are self-reported, it is more likely to self-report if one agrees with the outcome or receives a strong emotional response otherwise.  I would also guess that many Grad Cafe members are not posting all of their results, if any at all, in particular if they may feel embarrassed by it.  I only posted one result last year and that was only because I waited, without word either way, until mid-May for that decision.  That ticked me off and I posted just to leave a snarky comment as a heads-up to future applicants.  

Edited by Ascinflamm

It is uninformative to try and calculate stats for MIT's biology program based on the overall stats of all graduate programs, or of the entire school of science for that matter. Remember that each program forms its own committee and conducts its admission business independently of other departments. For example, MIT's material science department just hands out offers of admission to their top candidates without an interview process. 

There are about 240 current PhD students in MIT Biology across all years. So that's about 40 incoming students per year, which means they probably admit 80 or more students per year. I don't think they release the number of applicants (or of invited interviewees) though. 

I was only offering one idea to why there may be a lack of updates on the Results page is all.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Hey guys, anyone know much about the reputation of NYU Sackler in the community?

I'm interviewing at Sackler. All I know is the research ranking from the medical school (which is pretty damn strong). Other than that, I have no idea... Would love to know, also! I just applied because its in NYC. 

Hello,

Does anyone hear back from the U of Arizona after the Skype interview? I did the Skype interview and was told I would be hearing back in a week. Now it has been a month but nothing came out...I only saw the post about Skype interview and one rejection. 

Thanks!