2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Does anyone have a quick breakdown of the tuition fees for any of the programs?

Here is a breakdown of Alberta's fees from last year! https://rehabilitation.ualberta.ca/-/media/rehabilitation/faculty-site/departments/csd/documents/graduatestudenthandbook/mscslp2014-2015fees.pdf

Exactly! It's highly competitive and it sucks that some people who would make great SLP's don't get in. I unfortunately, financially can only apply once, and can only apply to one school in my area. That's why backups are needed for me.

The thing with OT is I think it is majority working with elderly patients, there is not as much for pediatrics from what I hear. Has anyone heard differently? 

speechies, are you able to apply in the US? More opportunities. Schools near the border tend to accept lots of us.

I believe if you work for an agency (funded by CCAC for example), you can do home health. I used to work as a behavior therapist for a school-aged child with autism and the OT would come in every 2 weeks to run goals. It was a riot to watch her. It's very physically demanding when working with kids and need a lot of spontaneity. It looked exciting.

Edited by Articklish

speechies, are you able to apply in the US? More opportunities. Schools near the border tend to accept lots of us.

I thought about applying to American schools, but when I was researching them, I made sure to look at the cost breakdowns. Upon seeing them, I promptly gave up on the idea of going to an American school. They could be a great option for some Canadians, but I simply cannot afford it. 

Edited by westerly

Hey guys! Anyone have any idea if April 1st is when we will be getting responses?

Western has April 1st listed as the day offers of admission are sent out and I am assuming UofT will do the same. I know Dal and UofA started sending out acceptances around March 12th last year so hopefully they will have a similar timeline this year!! I'm getting so anxious to hear back... the wait is really stressing me out  :blink:

Hey guys! Anyone have any idea if April 1st is when we will be getting responses? 

Definitely expect a response from Western and UofT either way on April 1st! (Unfortunately if you're not accepted, you'll also receive the news that day) 

I think it was Western that sent out responses right at 12 AM on April 1st last year. 

From my experience (through other people who have applied) Western and U of T are both April 1st. 

ONLY A MONTH AWAY GUYS

Yeah, I think it's around March 15 or just after, whether or not you get accepted. 

I think McGill lets people know mid March?

Last year I believe people who got in heard around March 12,13 and those who did not get in did not hear for another week or two :s

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone waiting! I know what a stressful time this is. And also to mention that I got my acceptance from Dalhousie last year on the morning of March 28th, but I know others started hearing back the week leading up to then too. The wait is almost over! 

Does anyone know if we have to sign up for some application system for Western? 2 years ago when I applied in 2013 they made us sign up to some application where you could check the status of our application? I dont remember what its called but I haven't heard anything from either U of T or Western so I am assuming I do not have to do anything?

Does anyone know if we have to sign up for some application system for Western? 2 years ago when I applied in 2013 they made us sign up to some application where you could check the status of our application? I dont remember what its called but I haven't heard anything from either U of T or Western so I am assuming I do not have to do anything?

This is my first year applying to ontario schools but I do remember reading last year that western sent out student ID numbers around the middle/end of march. It can be used to view your application status on the western website!

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone waiting! I know what a stressful time this is. And also to mention that I got my acceptance from Dalhousie last year on the morning of March 28th, but I know others started hearing back the week leading up to then too. The wait is almost over! 

Thanks CaraL! Were you emailed your acceptance?

Thanks CaraL! Were you emailed your acceptance?

Yep! It's an odd email, it basically tells you that your application has been forwarded to the department of graduate studies with a recommendation for acceptance, but despite the weird wording it's a firm acceptance (so don't freak out and be like WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?! you're in!). I'm not sure what the procedure is like for waitlisting! 

Guys I'm freaking out!!! I received this email today from Vicki Trombley at UofA : 

"I left for a couple of days vacation and I'm just back and found your email.  You will be hearing from me shortly positive news.  We had over 200 applications to the program and yes, Dr. Volden received all the information that was necessary to approve your courses.  I'll be in  touch in the next couple of days if not sooner.  Thank you for your email.

Vicki

*E. Vicki Trombley*

*Administrative Coordinator*

*Communication Sciences & Disorders **

*2-70 Corbett Hall*

*Edmonton AB  T6G 2G4*

*780-492-5088*

*fax:  780-492-9333*

** formerly Speech Pathology & Audiology*" 

I don't want to jump to conclusions but do you think this implies I will be receiving an acceptance email soon?? I got so excited when I read the email  :rolleyes:

Guys I'm freaking out!!! I received this email today from Vicki Trombley at UofA : 

"I left for a couple of days vacation and I'm just back and found your email.  You will be hearing from me shortly positive news.  We had over 200 applications to the program and yes, Dr. Volden received all the information that was necessary to approve your courses.  I'll be in  touch in the next couple of days if not sooner.  Thank you for your email.

Vicki

*E. Vicki Trombley*

*Administrative Coordinator*

*Communication Sciences & Disorders **

*2-70 Corbett Hall*

*Edmonton AB  T6G 2G4*

*780-492-5088*

*fax:  780-492-9333*

** formerly Speech Pathology & Audiology*" 

I don't want to jump to conclusions but do you think this implies I will be receiving an acceptance email soon?? I got so excited when I read the email  :rolleyes:

I can't imagine someone writing that without being sure you're getting in. 

Congrats :)

I just got my official acceptance to UofA!!!!! I am SO happy  :D  This is my second year applying and it is such a relief to finally receive some good news!! It will make the wait until April 1st a lot less stressful! I wish everyone the best of luck  :rolleyes:

I just got an acceptance email from U of A too! I'm beyond thrilled! Congrats to everyone else who was accepted and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!

I just got my official acceptance to UofA!!!!! I am SO happy  :D  This is my second year applying and it is such a relief to finally receive some good news!! It will make the wait until April 1st a lot less stressful! I wish everyone the best of luck  :rolleyes:

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you!

Just got an acceptance letter from U of A. Good luck to you all <3

I just got an acceptance email from U of A too! I'm beyond thrilled! Congrats to everyone else who was accepted and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!

Congratulations, guys!! :) I can't believe U of A is sending out acceptances so early this year :o

Would it be possible for you to share your stats, if you don't mind?

Congratulations, guys!! :) I can't believe U of A is sending out acceptances so early this year :o

Would it be possible for you to share your stats, if you don't mind?

I will PM you my stats :)