2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Just got a rejection from the University of Rhode Island. Wondering what could be the reason. Is it ok if I asked the graduate admissions coordinator?

I don't think you have much to lose by asking. But I would also consider asking your POI. The admissions coordinator is likely to give you a reason like "There were other more qualified applicants." Your POI could potentially tell you specifically what parts of your application were lacking, if they actually respond. Some people might have other advice though

Is anyone aware of any movement on planetary science at either MIT EAPS or Berkeley EPS?

Both of them have sent out acceptances and are having prospective student weekends right around now (Berkeley is next weekend I think, MIT is this weekend). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the bulk of acceptances have already gone out.

Both of them have sent out acceptances and are having prospective student weekends right around now (Berkeley is next weekend I think, MIT is this weekend). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the bulk of acceptances have already gone out.

Ah, thanks for that information! Any ideas when I should expect to see my rejection letters?

Ah, thanks for that information! Any ideas when I should expect to see my rejection letters?

Never.... bwahaha.

Sorry, I was just imagining the admissions panel.

Not to give false hope, but I'm not sure you should expect a rejection letter any time soon.  Considering how popular Berkeley and MIT are, I would think that rejection letters have already been sent.  You may be on a wait list.  You could always contact a POI if you've had previous communication with them. 

Just got an email from my advisor at Rice saying a made the first cut !!!!!!!

Thats interesting, since Rice has already accepted plenty of students. Seeing how you are, I think you may have misread your POIs statement. Think he meant you were the first to get cut out ;)

Still hoping someone as annoying as you don't make it here.

And please don't be sending me PMs, Columbia09.

Edited by prospecting

How did you guys find out how successful your school's graduates are?

Ask your POI, where their students who have graduated have gone.  Ask the the graduate chair what postdocs theirs students have. 

Ask your POI, where their students who have graduated have gone.  Ask the the graduate chair what postdocs theirs students have. 

Did you do any LinkedIn creeping??

Did you do any LinkedIn creeping??

So much. SO MUCH (like I found out my advisor's first grad student just got a TT from creeping). Its ok though, I feel like that kinda creeping is politically correct. 

Emailed my POI and he said he was not satisfied with the interview. Actually in the middle of that conversation, he told me that it was not an interview, it was just chat(have no idea why he said so). Then when he asked me questions, I just answered them shortly and casually. He's interviewing other candidates this week and he's only taking one student this year, so I guess my chance is... Did anyone ever have a not so good interview but still got accepted?

Emailed my POI and he said he was not satisfied with the interview. Actually in the middle of that conversation, he told me that it was not an interview, it was just chat(have no idea why he said so). Then when he asked me questions, I just answered them shortly and casually. He's interviewing other candidates this week and he's only taking one student this year, so I guess my chance is... Did anyone ever have a not so good interview but still got accepted?

That is rough. I have been there myself. First interview didn't go so well(not a trainwreck but I was nervous as hell). After I got my first acceptance to a school the next interview went swimmingly.

I suppose he said it was a "conversation" to get you to open up and elaborate. I am sorry it didn't go well though. I find phone/skype interviews to be particularly difficult. In person I think I interview well but something about being over a phone line that makes me nervous (maybe I m worried the NSA is listening).

These types of things are hard. I worked as a paramedic in my former life and dealt with very stressful situations with the utmost composure, yet I still get nervous when I hear the word "interview". My advice is to keep in mind two things...1. Everyone else is just as nervous if not more nervous then you...this includes both the other candidates and the POI as well...2. They wouldn't interview you if they weren't interested. They know your academic record they simply want to put a face to a name. Also remember they have to sell themselves to you as well, it is a two way street.

All of this is easier said then done but hopefully your next interview will go better.

So much. SO MUCH (like I found out my advisor's first grad student just got a TT from creeping). Its ok though, I feel like that kinda creeping is politically correct. 

LOL so they won't mind if I creep them?? I know one of my POIs creeped me early in the Fall. 

LOL so they won't mind if I creep them?? I know one of my POIs creeped me early in the Fall. 

Absolutely won't mind. Thats what they are there for. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Thank you fromchaos. My POI also kept saying that there was very little about research plans written in my research statement. He told me that the area I listed was broad and he wanted to know which specific project I want to work on, but I just can't find out a very specific problem that I will work on(don't know how specific it should be). He seemed quite unsatisfied with this and told me he had no idea if I can fit in his program.

Uhhh anywayyyyy.......

How did you guys find out how successful your school's graduates are?

Ask them, my POI at Nebraska has a website that shows where all of his students wind up. Mostly in industry so that's why he's probably the closest thing I have to a number one pick