Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Is it generally safe to assume that schools make decisions about M* degrees after PhD ones? Thus, if the results search shows someone accepted to an M* degree, then they've already notified people about the PhD program (even if there are no PhD results showing up)?

Or, asked another way: does anything know anything about Boston University School of Theology? Someone just listed an acceptance to the MDiv program (someone did post an acceptance to the Constructive Theology and Ethics PhD program a week ago, but I've not seen news of any other PhD subfields).

Edited by newenglandshawn

Thanks for clarifying and congratulations! 

Thank you! I have no idea about waitlists, etc. though, or any other field. Just telling you what I know.

Is it generally safe to assume that schools make decisions about M* degrees after PhD ones? Thus, if the results search shows someone accepted to an M* degree, then they've already notified people about the PhD program (even if there are no PhD results showing up)?

Or, asked another way: does anything know anything about Boston University School of Theology? Someone just listed an acceptance to the MDiv program (someone did post an acceptance to the Constructive Theology and Ethics PhD program a week ago, but I've not seen news of any other PhD subfields).

I was one of the people admitted to BU STH in Constructive Theology and Ethics. My understanding is they met two Fridays ago and have contacted everyone admitted - I just got the official letter last week (maybe Friday). Also, I know that they decided not to take students in Hermeneutics this year (for a variety of reasons).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. 

I was one of the people admitted to BU STH in Constructive Theology and Ethics. My understanding is they met two Fridays ago and have contacted everyone admitted - I just got the official letter last week (maybe Friday). Also, I know that they decided not to take students in Hermeneutics this year (for a variety of reasons).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. 

Thanks for the follow-up!

So you're saying that they've notified everyone in all subfields (e.g., Hebrew Bible)? And did you initially find out another way other than the "official letter" (also, was it a snail mail letter?)? I know I could find out all this information by contacting them, but thus far I've avoided contacting any programs so as not to bother them (and, no doubt, as a way of holding on to hope).

At my institution all the M* decisions are separate from doctoral decisions, and even decisions on particular M* degrees are separate from one another. The acceptance/rejection pattern of one degree in no way effects the other.

As far as I know, BUSTH has not yet made decisions yet in practical theology. 

Has anyone received an automated message from Baylor that they didn't receive one of your required documents until today? I received this email just now and I'm wondering if I should contact them to make sure that my application is okay. 

Also, in my dashboard, it says that some of the items in my application are missing or that they were received on 12/16 (due date was 12/15). I never worried about it because I received a confirmation email on 12/16, and I was later waitlisted so I assumed that they were able to review my full application. Should I be concerned and contact them?

Has anyone received an automated message from Baylor that they didn't receive one of your required documents until today? I received this email just now and I'm wondering if I should contact them to make sure that my application is okay. 

Also, in my dashboard, it says that some of the items in my application are missing or that they were received on 12/16 (due date was 12/15). I never worried about it because I received a confirmation email on 12/16, and I was later waitlisted so I assumed that they were able to review my full application. Should I be concerned and contact them?

Definitely contact them. If you've been waitlisted you're probably OK but I would contact them and be sure.

i received a similar message. I was emailed last night that they got my transcripts from themselves as I did my MDiv at Truett Seminary at Baylor and I'm on the waitlist now. So you're not alone.

Emory is out (check earlier posts); if you haven't heard give them a call. Harvard last year was out on February 27th, but might be delayed this year to next week. I hope to God it's not, in which case Harvard will come out tomorrow or Friday. One UCSB acceptance is out, so far as this forum is concerned. Maybe email them as well? Good luck to us all!

I'm wondering the same about UCSB.

hi!

UCSB: I mailed them on a different occasion (which was only an excuse to mail them :)) and they told me that the committee is sitting and reviewing applications right now, and the letters will be sent out in March. According to another's guy POI, it must be by the end of this week. Contradiction is apparent :)

Also, as far as I got it, UCSB has no "waves" of acceptance. According to the survey it's like that: a student is accepted — silence — acceptance — silence — rejection — silence. 

Edited by merivo

Georgetown Theology is out. I'm in! Their very nice letter takes the sting off the Chicago rejection a bit.

I was accepted as well and am really excited/grateful. I'm not sure where we'll (I'm married with children) end up but I really like the program at Georgetown. Where does it stand with your other acceptances? 

hi!

UCSB: I mailed them on a different occasion (which was only an excuse to mail them :)) and they told me that the committee is sitting and reviewing applications right now, and the letters will be sent out in March. According to another's guy POI, it must be by the end of this week. Contradiction is apparent :)

Also, as far as I got it, UCSB has no "waves" of acceptance. According to the survey it's like that: a student is accepted — silence — acceptance — silence — rejection — silence. 

Thanks for this! I'm anxious to hear back from them, as it was the only Religious Studies program to which I applied.

Thanks for this! I'm anxious to hear back from them, as it was the only Religious Studies program to which I applied.

Wow! Fingers crossed for you! I hope you will be there. UCSB is an important place, but I'd like to be more at Hopkins. Still, I have HUJI acceptance, and even some funding was eventually allocated for me... if I work there as a programmer at completely different field. So, this acceptance is not a serious thing. 

Emory is out (check earlier posts); if you haven't heard give them a call. Harvard last year was out on February 27th, but might be delayed this year to next week. I hope to God it's not, in which case Harvard will come out tomorrow or Friday. One UCSB acceptance is out, so far as this forum is concerned. Maybe email them as well? Good luck to us all!

Thanks Doobie ! You are rocking this season. Georgetown is Fab. good luck!