Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

My feeling is that it would have been nice to know these details up front (assuming that it is the deal for us, and not something different for 2011-12, which is CED5220's opinion as expressed on the spreadsheet). Simply because my side project proposal was somewhat location specific too- I'm an arts writer, and am interesting in documenting the contemporary art community in Istanbul where I have relationships with artists and curators. Not that I can't travel from other locations in the country to do this, but I wouldn't have discussed it in my application had I known there was absolutely no chance of being placed in Istanbul, which the new description would imply. Hopefully this won't interfere with my chances of getting picked!

No you're right! It has changed a lot; the description was more open ended before and didn't mention regions etc. I had saved the old description in bullet points last fall when putting my application together. Here it is to compare with the new one...

● Applicants must be native speakers of English:

● Knowledge of basic Turkish is recommended but not required:

● Fulbright ETAs are also eligible for the Critical Language

Enhancement Award on page 17:

● Applications are welcome from well-rounded candidates at all degree levels:

● irrespective of field of study:

● with the initiative to assist in teaching conversational English to

university students:

● Preference will be given to applicants in the social sciences,

humanities, English language and American studies:

● Previous teaching experience is helpful but not required:

● Successful candidates will not just be teaching English:

● But also explaining their country to Turkish counterparts who have

little contextual understanding of the United States:

● Applicants should submit descriptions of their study

● and/or career interests:

● Research proposals are not required;

● however, applicants may propose small research projects that will

not conflict with assigned classroom responsibilities:

● Grantees will be affiliated with Turkish universities:

● Positions involve working under the supervision of established teachers:

● ETAs may help teach classes in which conversation:

● and other skills such as vocabulary building:

● writing and:

● reading will be emphasized:

● Usually 12 hours a week in class are expected:

● as well as other support activity:

● Placement may be in cities other than Istanbul and Ankara

Here is the new University one:

Candidate profile Applications will be accepted from adventurous, well-rounded candidates at all degree levels, irrespective of field of study, with the initiative to assist in teaching conversational English to students in the pioneering new universities being set up by YÖK (the Turkish Higher Education Council) throughout the country. Preference will be given to graduating seniors in the humanities, social sciences, English language and American studies. Previous teaching experience is helpful but not required. Successful candidates will not just be assistant-teaching English but also explaining their country to Turkish counterparts who have little contextual understanding of the United States. Applicants should submit descriptions of their study and/or career interests. Research proposals are not required; however, applicants may propose small research projects that will not conflict with assigned classroom responsibilities. Candidates may indicate intensive language study – either with CLEA or privately at their own expense – in their free time, instead of proposing research.

Affiliation 35 ETAs will be placed in new universities in central, southeastern and eastern Turkey in Academic Year 2011-2012 to support the teaching and learning of English. These ETAs will spend approximately 20 hours per week teaching English (with a focus on speaking/listening skills), plus requisite class preparation time and school-related activities. The assignment may vary, depending on a school’s needs and the ETAs’ personal strengths and interests.

I just got an email from Rachel Holskin. I'm guessing it was sent to all Alternates. I don't remember the Alternates from last year saying that they received this email. Did anyone else in Europe get this?

"Greetings,

As you have been identified as an alternate for a 2010-2011 Fulbright grant within the Europe/Eurasia region, we would like to request that you save the following dates in the event you are promoted from alternate status. If you are selected to receive a Fulbright grant, you will be required to attend the following mandatory pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. before you leave for your grant......"

I just got an email from Rachel Holskin. I'm guessing it was sent to all Alternates. I don't remember the Alternates from last year saying that they received this email. Did anyone else in Europe get this?

"Greetings,

As you have been identified as an alternate for a 2010-2011 Fulbright grant within the Europe/Eurasia region, we would like to request that you save the following dates in the event you are promoted from alternate status. If you are selected to receive a Fulbright grant, you will be required to attend the following mandatory pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. before you leave for your grant......"

Received the same message. I am one of the alternates for Croatia. Any other alternates received the same email?

"Greetings,

I didn't see one, but that's probably because Japan doesn't have a pre-departure orientation.

The waiting continues!

Received the same message. I am one of the alternates for Croatia. Any other alternates received the same email?

I'm a Croatia-Alternate as well, and received the same message. Crossing fingers and knocking on wood for the both of us!

"Greetings,

...must be a standard email. I'm a finalist for Egypt (no selections yet) and I got almost precisely the same note (with "finalist" instead of "alternate" and "Middle East/ North Africa" instead of "Europe.")

Anyway... I saw that the email was from Jermaine Jones (our Fulbright go-to guy) and had a mini panic attack, thinking it was a notification. This sort of thing is happening a lot recently- last week my school's FPA sent me an email with the word "fulbright" in the subject line and i lept from my chair. (the content of her email? To check the status of my app).

hmph- all this waiting is like a roller coaster set to "speed-ball." I hope our notes come soon!

...and good luck to the alternates! limbo can be rough.

...must be a standard email. I'm a finalist for Egypt (no selections yet) and I got almost precisely the same note (with "finalist" instead of "alternate" and "Middle East/ North Africa" instead of "Europe.")

Anyway... I saw that the email was from Jermaine Jones (our Fulbright go-to guy) and had a mini panic attack, thinking it was a notification. This sort of thing is happening a lot recently- last week my school's FPA sent me an email with the word "fulbright" in the subject line and i lept from my chair. (the content of her email? To check the status of my app).

hmph- all this waiting is like a roller coaster set to "speed-ball." I hope our notes come soon!

...and good luck to the alternates! limbo can be rough.

oh my god....i did not get this email! i'm an alternate for europe/eurasia :((

I got a letter from my country's Fulbright Commission asking me to send in/ scan a form that indicates my desire to stay on as an alternate. The director wrote a nice letter saying that if one of the principals drop out then alternates are taken.

Did anyone else receive a letter from South Korea?

oh my god....i did not get this email! i'm an alternate for europe/eurasia sad.gif(

Does your country/region have an orientation? If not, there would be no reason for you to have gotten one. However, either way I wouldn't be too worried..

oh my god....i did not get this email! i'm an alternate for europe/eurasia :((

Not all of the countries have pre-departures in DC, so you might fall under that category. I didn't get one either because Japan doesn't have a pre-departure.

Would any Turkey ETAs be willing to contact the Fulbright office in Turkey to see if they have finalized placements/when they plan on having placements finalized by?

Here is an e-mail address from the Turkey Fulbright website (http://www.fulbright.org.tr/en/contact-us):

Scholarships for Americans

Seçil Yazıcıoğlu / Ayşe Sipahioğlu

amprog@fulbright.org.tr

I was a Poland alternate for about three weeks before being moved to principal status five days ago.

Congratulations!

My wife and I were both alternates to Poland, she for a teaching award (Lodz) and me for a research award (Warsaw). She was moved to principal status six days after our alternate notice, which was now almost a month ago. We are going - starting in Sept. we'll be gone 10 months.

Congratulations on your wife's award!

I seriously wonder what is going on with Poland and the whole alternate status thing. Your wife is the third person not including myself who I know was moved off of the alternate list to principal status (and of course there could be more). Seems like a lot of people!

Anyways, my wife and I will be stationed in Poznan where I will be researching the law of public protest in Poland (and hopefully doing some traveling around Poland).

See you at orientation!

Congratulations!

My wife and I were both alternates to Poland, she for a teaching award (Lodz) and me for a research award (Warsaw). She was moved to principal status six days after our alternate notice, which was now almost a month ago. We are going - starting in Sept. we'll be gone 10 months.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Macau? I got the finalist notice awhile back saying they'll get back to me anytime from late April to late June! That's such a huge window!

I'm really trying to figure out my future plans since I'm about to graduate from grad. school in a week, and I'm having to put the job hunting on hold due to Fulbright.

Thanks for the help!

Omar

I think letters just went out... The finalists have a facebook group that probably has more details:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=186957131829&v=wall&ref=ts

Good luck!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Macau? I got the finalist notice awhile back saying they'll get back to me anytime from late April to late June! That's such a huge window!

I'm really trying to figure out my future plans since I'm about to graduate from grad. school in a week, and I'm having to put the job hunting on hold due to Fulbright.

Thanks for the help!

Omar

Thanks so much for the info!

I didn't mean to create a new thread about this. Yes it seems like some people are hearing back from Fulbright, but others such as myself haven't heard back yet.

I think letters just went out... The finalists have a facebook group that probably has more details:

http://www.facebook....9&v=wall&ref=ts

Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

About two weeks ago one of my colleagues was rejected for an Austrian ETA, and two of my colleagues were notified of their 'alternate' status.

Yesterday the two 'alternates' went 'principal'. They're off to Austria to teach at high schools come 2010-11.

Best,

Zymurgist

In the Spanish full research grant competition. Didn't get the grant, and am more than a little bit humiliated and crushed. Am now determined to write a truly revolutionary dissertation, and then to ram it into their bloody faces and make them rue the day they chose not to link their name to mine.

Best of luck to everyone else in the competition.

In the Spanish full research grant competition. Didn't get the grant, and am more than a little bit humiliated and crushed. Am now determined to write a truly revolutionary dissertation, and then to ram it into their bloody faces and make them rue the day they chose not to link their name to mine.

Not to rub it in, but would you mind updating the spreadsheet?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avu5CeaRG24EdGFXVzh4aUt2ZTFUbTZPdzZiSGRoWUE&hl=en

Sorry you didn't get the grant. But, good attitude! ;)

Hey y'all-

I'm a finalist for Croatia. I say finalist because I haven't received any word at all- no snail mail or email. I'm no longer at my 'current' address; it expired 12/20/09. I've received nothing at my permanent address in the US either.

Any thoughts on the situation? Particular, did anyone who was rejected (and is still reading this forum...) get an email of any kind? I'm hoping here's an envelope with good news somewhere in the world, since I didn't receive the 'alternate' email about keeping DC open.

Thanks!

Edited by AnthroLawyerAborad

Hey Mole, I updated the spreadsheet with your stat. If you want to look at it and make sure I got it right, it's under Spain. Also, out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in? I'm a Spain finalist in Ohio and still haven't heard anything..

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=taWW8xiKve1Tm6Ow6bHdhYA

Hey Mole, I updated the spreadsheet with your stat. If you want to look at it and make sure I got it right, it's under Spain. Also, out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in? I'm a Spain finalist in Ohio and still haven't heard anything..

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=taWW8xiKve1Tm6Ow6bHdhYA

Sally someone messed up all of the notification dates for South/Central Asia. Can you go into your database and fix it? I feel bad for all of the Fulbright South/Central Asia finalists for next year.

Hey y'all-

I'm a finalist for Croatia. I say finalist because I haven't received any word at all- no snail mail or email. I'm no longer at my 'current' address; it expired 12/20/09. I've received nothing at my permanent address in the US either.

Any thoughts on the situation? Particular, did anyone who was rejected (and is still reading this forum...) get an email of any kind? I'm hoping here's an envelope with good news somewhere in the world, since I didn't receive the 'alternate' email about keeping DC open.

Thanks!

Seems like you should have definitely gotten your letter by now, since other Croatia finalists on the spreadsheet heard more than two weeks ago. I would call Rachel Holskin on Monday. It sounds like they may need to reissue your letter. They likely mistakenly sent it to your incorrect current address. That has happened to a lot of others. Apparently they don't pay much attention to the expiration date..

Sally someone messed up all of the notification dates for South/Central Asia. Can you go into your database and fix it? I feel bad for all of the Fulbright South/Central Asia finalists for next year.

Hey, thanks for the alert. Yeah, I can revert back to an old version of the spreadsheet.. how long ago do you think it happened?