MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

14 hours ago, ChrisPW said:

Small world! It's great to see that you're based in San Diego now, I hope you're doing well and that your MFA application process is going smoothly. 

I'm slightly terrified of the possibility of relocating to Cali since I've lived on Long Island all of my life and I've created photographic work only here (including documentary, still life, and landscape images). Do you have an advice for a working artist who might potentially relocate to a totally different location and climate?

Thanks!  Well everyone on the west coast in comparison to people on Long Island are much nicer, the climate is year round acceptable and in the landscape department there is way more stuff to shoot out here. My advice: Assimilate.

Just got wrong mailing from UCLA...
It definitely scared the shit out of me but I'm wondering if anyone else got it? 

I received today a letter addressed to "Prospective Applicant" from the Architecture and Urban Design program.  I just double-checked my whole UCLA app to make sure I didn't apply to the wrong department and everything looks pretty sound!?  Although I enjoy looking through this lovely book the sent me... I wonder why they mailed it to a painting applicant because I was pretty careful during the whole application process and don't think I submitted any evidence of interest in architecture. 

heh... I really hope I wasn't mis-filed or something. I guess I mostly doubt that. 

51 minutes ago, Alment said:

Just got wrong mailing from UCLA...
It definitely scared the shit out of me but I'm wondering if anyone else got it? 

I received today a letter addressed to "Prospective Applicant" from the Architecture and Urban Design program.  I just double-checked my whole UCLA app to make sure I didn't apply to the wrong department and everything looks pretty sound!?  Although I enjoy looking through this lovely book the sent me... I wonder why they mailed it to a painting applicant because I was pretty careful during the whole application process and don't think I submitted any evidence of interest in architecture. 

heh... I really hope I wasn't mis-filed or something. I guess I mostly doubt that. 

The same thing happened to me! A big letter from UCLA...but for Architecture and Urban Design?! I freaked out, wondering if I accidentally applied to the wrong program! But nope, I was okay. Weird.

I got the same thing from the UCLA Acrchitecture School and I hadn't even applied to UCLA.

I have received acceptances to SAIC Low Residency and UC Davis. I am waiting on Bard, CCA, SVA and Yale. I suppose I may be waiting thru February.  

Good luck to everyone. 

Just now, straightlines said:

So I got a call from the same person I talked to last weekend at UA letting me know I've been accepted!

Still havent gotten the official letter yet, and funding decisions are being made on Tuesday.

Congratulations!

38 minutes ago, straightlines said:

So I got a call from the same person I talked to last weekend at UA letting me know I've been accepted!

Still havent gotten the official letter yet, and funding decisions are being made on Tuesday.

Congrats! That's great. I guess I should take that as a rejection for myself though.

Thanks guys!

@nikcav Maybe there's still a chance since all my communications with them have seemed fairly informal and he told me on the phone it still hadn't been processed through the graduate school so the website hasn't been updated and notices haven't gone out yet. Good luck, hopefully you'll hear something soon!

On 1/30/2016 at 10:41 AM, scaredapplicant said:

if anyone has heard anything from Yale please speak up!

I just checked the results page and a painter got an email on Friday for an interview. "Preliminary selection" congrats to whoever it is!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Laceybug said:

I just checked the results page and a painter got an email on Friday for an interview. "Preliminary selection" congrats to whoever it is!!!!!!!!!

check out the Yale 2016 forum to see all the fuss about that haha, it doesn't seem like its real.  I'm pretty sure the notifications haven't gone out yet, but of course that applicant could be a special case?!

Waiting on Yale, Cornell, Claremont, UCLA, SAIC, and Goldsmith's. All Painting/Drawing. I have already interviewed with SAIC (I talked to Candida Alvarez) when they came to LA but not formally. I've noticed some people have heard from SAIC already. Any Painting/Drawing students hear from them yet?

35 minutes ago, LAPHYSICS said:

Waiting on Yale, Cornell, Claremont, UCLA, SAIC, and Goldsmith's. All Painting/Drawing. I have already interviewed with SAIC (I talked to Candida Alvarez) when they came to LA but not formally. I've noticed some people have heard from SAIC already. Any Painting/Drawing students hear from them yet?

I'm pretty sure no SAIC painting applicants have heard yet, or at least I hope not!  Results from previous years lead me to believe SAIC notifies... THIS WEEK!

...and UCLA should be in the middle of Feb :)

Edited by Alment

Aw, crap. I just got invited to interview for The Slade but my funding fell through weeks ago, so now I have to have an awkward conversation with them. After many emails back and forth with their admissions department regarding transatlantic application confusion (and almost a hundred dollars to ship a freaking portfolio cd over the pond), I am at a bit of a loss for what to do. 

Why is there no vomiting emoticon? 

On 1/28/2016 at 3:26 PM, le.xenia said:

Just logged in to Umass Dartmouth account to check whether my trascript has appeared in their system, and saw a message that I have been accepted. I even didn't recieve any letter! Is it real or just a system error? lol

Mine says the same thing, I haven't received anything yet either.

3 minutes ago, Tenbu said:

Mine says the same thing, I haven't received anything yet either.

It's said on their website that they don't divulge admission decision by both telephone and email, so we should expect our letter by post :)

9 minutes ago, le.xenia said:

It's said on their website that they don't divulge admission decision by both telephone and email, so we should expect our letter by post :)

Thanks!

Hey y'all I have been reading this thread along with the yale one and I've seen a lot of people talking about shipping their portfolios to the interview, flying with them, or driving them, but it seems like lots of this talk is by the people applying for painting. This leads me to ask: DO I HAVE TO BRING MY WORK TO MY INTERVIEW???? (because I had no idea!)

I'm applying for sculpture and could straight up not physically carry my portfolio to my interviews.

I know this is a stupid question but any imput would be amazing as I'm really freaking out about it!

4 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Just got an interview request for SAIC Photo department.

This one will be skype (again!) because I'll be flying from Vermont to New York.

I REALLY want to hear from Northwestern....what's going on?!

YAY! amazing!  Was the notification in your email, post, or phone?

13 minutes ago, 09welshs said:

Hey y'all I have been reading this thread along with the yale one and I've seen a lot of people talking about shipping their portfolios to the interview, flying with them, or driving them, but it seems like lots of this talk is by the people applying for painting. This leads me to ask: DO I HAVE TO BRING MY WORK TO MY INTERVIEW???? (because I had no idea!)

I'm applying for sculpture and could straight up not physically carry my portfolio to my interviews.

I know this is a stupid question but any imput would be amazing as I'm really freaking out about it!

When you receive a notification that you are being invited for an interview, the school will provide details about what you should bring.  Painting and Photography students are sometimes asked to bring prints or samples of artworks.  Sculpture students might be asked to being small pieces, or samples of materials - you are definitely not expected to get on a plane with large artworks that don't travel easily!

However, it might be a good idea to make some larger prints of your documentation and bring them in a simple plastic portfolio.  That way your interviewers have something to easily flip through while they talk to you and don't have to fuss with slideroom or digital images.

Just now, Alment said:

YAY! amazing!  Was the notification in your email, post, or phone?

Thanks! I'm surprised I got an interview request from SAIC because my CV was wonky (I realized after I submitted I had two big typos) and I've been second guessing the portfolio I sent. I also applied to Printmedia so we'll see if I get anything from them too.  

I got it via phone call. I'm going to update the results page. 

11 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Just got an interview request for SAIC Photo department. 

This one will be skype (again!) because I'll be flying from Vermont to New York. 

I REALLY want to hear from Northwestern....what's going on?!

Congratulations! 

I'm anxious to hear from Northwestern too!