2 hours ago, JV-K said:

Was this an email response to you asking about the status of your application, or an email they sent out to all candidates?

I emailed the admissions coordinator and asked when offers would be typically sent out and that is what he responded to me!

@Norma955 Congratulations! 

HI, if you don't me asking what was the duration between "Under Evaluation" and "Admitted" for your GSPIA application? :P Just for a rough idea about how much time they take?

2 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I emailed the admissions coordinator and asked when offers would be typically sent out and that is what he responded to me!

Was it A. McKee you emailed or someone else? I don't see someone named as Admissions Coordinator on their website... I should probably just sit tight and wait instead of bugging them by email, but it's hard to not know!!!

17 minutes ago, JV-K said:

Was it A. McKee you emailed or someone else? I don't see someone named as Admissions Coordinator on their website... I should probably just sit tight and wait instead of bugging them by email, but it's hard to not know!!!

I talked to Dr. Phil Ryan. He is the graduate coordinator/advisor/admissions point person and is a fantastic person from all of the communication I have had with him. 

5 hours ago, Investigate311 said:

Any idea about access to NPSIA resources and courses as MPPA electives? I'm planning on hounding the MPPA folks tomorrow with a call, but have similar concerns about the program's limitations. A lot of what I've read is that its focus is Indigenous policy, which is rad if that's your thing, but unfortunately it's not my thing. 

My end goal is Intergovernmental Relations, and as such the MPPA program gives a pretty nice blend of courses and its program so that you are not limited to the international or domestic policy fields. I did a lot of research into their course offerings and they are pretty interesting with quite a bit on global issues, and also a lot of different types of policy aka trade policy, health policy ect. I know that it only outright states the Indigenous policy concentration, but from the alumni listed on their pages, it looks like there are a few more of them (policy analysis and innovation, science and technology). The MPPA program is the oldest public policy program in Canada and from what my research and a few of my profs here are saying, its got A LOT of resources because of that and can really link you into the Federal Government quite well and has a very experienced faculty. But I would be surprised if you are able to take a lot of NPSIA stuff through the MPPA program as the programs seem pretty compartmentalized (but would LOVE to know the findings of your calls as I would love to take NPSIA courses if I go to Carleton). 

Edited by Duplified

10 hours ago, Investigate311 said:

Congrats :) Hopefully I'll see you there in the Fall! I was wondering when your app status changed from incomplete?

Hopefully! :^) And believe my status changed from incomplete back towards the end of January - I had all my documents in before the deadline, including the ones I sent by mail, and they seem to have updated it as soon as they got them. If it still said "incomplete" past the deadline for submission I would have definitely called!

Just got an email from Carleton that I've been given OGS funding!!! :) So I guess they're starting to sift through those applications now too...

17 minutes ago, JV-K said:

Just got an email from Carleton that I've been given OGS funding!!! :) So I guess they're starting to sift through those applications now too...

For the MPPA?

1 minute ago, Hopeful2017 said:

For the MPPA?

I applied to the MPPA and NPSIA for studies at Carleton (as well as GSPIA). For OGS I put MPPA, but it can be taken to NPSIA if I get into NPSIA and would rather take that program (it can't be taken to another school, however).

2 minutes ago, JV-K said:

I applied to the MPPA and NPSIA for studies at Carleton (as well as GSPIA). For OGS I put MPPA, but it can be taken to NPSIA if I get into NPSIA and would rather take that program (it can't be taken to another school, however).

WOW congrats, that is amazing. 

12 minutes ago, JV-K said:

Thats awesome! Congratulations!!!!! Early work pays off haha (I still cant get over how soon the OGS deadline is for Carleton). 

17 minutes ago, YYCapplicant said:

@JV-K Congrats! I also received my OGS funding notice today through NPSIA. Hopefully this means that there is an acceptance pending? (fingers and toes crossed)

What did the email say? 

1 minute ago, mchutchi said:

Anyone's NPSIA status move past 'recommended for assessment' yet? 

Mine's been at "review in progress by department" for the past week or more.

5 minutes ago, YellsHeah said:

Mine's been at "review in progress by department" for the past week or more.

Nice - so at least they are busy over there. Mine has been at 'recommended for assessment' for over a week. Looks like 'review in progress by FGPA' is the next phase in the process. 

Edited by mchutchi

i got a response back to an email I sent to NPSIA about acceptances, and this what Tabatha said:

"We are hoping to have info out in the next two weeks or so."

That falls in line with acceptances given last year, around mid March. It appears that despite increases in applications, they are on track.

For other GSPIA hopefuls who also have 'incomplete' applications despite submitting everything a while back, I just received the following email response that might be helpful:

"The Graduate Studies office is just processing document received during the first week of February, they are dealing with decreased human resources on top of receiving an enormous volume of requests. However, an incomplete file for now will not have a negative impact on your evaluation."

This is good news if, like me, you were worried that those with 'incomplete' files would by default miss out on 1st round considerations. 

1 minute ago, mchutchi said:

For other GSPIA hopefuls who also have 'incomplete' applications despite submitting everything a while back, I just received the following email response that might be helpful:

"The Graduate Studies office is just processing document received during the first week of February, they are dealing with decreased human resources on top of receiving an enormous volume of requests. However, an incomplete file for now will not have a negative impact on your evaluation."

This is good news if, like me, you were worried that those with 'incomplete' files would by default miss out on 1st round considerations. 

Veee appreciated

3 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Hey guys, I was just wondering where everyone stands on the prestige vs. funding debate. Would you attend a school/program with less prestige if the funding was better or vice versa?

Personally I'm not considering funding in my admission decisions - mostly because I am pretty certain I'm not a first-round top-of-the-pile applicant (I know my own limits). So I'll be lucky to get into my first choice or second choice, and I'll stick with them whether I get funding or not.