3 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

GUYS OMG I JUST CHECKED MY APPLICATION AND I HAVE BEEN ADMITTED TO GSPIA WITH $6,000 SCHOLARSHIP PER YEAR SO THAT"S $11,0000 OMGGG I CANNOT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!! 

CONGRATS!!!!

3 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

GUYS OMG I JUST CHECKED MY APPLICATION AND I HAVE BEEN ADMITTED TO GSPIA WITH $6,000 SCHOLARSHIP PER YEAR SO THAT"S $11,0000 OMGGG I CANNOT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!! 

THAT'S WONDERFUL! Bravo! :D Genuinely happy to see acceptances rolling in, guys. This is great. Congratulations!

Hola fellow punk ass refresh-pushing policy junkies. 

Wish I had found the 2017 thread sooner. Undergrad at Queen's; poli sci maj, development minor. Heaps of international internships, volunteer, and work. Had an FSWEP with the DND one summer. Currently finishing up a grad diploma in PR at McGill. Did an exchange year in Finland. First two years of uni were poor grade-wise while the last two and the grad diploma are A- territory. From what I understand, McGill is opening a school of policy studies aimed for a 2018 intake... too bad the timing is off because Montreal is unreaaaaaal. 

I applied to:

UVic's MPA; Status: Under review by department - sounds whack but they have a fantastic relationship with the fed gov't, and you can rig your Masters to have up to 4 paid co-ops. On one hand, if you need 4 co-ops, you're doing something wrong, but on the other, it gives you diverse exposure to different departments whether it's ISED or DFATD, or anything in-between. PLUS they're paid <3 

GSPIA; Status: Incomplete: I can't believe how bad their admin system is. I had to arrange transcripts from three Unis : / 

Carleton; MPPA: My file has said recommended for assessment for a week or two now. However, I'm regretting having not applied to the NPSIA. #Cestlavie. 

MUNK MGA: Under review for 2-3 weeks. 

U of T MPP: See above. 

Hertie School of Governance: Evaluation (yolo'ing for a scholarship to study in Berlin. 

I've emailed GSPIA my concerns about the application status, because I know 100% everything is in. LORs were hard copy and mailed a month ago and received as well. I'll update here when I hear back. So far, my status remains "incomplete" showing one LOR missing. Over the phone, I was told last week that that same LOR is right there in front of them. Soooo I am assuming it's just technical stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Investigate311 said:

Hola fellow punk ass refresh-pushing policy junkies. 

Wish I had found the 2017 thread sooner. Undergrad at Queen's; poli sci maj, development minor. Heaps of international internships, volunteer, and work. Had an FSWEP with the DND one summer. Currently finishing up a grad diploma in PR at McGill. Did an exchange year in Finland. First two years of uni were poor grade-wise while the last two and the grad diploma are A- territory. From what I understand, McGill is opening a school of policy studies aimed for a 2018 intake... too bad the timing is off because Montreal is unreaaaaaal. 

I applied to:

UVic's MPA; Status: Under review by department - sounds whack but they have a fantastic relationship with the fed gov't, and you can rig your Masters to have up to 4 paid co-ops. On one hand, if you need 4 co-ops, you're doing something wrong, but on the other, it gives you diverse exposure to different departments whether it's ISED or DFATD, or anything in-between. PLUS they're paid <3 

GSPIA; Status: Incomplete: I can't believe how bad their admin system is. I had to arrange transcripts from three Unis : / 

Carleton; MPPA: My file has said recommended for assessment for a week or two now. However, I'm regretting having not applied to the NPSIA. #Cestlavie. 

MUNK MGA: Under review for 2-3 weeks. 

U of T MPP: See above. 

Hertie School of Governance: Evaluation (yolo'ing for a scholarship to study in Berlin. 

Welcome! i have an American friend who already got his admission to Hertie, and I have one other acquaintance currently studying there, I think! Nice to see Hertie on your list. 

28 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

Boom! Congrats :)

2 hours ago, Norma955 said:

CONGRATS!!! Happy to hear that!!!!

2 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Update on Carleton's MPPA: The admissions committee has reviewed all the files.  I will be submitting the proposed funding offers to Grad studies this week.  Offers should begin to be sent out next week.

I WILL be recommending your admission.

This is the email I received from their admissions coordinator.

I got exactly the same email from the admissions coordinator as well haha! I'm sooo happy that I got in somewhere, but I also really want to see what the funding package is like. What are your thoughts on Carleton's MPPA vs U of T for the MGA or MPP? 

13 minutes ago, Duplified said:

I got exactly the same email from the admissions coordinator as well haha! I'm sooo happy that I got in somewhere, but I also really want to see what the funding package is like. What are your thoughts on Carleton's MPPA vs U of T for the MGA or MPP? 

So this means we got in then?

I didn't apply to UofT, but I've heard good things about Carleton's MPPA program. However, I think I am more interested in International Affairs vs strictly domestic affairs. My hesitation with doing an MPPA/MPA is that it may be limiting to government - while a master's in global affairs could be applied in both public and private. I also find the courses at NPSIA/GSPIA more interesting, but this is just my personal opinion. 

If Carleton's MPPA program gives me a solid funding package though, it will be super hard to turn down. 

10 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I didn't apply to UofT, but I've heard good things about Carleton's MPPA program. However, I think I am more interested in International Affairs vs strictly domestic affairs. My hesitation with doing an MPPA/MPA is that it may be limiting to government - while a master's in global affairs could be applied in both public and private. I also find the courses at NPSIA/GSPIA more interesting, but this is just my personal opinion. 

If Carleton's MPPA program gives me a solid funding package though, it will be super hard to turn down. 

Yeah this means we got in :D Congrats! We just need to have everything approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs after he submits funding packages. Yeah I am still pretty sold on Munk's MGA as my number 1 if I get in (we might hear back tomorrow), but am worried about the costs of U of T and living in Toronto. I only applied to Carleton and U of T. Also, when I met with Carleton it sounded like they offer very generous funding packages in their MPPA program so that would complicate things as well (but in a great way haha). I am going to be a nervous wreck tomorrow waiting for an email from Munk!

Edited by Duplified

9 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Yeah this means we got in :D Congrats! We just need to have everything approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs after he submits funding packages. Yeah I am still pretty sold on Munk's MGA as my number 1 if I get in (we might hear back tomorrow), but am worried about the costs of U of T and living in Toronto. I only applied to Carleton and U of T. Also, when I met with Carleton it sounded like they offer very generous funding packages in their MPPA program so that would complicate things as well (but in a great way haha). I am going to be a nervous wreck tomorrow waiting for an email from Munk!

Omg wooo awesome!! Congrats to you too :) I didn't apply to Munk or their public policy school, because of their tuition fees and the living costs of Toronto. I have heard some people getting funding packages from MPPA Carleton for like 32k - which is crazy. However, I'm very drawn to a master's in international affairs which is why I'm leaning more towards GSPIA/NPSIA. But, I'll have to see what funding offers I get and make the decisions from there. I work at Global Affairs Canada now and my god is it ever interesting. The field is so diverse and dynamic and I like that you can use the degree both in government or in the private sector. I think Carleton's MPPA program has awesome courses though and I've heard really good feedback on it, especially its coop opportunities. I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it, in terms of making a decision :) Also, take note of this if you're applying to U of T public policy program: 

11 hours ago, YellsHeah said:

Hello all! Been stalking this forum for months now, just made an account now to say...

I GOT AN OFFER FROM GSPIA! And a scholarship of $6000/year! No email, it's all on their portal website! AAAH!

Congrats :) Hopefully I'll see you there in the Fall! I was wondering when your app status changed from incomplete?

6 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Any idea about access to NPSIA resources and courses as MPPA electives? I'm planning on hounding the MPPA folks tomorrow with a call, but have similar concerns about the program's limitations. A lot of what I've read is that its focus is Indigenous policy, which is rad if that's your thing, but unfortunately it's not my thing. 

10 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Update on Carleton's MPPA: The admissions committee has reviewed all the files.  I will be submitting the proposed funding offers to Grad studies this week.  Offers should begin to be sent out next week.

I WILL be recommending your admission.

This is the email I received from their admissions coordinator.

Was this an email response to you asking about the status of your application, or an email they sent out to all candidates?