4 hours ago, Norma955 said:

Hey guys! I received another response today! From the School of International Development and Global Studies at UOttawa, they are offering me a $15,000 dollar scholarship and also a $18,000 Research/TAship... I am in absolute shock. I was already undecided between GSPIA and NPSIA and now my decision is even harder but this program is offering me the most money and I love the area of International development. Helppppp :(

Congratulations! I missed the deadline for SIDGS. 

7 hours ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Primarily because its better suited for my research interests, prefer the faculty, smaller class sizes, usually more funding/co-op.. NPSIA is great too but that's the short version for why.

Does anyone have a sense of whether jobs that one could get out of GSPIA vs NPSIA would be very different? For example, if I'm not sure whether I want to go into international affairs or just government in general (so perhaps domestic policy), would GSPIA be a better fit because it's public AND international affairs? Or would you say the name of the program doesn't matter much and either would prepare you for pretty much any government job, whether focused on domestic or international policy? I'm a bit reluctant to put myself entirely in the "international affairs" boat, because domestic public policy really interests me too...

25 minutes ago, JV-K said:

Does anyone have a sense of whether jobs that one could get out of GSPIA vs NPSIA would be very different? For example, if I'm not sure whether I want to go into international affairs or just government in general (so perhaps domestic policy), would GSPIA be a better fit because it's public AND international affairs? Or would you say the name of the program doesn't matter much and either would prepare you for pretty much any government job, whether focused on domestic or international policy? I'm a bit reluctant to put myself entirely in the "international affairs" boat, because domestic public policy really interests me too...

I would say, given their both in Ottawa, it's probably a wash. NPSIA might be *slightly* better in terms of international jobs as its more well known/prestigious but in terms of domestic federal government jobs I doubt there is much of a difference.

FYI, regarding OGS at UOttawa. Emailed received yesterday from the Awards Office after I asked them if they know when applicants to Social Sciences programs will be notified regarding their OGS UOttawa applications:

There is no specified date. It depends on when the Faulty of Social Sciences send me their results (once I have them it takes about 12-24 hours to send the results to the students).

Usually, the Faculty of Social Sciences finalize their OGS evaluations in March, but it could be April (or even May). We do not impose a deadline.

25 minutes ago, JV-K said:

FYI, regarding OGS at UOttawa. Emailed received yesterday from the Awards Office after I asked them if they know when applicants to Social Sciences programs will be notified regarding their OGS UOttawa applications:

There is no specified date. It depends on when the Faulty of Social Sciences send me their results (once I have them it takes about 12-24 hours to send the results to the students).

Usually, the Faculty of Social Sciences finalize their OGS evaluations in March, but it could be April (or even May). We do not impose a deadline.

Thank you for this! 

1 hour ago, JV-K said:

I think GSPIA is good because it is both public and international affairs like you said. I think with a degree in international affairs you will still be prepared to work in domestic policy, just with a bit more specialization. I almost feel like getting a degree from NPSIA gives you a better advantage it's almost like a "step up", as opposed to strictly learning domestic policy. Personally, with GSPIA or NPSIA you can work in government or private. I don't think international affairs limits you to GAC or anything like that. If anything more government departments are increasing their "international affairs" branches within their respective departments ( such as Environment and Climate Change Canada, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, think tanks, etc). I think it is very versatile and will continue to increase in demand. 

12 hours ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Omg congrats! Very happy for you! I can't advise one way or another, you'll have to research which program will advance your career and personal goals the most :) 

Thank you! Also guys I am really worried about French, I barely know French (very much beginners level) and I wonder if it is required for Ottawa or Carleton and whether it will put me at a disadvantage. 

18 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

Thank you! Also guys I am really worried about French, I barely know French (very much beginners level) and I wonder if it is required for Ottawa or Carleton and whether it will put me at a disadvantage. 

I'm a little worried too! I hardly know French either, and GSPIA requires you do at least one course in your second official language, I believe. So... time to brush up on French this summer I suppose! I'm sure plenty of other students will be in a similar situation and that both schools will have the resources to support learning. Plus, there ought to be plenty of immersion, living in Ottawa!

I dusted off my German a little last summer using Duolingo on my phone, maybe that's a decent place to start for now?

20 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

Not required at Carleton. GSPIA has a language requirement prior to entry. From what I understand they expect applicants to have at the minimum a "passive knowledge" in their 2nd language and they can then advance past that stage through additional language training throughout their degree

2 minutes ago, YellsHeah said:

I'm a little worried too! I hardly know French either, and GSPIA requires you do at least one course in your second official language, I believe. So... time to brush up on French this summer I suppose! I'm sure plenty of other students will be in a similar situation and that both schools will have the resources to support learning. Plus, there ought to be plenty of immersion, living in Ottawa!

I dusted off my German a little last summer using Duolingo on my phone, maybe that's a decent place to start for now?

I am in the exact same boat. If I go to NPSIA I will have to take macroeconomics over the summer and if I go to GSPIA I will have to do some language training for my French. 

35 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

Hey

I have applied for this program too.. I gave them a call they said they are sending offers end of this month. Did you apply for MA or PhD? Mine still under evaluation 

15 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

I am in the exact same boat. If I go to NPSIA I will have to take macroeconomics over the summer and if I go to GSPIA I will have to do some language training for my French. 

Yup! No micro/macro economics credits over here, either :-( My conditional GSPIA offer requires that I take an economics course there though instead of having to get the credits before the fall, I wish Carleton's was the same.

NPSIA requires you to pass a second language test in order to graduate. NPSIA students can take up to language courses for free though, but they do not count towards your degree. 

The difference is with GSPIA you have to actually take a class in French.

Edit: I don't believe Carleton requires French to be your second though - so if you speak Spanish or Mandarin or whatever you're good.

Edited by DefeatistElitist

46 minutes ago, Polici said:

Hey

I have applied for this program too.. I gave them a call they said they are sending offers end of this month. Did you apply for MA or PhD? Mine still under evaluation 

Which program? The School of International Development and Global Studies? I am an undergraduate student so all the programs I applied to are MA. 

5 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

NPSIA requires you to pass a second language test in order to graduate. NPSIA students can take up to language courses for free though, but they do not count towards your degree. 

Edit: I don't believe Carleton requires French to be your second though - so if you speak Spanish or Mandarin or whatever you're good.

Hi all, new user here! You are right, this is what NPSIA says "Accepted languages are those that correspond to the official languages of the United Nations, i.e. Arabic, English, French, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish as well as German, Portuguese, Italian and Japanese. Alternative languages may be considered for departmental approval based on relevancy to the student’s area of study." If any of you know any of these languages you may have to submit documentation/ take a test to show your proficiency. Also if you want to learn French at Carleton, there are courses you could take in summer and finish the language requirement before joining. You could even take a language course during the Fall/ Winter terms. 

Edited by Newr

1 hour ago, YellsHeah said:

I don't think I will ever reach the level of fluency in which I can take a French course (academia in French...!). I will definitely start with Duolingo and I am currently taking Arabic writing courses (which btw is so damn difficult). I will most likely devote my summer to learning French. 

9 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

The GSPIA language situation is far more daunting.... But my thought is I can save it for my second year, and work as hard as possible to prepare myself from now until then. Taking a GRADUATE COURSE in a language one isn't fluent in... I think it will be a challenge but one I am up to.

1 minute ago, DefeatistElitist said:

I was under the impression GSPIA/UOttawa didn't admit people who weren't already bilingual. Was that not the case?

They require a passive knowledge of French, I have a very very very very (keep emphasizing this) knowledge of French. However, it is expected that we work on our French language during our studies and eventually take at least ONE course in French. This sounds very daunting to be honest, learning French for practical reasons is not the same as learning it for academia. 

17 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

They require a passive knowledge of French, I have a very very very very (keep emphasizing this) knowledge of French. However, it is expected that we work on our French language during our studies and eventually take at least ONE course in French. This sounds very daunting to be honest, learning French for practical reasons is not the same as learning it for academia. 

The thought of writing a 20 page paper in French.... 

1 minute ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Ah, just use google translate. That'll do the job /s

I think you'd end up with awkward sentences and language that doesn't mean the same thing in English vs. French lol. Best shot would be to ask a French speaking friend/family member to help. A challenge but manageable.

Just now, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I think you'd end up with awkward sentences and language that doesn't mean the same thing in English vs. French lol. Best shot would be to ask a French speaking friend/family member to help. A challenge but manageable.

I was being sarcastic ahahaah

Definitely do not use google translate.

1 hour ago, Norma955 said:

Which program? The School of International Development and Global Studies? I am an undergraduate student so all the programs I applied to are MA. 

Yes same programme international development and global studies Ottawa u. She said they just start reviewing files. I have to say my file just completed last week and I submitted my supporting documents mid February