Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

1 hour ago, southside said:

Hey y'all!

Long time lurker here, finally had to create an account due to anxiety. Anybody else waiting for UVA and Minnesota?

UVA would have been on my list, except they do not take *any* transfer credit, and I have neither the time nor the patience to start over after just finishing an M.A.  Very unfortunate.  Sounds like a great program.

On 2017-01-29 at 0:40 PM, hyacinthus said:

To anyone having applied to UC Santa Cruz, I was contacted yesterday by the director of graduate studies asking for a full copy of my writing sample (they require only an abstract in their applications.) His response today was that they will be in touch before long, and so I suspect they will be notifying people soon.

Apparently when I said this Sunday, what I meant was that all of the other University of California schools except for Santa Cruz would be notifying people soon

Good news: Claiming one of the UChicago acceptances!

Bad news: List of Berkeley acceptances has been circulated internally. For those of us who hadn't heard, it is truly over. At least that knowledge gives me some peace of mind. Hope it does the same to anyone who was still waiting for come certainty.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances so far! 

Edited by oakeshott

6 minutes ago, oakeshott said:

Good news: Claiming one of the UChicago acceptances!

Bad news: List of Berkeley acceptances has been circulated internally. For those us who hadn't heard, it is truly over. At least that knowledge gives me some peace of mind. Hope it does the same to anyone who was still waiting for come certainty.

Congratulations on UChicago admit. I am wondering if acceptances at UChicago work the same way as you point out, they work at Berkeley? That means those not heard from Chicago should assume the wait is over?

10 minutes ago, swanblack said:

Congratulations on UChicago admit. I am wondering if acceptances at UChicago work the same way as you point out, they work at Berkeley? That means those not heard from Chicago should assume the wait is over?

Thank you!

I'm really not sure. Maybe someone else knows UChicago's MO better than I do.

But for what it's worth, two things:

1. We've been asked to RSVP for the visiting day (March 31) by March 10.
  2. According to the results board, it seems like last cycle acceptances did mostly come on a single day (Feb 3) but some people did not receive rejections until early March... :huh:

I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by oakeshott

15 hours ago, swanblack said:

Congratulations for all of them. I am wondering if the decisions are out at SUNY Albany. When and how did you hear? Was it email or website check?

I got an email from the graduate director on 31st January.

Edited by concrema

13 hours ago, krapp said:

@concrema how was the USC interview? I applied there (IR) and haven't heard a peep

The interview was done with one of the professors and about my theoretical/methodological interests and experiences in the U.S.

The professor told me that I was admitted to their short-list. 

Edited by concrema

2 minutes ago, concrema said:

I am a bit depressed at the Chicago acceptance news. Congrats for those admitted!

Anyone waiting for U-mich, Duke, PSU, Notredame, and UMN?

Duke and ND!
i assume Duke may come tomorrow, if not then next week. Next week is also ND, PSU (feeling), as well as a possibility of Michigan. (if they are kinda early)

9 minutes ago, oakeshott said:

Thank you!

I'm really not sure. Maybe someone else knows UChicago's MO better than I do.

But for what it's worth, two things:

1. We've been asked to RSVP for the visiting day (March 31) by March 10.
  2. According to the results board, it seems like last cycle acceptances did mostly come on a single day (Feb 3) but some people did not receive rejections until early March... :huh:

I wish you the best of luck!

It makes sense now. :) 

9 minutes ago, concrema said:

I got an email from the graduate director 31st January.

Thanks. I was little anxious as it was among the best-fit programs. I got the acceptance today. Funding is pending though.

3 minutes ago, concrema said:

I am a bit depressed at the Chicago acceptance news. Congrats for those admitted!

Waiting on Duke, Notre Dame, and UMN, among others. I thought Duke would come out this week but that's looking increasingly less likely. Oh well. :/ 

Just now, swanblack said:

It makes sense now. :) 

Thanks. I was little anxious as it was among the best-fit programs. I got the acceptance today. Funding is pending though.

Congrats! I didn't know they could hand out acceptances several times! May I ask your concentration?

Keep me in the loop on SUNY Albany. What are your interests? Mine are causes, consequences and control of the spread of nuclear weapons particularly how they influence state behavior vis-a-vis states and non-state actors.

5 minutes ago, swanblack said:

Keep me in the loop on SUNY Albany. What are your interests? Mine are causes, consequences and control of the spread of nuclear weapons particularly how they influence state behavior vis-a-vis states and non-state actors.

Oh, international security. Mine is political parties/legislatures in developing democracies. Certainly a great program. Waiting for the finance decisions and feeling a little nervous. 

And, I'm wondering why they split their acceptance notifications. It gives me false hope for those schools which already gave out their decisions via personalized emails (like U-Chicago, today) :( Maybe I'd rather give up on them. 

Edited by concrema

2 minutes ago, concrema said:

Oh, international security. Mine is political parties/legislatures in developing democracies. Certainly a great program. Waiting for the finance decisions and feeling a little nervous. 

Very interesting interests. The program is a great fit in this area as well. I see several people working in comparative politics subfield with interests overlapping in political parties in developing countries. Best wishes. 

36 minutes ago, concrema said:

Mich, Duke, ND... Waiting for a lot. :lol: