Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

16 minutes ago, GradNYC said:

So  next week Columbia and NYU?

Well I'm counting the no word from NYU as a rejection. And I guess those Columbia posts were trolls, so there's still that. For me, it's Princeton, NYU down, Columbia and Penn to go. Starting to think I should've applied to Temple. 

Yeah, it's a very different experience being geographically restricted. If you're a good applicant, and you submit 12 apps, someone, somewhere, will let you in. But only 4? You can easily slip through the cracks. 

2 minutes ago, sociology27 said:

Well I'm counting the no word from NYU as a rejection. And I guess those Columbia posts were trolls, so there's still that. For me, it's Princeton, NYU down, Columbia and Penn to go. Starting to think I should've applied to Temple. 

Yeah, it's a very different experience being geographically restricted. If you're a good applicant, and you submit 12 apps, someone, somewhere, will let you in. But only 4? You can easily slip through the cracks. 

I totally get it! I wish i could i apply to 12 plus schools but that's not realistic. For some reason i don't think NYU is done yet.... 

24 minutes ago, resDQ said:

how often do you update your letter writers of acceptances/rejections? 

I think it depends on how often you're getting positive (or negative) news. I informed my letter writers when I got my first acceptance, then yesterday I sent them an update (and met with one of them, but I had a meeting scheduled anyway). So once a week? Or once every other week?

But if nothing changes in a week then I wouldn't bother, and honestly if I hadn't had a phone call with a professor at one of the schools I was accepted into I would have waited longer to update my letter writers. That being said, your letter writers/other professors are great resources for what questions you should be asking prospective advisers, what you should expect in terms of funding/resources, things you should know and weigh in your decision, etc.

2 hours ago, Jazahmia said:

Ditto on the change of discipline and the Princeton rejection. I got a double major in Philosophy and English in undergrad, got accepted into UCL and Oxford to get a graduate degree in Philosophy, only to decide to forgo that option to apply for a PhD in Political Science and Public Policy programs. I have to admit, the Princeton rejection made me somewhat fear that I'm making the wrong choice, but then I realized that the freedom to do research in what I am truly passionate about is worth it. Even if I end up rejected from every school I applied to and am on my parents couch next year instead of at a top school, I'll try again and again until I make it because I love the possibility of pursuing the life of the mind and conducting research more than just about anything. Stay in there, if it's what you love, it's worth it. 

Love the positive energy! I'm actually defecting from political science (my major for almost 7 years) to apply for PhD programs in history... >_<

I'm also determined to keep applying until I get to research what I like most. (That is to say, if I got in none of the six programs I applied this time)

Fingers crossed for you! (And myself...)

I had an interview with my POI at MSU and was told that the result would come out early next week. Anyone hearing from MSU?

For Davis, I got an email detailing fundings. It includes living costs with a combination of department stipend and TA ships but does NOT cover non-resident supplemental tuitions for the first two years. They say "once you Advance to Candidacy (typically at the end of your third year) your Nonresident Supplemental Tuition is waived for the following three years."  A little disappointed but expected it. Anyone who knows about California school (Davis, in particular) fundings? Please share some info.

Edited by concrema

45 minutes ago, concrema said:

I had an interview with my POI at MSU and was told that the result would come out early next week. Anyone hearing from MSU?

For Davis, I got an email detailing fundings. It includes living costs with a combination of department stipend and TA ships but does NOT cover non-resident supplemental tuitions for the first two years. They say "once you Advance to Candidacy (typically at the end of your third year) your Nonresident Supplemental Tuition is waived for the following three years."  A little disappointed but expected it. Anyone who knows about California school (Davis, in particular) fundings? Please share some info.

I got an acceptance email from DGS at MSU on Wednesday evening with a full-funding offer for 5-years + stipend and healthcare, as well as an invite to the open house in March. He said that the form acceptance letters hadn't gone out yet, but that they will in the next week or so (which lines up with what you were told, as well). Good luck to you! Perhaps we will meet at the open house!

19 minutes ago, mstama123 said:

I got an acceptance email from DGS at MSU on Wednesday evening with a full-funding offer for 5-years + stipend and healthcare, as well as an invite to the open house in March. He said that the form acceptance letters hadn't gone out yet, but that they will in the next week or so (which lines up with what you were told, as well). Good luck to you! Perhaps we will meet at the open house!

Oh yes, congrats! Maybe, they sent out acceptances with out an interview at the time you got your acceptance. And, they offered an interview around the same time. So, I guess they are thinking of sending out formal letters early next week. Thanks for the info.

Btw, are you from the US? I am wondering if they interview only internationals (my case) 

Edited by concrema

3 minutes ago, concrema said:

Oh yes, congrats! Maybe, they send out acceptances with out an interview at the time you got your acceptance. And, they offered an interview around the same time. So, I guess they are thinking of sending out formal letters early next week. Thanks for the info.

Btw, are you from the US? I am wondering if they interview only internationals (my case) 

Yes, I am from the US.

2 hours ago, concrema said:

I got my Davis offer too - fellowship for the first quarter, but non-resident supplemental tuition not covered for the first year (I'm an American out-of-state applicant). It's a shame because the stipend is actually pretty good (~ $2200/month) but I would be on the hook for 15k in tuition fees during the first year, which seems a little ridiculous. Definitely influencing my decision...

10 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

I got my Davis offer too - fellowship for the first quarter, but non-resident supplemental tuition not covered for the first year (I'm an American out-of-state applicant). It's a shame because the stipend is actually pretty good (~ $2200/month) but I would be on the hook for 15k in tuition fees during the first year, which seems a little ridiculous. Definitely influencing my decision...

My prof is fond of saying "don't ever pay for a PhD...it's a terrible investment".

I'm hoping the fact that I haven't heard anything from MSU has to do with the fact that I live outside the US and not that I'm being rejected...

At this point I'm still waiting on most of my applications (GWU waitlist, NW silent rejection) - UMN may be soon, same with MSU? Any guesses on Georgetown or USC? I'm waiting on CUNY too, but based on the boards they take a decade and a half to send out decisions.

2 hours ago, Monody said:

So definitely no results on the weekend? To one poster above: NYU is certainly out, including acceptances and waitlists.

NYU is out? wow... ok thanks. 

34 minutes ago, krapp said:

I'm hoping the fact that I haven't heard anything from MSU has to do with the fact that I live outside the US and not that I'm being rejected...

At this point I'm still waiting on most of my applications (GWU waitlist, NW silent rejection) - UMN may be soon, same with MSU? Any guesses on Georgetown or USC? I'm waiting on CUNY too, but based on the boards they take a decade and a half to send out decisions.

Yes - from what I understood from the MSU DGS email that I got on Wednesday, they will be updating the application portals next week (or at least shortly thereafter). Hope that helps!

Edited by mstama123

8 minutes ago, mstama123 said:

Yes - from what I understood from the MSU DGS email that I got on Wednesday, they will be updating the application portals next week (or at least shortly thereafter). Hope that helps!

Definitely, good to have an idea when to expect things. Thanks for the heads up! What's your subfield, if you don't mind me asking?

7 minutes ago, krapp said:

Definitely, good to have an idea when to expect things. Thanks for the heads up! What's your subfield, if you don't mind me asking?

My subfield is IR. I was accepted Wednesday night without an interview or anything... There was another poster on here who got an interview request on Wednesday evening from MSU, but I don't know what that person's subfield is. It is possible that they are interviewing only for certain subfields, and sending flat-out acceptances or rejections to others, but unfortunately it's hard to predict :/ I hope you get in if it's one of your top choices though!

Edited by mstama123

23 minutes ago, Kenga said:

Just got accepted into Texas A&M. Email by the DGS including official letter and funding package.

Wow! Congrats! And for the rest of us.... so much for an email free weekend!! :lol:

5 minutes ago, mstama123 said:

My subfield is IR. I was accepted Wednesday night without an interview or anything... There was another poster on here who got an interview request on Wednesday evening from MSU, but I don't know what that person's subfield is. It is possible that they are interviewing only for certain subfields, and sending flat-out acceptances or rejections to others, but unfortunately it's hard to predict :/ I hope you get in if it's one of your top choices though!

Thanks, I'm IR as well so it's just a matter of waiting now. MSU wouldn't be my first pick, but it looks like a solid program. Congrats on the acceptance!

3 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Congratulations, @Kenga! On a Saturday!

Now I'll be on hold to see if I get into the Texan Trilogy, but probably this is too good to be true.

Thanks! They send it out at 9am Central. 
And don't worry too much: I might have gotten it today/this early as I was part of the people visiting in December already.
Stay strong, and I'll see you in March in College Station ;)