Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

3 minutes ago, Kenga said:

Thanks! They send it out at 9am Central. 
And don't worry too much: I might have gotten it today/this early as I was part of the people visiting in December already.
Stay strong, and I'll see you in March in College Station ;)

I'll be on hold.

But sadly we'll not see each other in March. I won't be able to visit any schools. I don't have a visa and it's too expensive to get one for tourists now, pay travel expenses, and then pay everything again and then some more for a J1.

3 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

I'll be on hold.

But sadly we'll not see each other in March. I won't be able to visit any schools. I don't have a visa and it's too expensive to get one for tourists now, pay travel expenses, and then pay everything again and then some more for a J1.

Sorry, just let me know when you hear from them! You'll get in - no doubt.

1 hour ago, RevTheory1126 said:

That's an amazing weekend surprise!!!! congrats!

It really makes the weekend so much better, particularly after Berkeley and Princeton sending out their official rejections on Friday afternoon - right before the weekend. 

3 hours ago, krapp said:

I'm hoping the fact that I haven't heard anything from MSU has to do with the fact that I live outside the US and not that I'm being rejected...

At this point I'm still waiting on most of my applications (GWU waitlist, NW silent rejection) - UMN may be soon, same with MSU? Any guesses on Georgetown or USC? I'm waiting on CUNY too, but based on the boards they take a decade and a half to send out decisions.

Did you just get put on the waitlist for GWU or are were you invited to interview and counting it as a waitlist? Sorry for asking - I'm trying to figure out exactly what they're doing since I know they're waitlisting everyone that doesn't get in after the interview / open house next week. 

5 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

You're a psychic. Got my email of acceptance from TAMU's DGS about an hour ago. Fantastic!

Yay! Congrats! College Station is a very nice city to live in, pretty good food and very affordable.

1 hour ago, HermioneWannabe said:

Did you just get put on the waitlist for GWU or are were you invited to interview and counting it as a waitlist? Sorry for asking - I'm trying to figure out exactly what they're doing since I know they're waitlisting everyone that doesn't get in after the interview / open house next week. 

I was waitlisted from the get-go. Far as I can tell they invited 40 to the visit (I was waitlisted before this). 30 of those get offers, the rest go on the list.

20 hours ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Love the positive energy! I'm actually defecting from political science (my major for almost 7 years) to apply for PhD programs in history... >_<

I'm also determined to keep applying until I get to research what I like most. (That is to say, if I got in none of the six programs I applied this time)

Fingers crossed for you! (And myself...)

@sociology27 and @AnUglyBoringNerd I'm still optimistic! I feel like next week will be a good week for many of us on here. All it takes is one school crazy enough to say yes, and we're golden.

On another note, I'm thinking mid next week for Columbia. Anyone have any inside knowledge for there? Also, did anyone else apply to Berkeley's JSP PhD program? I know this program is more interdisciplinary, but I couldn't find a current forum talking about this program.

8 hours ago, Kenga said:

Just got accepted into Texas A&M. Email by the DGS including official letter and funding package.

Wow, that's massively early based on prior years.  Usually they take until end of Feb.  Are you international perhaps?

31 minutes ago, changeisgood said:

Wow, that's massively early based on prior years.  Usually they take until end of Feb.  Are you international perhaps?

I am. Perhaps this is the reason, but I wasn't expecting it as well for at least a week or two.

14 hours ago, ugurcanevci said:

Am I the only one who applied to UC Irvine among the people here? :)

I had applied to Irvine as well. I received the same email as you, I think, and also had a productive Skype conversation about my interests, the professors I want to work with, and the program. It was centered around visiting day on March 3.

Does anyone know whether a funding package can be 'upgraded'? Say, if some applicants who are offered full fundings opt for other schools, and then, these full funding packages might go to those who previously got only partial funding packages. Does it happen?

Edited by concrema

1 hour ago, concrema said:

Does anyone know whether a funding package can be 'upgraded'? Say, if some applicants who are offered full fundings opt for other schools, and then, these full funding packages might go to those who previously got only partial funding packages. Does it happen?

Id say that I would have my doubts considering that there are waitlists.

Edited by Monody

20 hours ago, VMcJ said:

You're a psychic. Got my email of acceptance from TAMU's DGS about an hour ago. Fantastic!

Usually, I'm not one to do this but: I TOLD YOU SO! :D Congrats! 

16 hours ago, changeisgood said:

Yes, I am. And I know the people at A&M well (pre-recruitment visit in December). So all of that might factor in. Let's see whether they send out more acceptances once the week starts again.

And as we head into a probably very busy week here, I noticed only now that two of my SOPs had the type of errors they absolutely should not have. Not typos, but a repeated sentence in one and a truncated phrase in the other. Hope this didn't carry that much weight, but boy how careless.

4 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

And as we head into a probably very busy week here, I noticed only now that two of my SOPs had the type of errors they absolutely should not have. Not typos, but a repeated sentence in one and a truncated phrase in the other. Hope this didn't carry that much weight, but boy how careless.

I noticed the same in mine, unfortunately, but I'm trying not to think about it. I figure if it was something I missed in my 20+ edits, and something my professors missed when reviewing my SOP for me, it can't be something that will hurt me too badly, even if it is noticed. 

One of my professors always says that there is only one way to find all the typos, errors, and mistakes you made in a piece you wrote. It's clicking the submit button. After that, suddenly everything jumps you in the eye. So, don't worry about it.

Edit Reason: I saw a mistake which made the entire sentence illogical.

Edited by Kenga