Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

8 minutes ago, Monody said:

Does anyone have an idea how active NYU's waitlist is going to be? 

I don't see a waitlist at any school budging until after visitations and closer to April 15th. :(

38 minutes ago, resDQ said:

Unless numerous admits are also admitted to Stanford/Harvard then the wait will be long. 

Well, I guess then I consider myself as one of the lucky few that NYU did theoretically consider instead of outright rejecting me. I think as a program that revels in positive thought, they could at least give use our numbers on the waitlist so that we can make better decisions.

Edited by Monody

12 minutes ago, Monody said:

Well, I guess then I consider myself as one of the lucky few that NYU did theoretically consider instead of outright rejecting me. I think as a program that revels in positive thought, they could at least give use our numbers on the waitlist so that we can make better decisions.

Hi, did you get a letter regarding the waitlist from NYU?

6 minutes ago, dododo said:

Hi, did you get a letter regarding the waitlist from NYU?

Yes, I did. I woke up, saw an email from NYU, thought that it was an acceptance, read it, and went into the shower for 20 minutes, being severely disappointed. Interestingly, the email came yesterday at 10 PM right after I went to bed.

Edited by Monody

3 minutes ago, Monody said:

Yes, I did. I woke up, saw an email from NYU, thought that it was an acceptance, read it, and went into the shower for 20 minutes, being severely disappointed.

I see. I guess you are lucky. I haven't received anything from NYU. 

Acceptances as well as wailists are out, so I guess NYU is not for me. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, dododo said:

I see. I guess you are lucky. I haven't received anything from NYU. 

Acceptances as well as wailists are out, so I guess NYU is not for me. Good luck!

Well, it's not worth much, particularly if I don't get an acceptance soon. Ive another application for an MA program in Europe which will press me to accept/decline before the April 15th deadline and I will also have to write more applications which is not particularly the optimal course of things. So a waitlist that only becomes relevant in over two months isn't much in my case, even though I would like to go to NYU. Anyway, good luck on the rest of your applications.

Well, it's not worth much, particularly if I don't get an acceptance soon. Ive another application for an MA program in Europe which will press me to accept/decline before the April 15th deadline and I will also have to write more applications which is not particularly the optimal course of things. So a waitlist that only becomes relevant in over two months isn't much in my case, even though I would like to go to NYU. Anyway, good luck on the rest of your applications.

I see. 

Though better than nothing :)

In case nothing works out for me for theory phds this cycle (all quasi-rejections so far), what's the protocol for MA programs? 

Anyone have any info about the best MA programs for political theory? I've heard of Chicago's and Cambridge Mphil in intellectual history. Are these MAs thought to be worth it or a complete waste of time? 

10 hours ago, oakeshott said:

Bad news: List of Berkeley acceptances has been circulated internally. For those of us who hadn't heard, it is truly over. At least that knowledge gives me some peace of mind. Hope it does the same to anyone who was still waiting for come certainty.

Very sad news, but thanks for the info.

6 hours ago, Monody said:

Eww. 

I wish I could at least be waitlisted somewhere. Then I could realize this effort wasn't in absolute vain. So far, I have received 0 e-mails in my inbox. None. Niente. I guess some of you guys dealt with that over the last cycle. Huge congrats for being so resilient. This feeling of being rejected everywhere is almost unsurmountable, honestly.

10 minutes ago, Mike_Novick said:

I wish I could at least be waitlisted somewhere. Then I could realize this effort wasn't in absolute vain. So far, I have received 0 e-mails in my inbox. None. Niente. I guess some of you guys dealt with that over the last cycle. Huge congrats for being so resilient. This feeling of being rejected everywhere is almost unsurmountable, honestly.

Didn't mean to offend you but from my perspective we are sitting in the same boat. Irregardless of whether my waitlisted status allows me to sit a few centimeters higher, the boat is still unlikely to reach the shore unless an acceptance comes in soon. ;)

Edited by Monody

Didn't mean to offend you but from my perspective we are sitting in the same boat, irregardless of whether my waitlisted status allows me to sit a few centimeters higher. ;)

Yeah, absolutely! Actually I didn't feel ofended by you, I was just complaining loudly... Best of luck through this process!

This process can be pretty capricious. I reiterate: rejections do not mean you're unfit to doctoral studies, nor do acceptances mean you're awesome. I felt awful last year and I know how painful that can be, but there's always next cycle. And this one is far, very far from over. Let's keep up hope, fellas!