Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

12 hours ago, 745m13 said:

Hi! Has anyone heard from Ryerson?

They've sent out their acceptances already, and a lot of people apparently got rejections like a month ago. I haven't heard anything either since a preliminary interview, so I don't know if they're just sending out rejections really slowly, or I'm waitlisted, etc. 

1 hour ago, PhDPLZ said:

Recommended for admission to Windsor :lol:. Does anyone think that I should email back a thank you? 

Congrats! Yes do it for sure! :) I'll be declining my offer from Windsor as well, so if there are any people on the waitlist, I hope it will help one of you :) 

I was all excited this morning because I was "recommended for admission" by my POI at my top choice and told that I would receive an official admissions letter in the coming days. Now I'm realizing this technically isn't an acceptance and I could theoretically be denied the spot? :/

to those who applied to counselling psychology at McGill - I went to the portal to decline my offer for the internship stream and accept another offer at a different school when I noticed my decision for the project stream changed from "decision made" to "in review" again? I am thinking other students declined their offers and now other applicants are being reconsidered but I wasn't even wait-listed so I don't know why this has changed? Anyone else?

Edited by Jungandrestless

2 hours ago, Noctiv said:

I was all excited this morning because I was "recommended for admission" by my POI at my top choice and told that I would receive an official admissions letter in the coming days. Now I'm realizing this technically isn't an acceptance and I could theoretically be denied the spot? :/

I think it is a pretty safe bet that you will get in. Only the Dean can officially accept students, but as long as you meet all the min. requirements it shouldn't be an issue.! 

2 hours ago, Noctiv said:

Congrats! Definitely say thank you!

And I did! Just had to wait and calm down before I sent one so I could make sure I came off as composed haha

6 hours ago, Jungandrestless said:

to those who applied to counselling psychology at McGill - I went to the portal to decline my offer for the internship stream and accept another offer at a different school when I noticed my decision for the project stream changed from "decision made" to "in review" again? I am thinking other students declined their offers and now other applicants are being reconsidered but I wasn't even wait-listed so I don't know why this has changed? Anyone else?

Depending on when you went to the portal, I think there was a deadline time at most schools for when you had to reply by today. After that time, anyone who hadn't responded to an offer basically lost their spot. Not sure if that's what happened, but it might be.

On 09/04/2017 at 6:22 PM, poojan.25 said:

I was rejected everywhere this time and so, I'm looking into applying again in December. I was just wondering, would it help improve my chances to complete a postgrad certificate program such as ABA/IBI (Applied behavioural analysis, behavioural science, etc)? 

It really depends on your proposed area of grad school and what area you would like to research.

Those programs are really tailored for individuals bridging from universities to work within applied instructor therapist positions. Therefore, if the program weights your applied experience very high and your postgrad application is in areas of ABA or disabilities it might be worth the extra certificate. Keep in mind you won't gain a ton of practical experience till after you graduate and work. It will not improve your ability to: conduct general clinical research or understand general psychology statistics (stuff like ANOVAs, regressions, etc.).

Source: I'm a postgrad of a ABA program

10 hours ago, Seaz said:

It really depends on your proposed area of grad school and what area you would like to research.

Those programs are really tailored for individuals bridging from universities to work within applied instructor therapist positions. Therefore, if the program weights your applied experience very high and your postgrad application is in areas of ABA or disabilities it might be worth the extra certificate. Keep in mind you won't gain a ton of practical experience till after you graduate and work. It will not improve your ability to: conduct general clinical research or understand general psychology statistics (stuff like ANOVAs, regressions, etc.).

Source: I'm a postgrad of a ABA program

Thank you so much! That's really helpful :) I guess I should focus more on gaining more research experience and just volunteering to get applied experience. 

Naive question to those accepting/have accepted offers: did you provide your written response as a formal separate document (i.e., a pdf letter addressed to the department) or just provide your response via email? I'm seeing conflicting info online. Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

Naive question to those accepting/have accepted offers: did you provide your written response as a formal separate document (i.e., a pdf letter addressed to the department) or just provide your response via email? I'm seeing conflicting info online. Thanks in advance!

I accepted my offer online. I think most schools have an online portal where you can see your application status and accept/decline offers. I also emailed my future supervisor, as well as the program administrator because that was requested in my acceptance letter. I don't think it's necessary to send a formal letter! 

They are having issues with my electronic admissions account for UWindsor and my stress level is over 9000. 

Edited by PhDPLZ

Just a reminder to everyone that there is always a chance, and to never give up :) So this is my first time applying to a clinical program. I don't have any publications yet, I didn't go to any conferences, and my general GRE scores were not good. I applied to five universities around the Toronto area. For the past few months, I have not heard a thing from either university, and have only been getting rejection emails. In the beginning of April, to my surprise, I received an interview invite from a supervisor at York who I did not initially apply to. I was so excited to go to this interview, as I already thought there is no chance at this point in the year. Today I got officially accepted to the York Clinical program! I am still in shock, and so so happy! 

On 4/20/2017 at 2:41 PM, ClinicalApplicant17 said:

Just a reminder to everyone that there is always a chance, and to never give up :) So this is my first time applying to a clinical program. I don't have any publications yet, I didn't go to any conferences, and my general GRE scores were not good. I applied to five universities around the Toronto area. For the past few months, I have not heard a thing from either university, and have only been getting rejection emails. In the beginning of April, to my surprise, I received an interview invite from a supervisor at York who I did not initially apply to. I was so excited to go to this interview, as I already thought there is no chance at this point in the year. Today I got officially accepted to the York Clinical program! I am still in shock, and so so happy! 

o.O what do you think worked for you?

And congrats! :)

9 hours ago, Jungandrestless said:

Has anyone received CGS funding from off the wait-list (alternate) or known of someone who has? 

I know of people who've gotten SSHRC off the waitlist, if you applied to them. I assume it's a harder to get CIHR if you're waitlisted since they tend to have fewer awards available. 

12 hours ago, Jungandrestless said:

Has anyone received CGS funding from off the wait-list (alternate) or known of someone who has? 

I did. It's possible! I had little hope to get one (I applied for the SSHRC), since I thought I was too far on the list, but ended up getting one :) hsnl is right about the CIHR though, it's much harder to get given the lower number of awards available...