Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

35 minutes ago, Psych.kitty said:

Soo, McGill is probably my only hope. Good luck to everybody!! This wait is so stressful D:

I have not heard a peep from McGill and it is making me nervous :/ 

To those who're waiting to hear back from McGill:

I emailed the program director yesterday regarding when we should expect to hear back, and she said that the applications will be reviewed for "another week or so".

She also said that if you haven't been contacted yet, you probably shouldn't get your hopes up because it likely means no one has come forward to present your application to the admissions committee. 

(I'm one of the unlucky ones I think, but good luck to all of you!)

25 minutes ago, superfruitpsych said:

OISE SCCP Rejection in the mail dated March 8. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejection here too! All the best to those accepted and the best luck to those who are on wait-listed!

I just feel that the grad school application itself is an enduring and strenuous journey, of which the successful admission to the program depends on a basket of factors including professor and research interest, and school factors. It is so difficult that's why it is also very sought after, as it changes the career prospect of our lives.

It can be bumpy and heartbreaking when we realize all the efforts go in vain for the coming academic year, and it's haunting when you think about how much materials to prepare all over again for the next one. This is no easy task, but we aren't battling alone! I somehow feel that getting rejected is better than rejecting others, because it means you stand a chance next year and will not leave hard feelings on the admission committees should you return to that school! 

Getting a rejection can be due to competition against better candidates, unmatched research interest, or the professors have already been selecting students before we know it! It may not be personal, and we always have a second chance if we are determined this is the path to go!

Having an answer is better than having dead silence :) 

9 hours ago, lockman86 said:

Rejection here too! All the best to those accepted and the best luck to those who are on wait-listed!

I just feel that the grad school application itself is an enduring and strenuous journey, of which the successful admission to the program depends on a basket of factors including professor and research interest, and school factors. It is so difficult that's why it is also very sought after, as it changes the career prospect of our lives.

It can be bumpy and heartbreaking when we realize all the efforts go in vain for the coming academic year, and it's haunting when you think about how much materials to prepare all over again for the next one. This is no easy task, but we aren't battling alone! I somehow feel that getting rejected is better than rejecting others, because it means you stand a chance next year and will not leave hard feelings on the admission committees should you return to that school! 

Getting a rejection can be due to competition against better candidates, unmatched research interest, or the professors have already been selecting students before we know it! It may not be personal, and we always have a second chance if we are determined this is the path to go!

I definitely needed to hear this!!

It's true, there are so many factors involved. It's a privilege to even have the opportunity to apply. I'm confident in the fact that we'll get to where we need to be eventually!

10 hours ago, lockman86 said:

I don't know how you stay so positive, you must be young lol

Yes exactly what happened to me too 

10 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

I'm assuming other people got an email this morning saying their CGS M application status had changed, only to enter the portal and find that everything is the exact same? >:(

2 hours ago, delmoon said:

Does anyone know if you get CGS, PIs may take you ?

I've heard of it happening, but mostly in experimental programs where there isn't really an enrolment limit. I think it's worth asking though. 

1 hour ago, Noctiv said:

I'm assuming other people got an email this morning saying their CGS M application status had changed, only to enter the portal and find that everything is the exact same? >:(

This happens when they change the status on the other side - decisions come out April 1st for applicants, but they update on the back end prior to this. I know of some people whose status has updated and some whose status has not. I haven't gotten this email so I'm assuming I'll have my status updated later as I was probably rejected. But this is a guess

2 hours ago, delmoon said:

Does anyone know if you get CGS, PIs may take you ?

This happens sometimes - I know of at least two people that got into Clinical this way. Don't give up hope - if you get it, contact your POI ASAP and see if it can be done. For some schools, where the number they admit is based on funding, you can potentially get in because you're a free student that year! Worth asking. 

1 hour ago, Noctiv said:

Yup, I got this too. It's interesting actually, if you check the updated dates, for me for example, only one of them has changed to today's date, i.e. only one of the universities I applied to. Again, I'm not sure what that means anyway

2 minutes ago, BeezKnees said:

Accepted to York- my top choice school with my top choice POI!!!! Omg I'm gonna cry. 200 applicants, 8 available spots for new students. I'm so excited!!!! I don't even know what to do with myself.

Don't give up guys. This is my 4th round applying, and I've had 55 rejections. I can't even believe this is really happening right now.

Wow congratulations ! I'm very happy for you. 

4 minutes ago, Neposydko said:

Yup, I got this too. It's interesting actually, if you check the updated dates, for me for example, only one of them has changed to today's date, i.e. only one of the universities I applied to. Again, I'm not sure what that means anyway

Hmm.. Looks like that happened to me as well (just 1 school). Odd.

3 minutes ago, BeezKnees said:

Accepted to York- my top choice school with my top choice POI!!!! Omg I'm gonna cry. 200 applicants, 8 available spots for new students. I'm so excited!!!! I don't even know what to do with myself.

Don't give up guys. This is my 4th round applying, and I've had 55 rejections. I can't even believe this is really happening right now.

Congratulations! Good for you, and so nice to hear a success story even after a lot of rejections. Encouraging :)

3 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

Hmm.. Looks like that happened to me as well (just 1 school). Odd.

Does this status change mean you are more likely to be waitlisted or accepted to that school or it doesn't say anything ?

1 minute ago, delmoon said:

Does this status change mean you are more likely to be waitlisted or accepted to that school or it doesn't say anything ?

No idea what it could mean. It still says "Received by administrator" like before, just with the updated date. It might just mean that the decision has been reached for that school, but not the others?

12 minutes ago, BeezKnees said:

Congratulations!! This is such wonderful news. You are a true example of perseverance! If you don't mind sharing your POI with me, that'd be wonderful. Thanks!

I'm wondering if someone is holding on to an offer and not accepting it, is it more or less likely that they will accept it as time goes by? I'm waitlisted and this makes me think that this person's first choice is another place but I don't why they are not just declining if that's the case, it's been 3 weeks since they received their offer. 

2 minutes ago, delmoon said:

I'm wondering if someone is holding on to an offer and not accepting it, is it more or less likely that they will accept it as time goes by? I'm waitlisted and this makes me think that this person's first choice is another place but I don't why they are not just declining if that's the case, it's been 3 weeks since they received their offer. 

I'm not sure I would say it's more or less likely for them to accept it. If they're holding on to it, then it's likely they have a more preferred school and haven't been accepted there yet (or are waiting for funding info). So, they keep their current offer as a backup plan, but don't want to jump the gun. If they've got multiple offers, then one would hope/think they would decline all but the best offer they've received so far.

I'm also in the wait-list boat (looks to be my only shot), but I generally wouldn't expect to know your fate until April, unfortunately. That's when funding information will be released, and when people will need to start making final decisions on their offers, so there will be a lot of shifting around in terms of wait-lists/offers - hopefully enough to push us to the front of the line!