Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, cosimaniehaus said:

Has anyone's myfile been updated with "rejected" or have people been finding out through their POIs? (For York)

I heard directly from my POI via email for York. I'm not sure if MyFile updated or not!

39 minutes ago, Psych.kitty said:

Ahhh anybody heard from McGill yet? Suspense is killing me

I just received an acceptance email into their MA in counselling psychology a couple days ago, so maybe their clinical is sending out right around now too? :) Hopefully you hear soon!

Got accepted for McGill MA Internship Stream for Counselling Psychology, but waitlisted for UBC. UBC is my top choice so it kills

Rejections all around. Third year applying, 11 school apps later (per year). Does anybody have any tips on how they improved their chances for the next round of applications? Such a disheartening process. 

28 minutes ago, Psych.kitty said:

Rejections all around. Third year applying, 11 school apps later (per year). Does anybody have any tips on how they improved their chances for the next round of applications? Such a disheartening process. 

I'm sorry to hear that! I officially received rejections from everywhere as well. If anyone can provide any tips or advice on how to improve and what kinds of experiences to obtain in this time, it would be greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Gossamer said:

Can you be offered a CGS at a school that didn't accept you???

Apparently. I just got offered CGS at somewhere and am waitlisted there... Don't even know what to think of that, as it's also a school I'm not sure I even want to attend any more.

Edit: If you mean for actual rejections, I'm not sure. I have alternative status for uOttawa even though they rejected me. It's an odd process indeed.

Edited by Noctiv

3 hours ago, Noctiv said:

Apparently. I just got offered CGS at somewhere and am waitlisted there... Don't even know what to think of that, as it's also a school I'm not sure I even want to attend any more.

Edit: If you mean for actual rejections, I'm not sure. I have alternative status for uOttawa even though they rejected me. It's an odd process indeed.

I would recommend you contact your POI and let them know. You're now a free student and I know of several people who were accepted in this backdoor way. If you were offered CGS, even if you were rejected by the school, contact your POI and let them know. It could change things. CGS and acceptance are usually done by separate committees. 

On 2017-03-31 at 9:42 AM, poojan.25 said:

I'm sorry to hear that! I officially received rejections from everywhere as well. If anyone can provide any tips or advice on how to improve and what kinds of experiences to obtain in this time, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey friends the process is super shady no joke!! there is a lot of luck involved and connections matter more than they should. i think the most important thing (beyond grades) is your connection with your POI
good to connect early, be able to demonstrate compatible research interests (through projects, volunteering, etc), and if your current supervisor knows them somehow, even just barely, that is very helpful.

Also applying for funding, having lots of research experience, etc

Don't give up!!

12 hours ago, Noctiv said:

Thank you for the info. I was offered CGS from a school I have had not heard from at all. I am assuming rejection but still waiting on the official decision. I wonder - why would they waste a CGS offer on me if I'm not even wait listed?

16 minutes ago, Gossamer said:

Thank you for the info. I was offered CGS from a school I have had not heard from at all. I am assuming rejection but still waiting on the official decision. I wonder - why would they waste a CGS offer on me if I'm not even wait listed?

Well, apparently these decisions are made by separate departments, so they are entirely independent, and sometimes there are conflicts between their decisions. I do think it is strange and seems impractical (and it even wastes the time of those on the alternate list who actually have a chance of attending the institution), but it is what it is. My understanding is that you should consider contacting your department and letting them know that you have received funding, as it may very well factor into their decision.

Got rejected at University of Ottawa for the MA [Ed] in Counselling Psychology, but accepted to the MEd - Concentration in Counselling Psychology (was automatically considered when I hadn't applied to the MEd). 

Edited by BD101

On 4/1/2017 at 11:49 PM, 2016PsycApplicant said:

I have accepted my offer to York's CD program! I am wondering if anyone knows when OGS decisions are released?

Usually OGS are school-dependent, but expect to hear back this month I would say! :)

Just now, cosimaniehaus said:

Does anyone know if schools typically let the people on their waitlist know their status on April 15th or does it take some time for them to send out the second round of offers. 

I'm sure it just depends, but I have an anecdote - one of my POIs just let me know that she will give me a (presumably informal) heads up as soon as she knows about waitlist movement, but that it would be as late as April 15th since that's when people with first offers must respond by.

I'm wondering if some people have already accepted their offers and the schools have not followed up with us regarding our waitlist status. It could also be that some people who have offers are on a waitlist at their top school. I guess it would be in everyone's favour if schools notify their wailist on April 15. Hopefully that's the case

50 minutes ago, cosimaniehaus said:

I'm wondering if some people have already accepted their offers and the schools have not followed up with us regarding our waitlist status. It could also be that some people who have offers are on a waitlist at their top school. I guess it would be in everyone's favour if schools notify their wailist on April 15. Hopefully that's the case

Especially since the funding results are out, I'm really hoping people are making their final decisions now because I'm not sure how long the second round of offers get to decide if say someone got offered on the 14th.

13 minutes ago, superfruitpsych said:

Especially since the funding results are out, I'm really hoping people are making their final decisions now because I'm not sure how long the second round of offers get to decide if say someone got offered on the 14th.

That's true. I'm stressing out because I'm on 3 waitlists. I'm hoping for the best but I don't want to be too hopeful.

51 minutes ago, superfruitpsych said:

This is a good question. Would anyone be able to elaborate whether second/waitlist offers ever get some breathing room beyond April 15th? I ask as I have received an informal (still waiting for the letter) offer from my second-choice university (yay!) but am still holding out to be admitted off the waitlist for my first choice where I have already received SSHRC. The issue being of course that one would feel pressured to accept their existing offer prior to April 15th, even though they may not find out about their first choice until this date :/