Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

29 minutes ago, quantified said:

Hey, congrats! I also received an offer from Penn State! One question, did the letter state the program was "Sociology and Demography"?

I don't know about song95, but I got my official acceptance letter today and all that they've listed on my acceptance letter was "Sociology" despite my filling out the application materials for the dual degree with Demography. If it helps when I did my interview with Prof. Hardy she said that my research would benefit from the demography program so I'm guessing she at least knew I wanted the dual degree.

16 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Umass  Amherst?, I know other departments including my own have been meeting last week for review.... but havent heard on this particular dept. 

I applied there too but haven't heard anything! 

3 minutes ago, Worktime Calzone said:

I don't know about song95, but I got my official acceptance letter today and all that they've listed on my acceptance letter was "Sociology" despite my filling out the application materials for the dual degree with Demography. If it helps when I did my interview with Prof. Hardy she said that my research would benefit from the demography program so I'm guessing she at least knew I wanted the dual degree.

Ok, thank you. Yes, I also stated my interest in the dual program to two of my interviewers, and also got a letter that said "Sociology" only. I suppose the "Demography" part will come later =)

4 minutes ago, mcpphu said:

Has anyone heard from Michigan, Princeton, or Harvard yet? Sounds like they should be notifying people soon hopefully?

Haven't heard from Princeton or Harvard yet. Harvard notified all on one day last  year, so I was hoping to find out today. Princeton seemed to do waves so it may be awhile before we find out.

4 minutes ago, mcpphu said:

Has anyone heard from Michigan, Princeton, or Harvard yet? Sounds like they should be notifying people soon hopefully?

I applied to Princeton and Harvard and haven't heard anything. Michigan is my undergrad institution, so I have friends in the department and it doesn't seem like anything has gone out from there. They seem to be a late notifier in most departments.

24 minutes ago, soc2017 said:

Don't want to be a pest, just want to try bumping once. It seems like every year there is just one round of acceptances. Is it safe to assume if you weren't accepted it's a wait for MAPSS or bust? If any Chicago acceptees/intervieews have a feel, let us know. Thanks and happy weekend!

The impression I got from my interviewer is that 30-35 were shortlisted for interviews, and that offers to ~20-25 have been made. I don't know if there may be a latter wave of offers. Apologies if I'm being the bearer of bad news.

18 minutes ago, Worktime Calzone said:

People who checked their University of Wisconsin - Madison applications, where did you find your acceptance/rejection status? I'm looking right now and all I can figure out is that my application was completed haha

Check your inbox for an email from Wisconsin-Madison in December. There's a different system for accessing results.

1 hour ago, theorynetworkculture said:

Denied by Wisconsin-Madison too, found out on the website.. Pretty annoyed by the lack of courtesy as well: I paid some good money for that application. Wasn't the best fit for me, to be honest. Congratulations to those that got accepted though, it's a great program. Here's hoping for better news from the rest of the schools.

This is one of the programs that I actually thought was one of my better fits so it's been the toughest rejection to take so far for me. But congrats to everybody who got good news from them today! 

Oh follow-up to my post yesterday when I got an informal dept. letter saying I was going to be admitted at Uconn. Right now I nice email from one of the profs that I had said I would like to work with. Basically just a congrats from her, saying she just heard the news and was excited to work with me, and had been very impressed with my application, and to contact her if I had questions or wanted to come visit soon. 

I know a few years ago the dept. didn't have such a great reputation, but I've heard only good things in the last few years... and honestly both my emails so far have been really nice and welcoming. Anyone know any current street rumors about the dept.?

Edited by WorldPeaceMaker2010

15 minutes ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

Rutgers' Graduate Director, Professor Brechin, called this afternoon: I've been admitted with full funding. Definitely one of my top choices, so this is most thrilling. 

Congrats!

17 minutes ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

Rutgers' Graduate Director, Professor Brechin, called this afternoon: I've been admitted with full funding. Definitely one of my top choices, so this is most thrilling. 

Congratulations! 

Did he mention when the rest of the decisions are going out?

41 minutes ago, Socbr said:

Would anyone claim the Notre Dame waitlisting? Did you refeive an e-mail?

I have the same question. I haven't heard from Notre Dame and my application status says no decision has been made yet.

15 minutes ago, Worktime Calzone said:

Rejected from Wisconsin and Duke! :(

I feel your pain, yesterday I was rejected from 2 programs.  It'll get better.  We only need one place to say yes, right?

Also no news at all from PennState all season, should I assume rejection?  

Edited by montanem

14 minutes ago, ruilinch said:

Just heard from a professor at Yale that they only plann to accept 4 or 5 students this year. Tough odds!

Wow! Did she say when decisions would come out?

Edited by Socbr

On 02.02.2017 at 4:26 AM, draco.malfoy said:

Has anyone heard from Northwestern?

Last year they sent both acceptances and rejections 02/18, so that might be another couple of weeks of anxiety.