Things to Do While You Wait for Decisions

3 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Literally same thing happened to me. Woke up, checked my phone. Rejection from Duke. Great start to a Monday.

I was in a linguistics class, with an extremely weird huge smile: was still nurturing the hope I'd gotten in, but laughing internally at the failure this first app season is being.

Fortunately, I was more amused by the second option and was in concert with Duke's adcom. 

20 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

72. Ask my husband for the 100th time, "What if I don't get in at all this year....?" and for the 100th time have him say, "Oh, baby, you're going to be fine either way..." but not feel better.

did this one today too! we decided if i don't get in anywhere he's going to teach me more coding and we can make websites together until the next round of applications. not a bad backup plan, to be honest.

75. Pick a fight with your boyfriend over moral authority and the ethics of positionally. 

76. Binge watch two seasons of The 100 in a week to prepare for the nuclear apocalypse. 

77. Introduce your entire family to board game cafes and then drag them there weekly. 

78. Knit an intensely detailed pair of Harry Potter mittens that probably won't be finished until spring anyway. 

79. Chew your fingers off at the knuckles. 

9 minutes ago, claritus said:

Wait... you can breed horses in the Sims 3???? 

YES. Sort of! Could be better, but I'm waiting for the Sims 4 to have their own pets version!

I keep adding wild horses to my house hold and trying to have the most colorful baby ponies possible.

woops, *household

@tvethiopia I have to confess, it really is. Until I have too many horses and need to chose which one(s) will be sold (understand: lost forever) so I can continue the breeding. ...I really miss horseback riding. hahahaha

81. Consider dashing off an application to UMass Boston's terminal MA because they're close to where all your friends live, fully funded, taking apps until March 1, and you're becoming worried that your lack of MA (and associated lack of teaching experience) means that you don't have a shot at the PhD applications you filled out for this cycle... 

82. Look longingly at the all-faculty photo for one of the programs you still have standing and whisper "I just want to be your friend"

9 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

81. Consider dashing off an application to UMass Boston's terminal MA because they're close to where all your friends live, fully funded, taking apps until March 1, and you're becoming worried that your lack of MA (and associated lack of teaching experience) means that you don't have a shot at the PhD applications you filled out for this cycle... 

Erhm--thanks for that precious info! :D 

45 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Erhm--thanks for that precious info! :D 

Do all of your friends live in Boston too? Your friends and my friends should hang out! 

But just a heads-up I'm looking for rhet/comp... the lit program is still funded, I just know nothing about it. 

8 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

Do all of your friends live in Boston too? Your friends and my friends should hang out! 

But just a heads-up I'm looking for rhet/comp... the lit program is still funded, I just know nothing about it. 

Hahaha no, I have no friends in Boston but I am looking for cool MA's with late deadlines and good funding!

After posting my comment I thought: "Darn it, he might think I'm going to be his competition!" But fortunately it's not the case :D 

"Do the above with a cat and pretend it's reciprocal" can become a pretty interesting answer in this context...

Drink -> Do the above with a cat and pretend it's reciprocal

Go dancing, as there is a good chance you have not done a lot of that, being a nerd and all -> Do the above with a cat and pretend it's reciprocal

Start imagining worst case scenarios -> Do the above with a cat and pretend it's reciprocal

31 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Go dancing, as there is a good chance you have not done a lot of that, being a nerd and all -> Do the above with a cat and pretend it's reciprocal

I dance with my cat all the time.  Since I pick her up, it has to be reciprocal....right?

Funny enough, she gets really worried when people play 'Just Dance' and will grab legs in hopes that folks stop moving so much.

Edited by biyutefulphlower

4 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

Panic over the confirmation of Devos.

Oh my god, I know. I'm so angry. I don't know how to channel it into something productive.

Sooo...add this to the list.

- Find a way to channel anger at government into something productive.

Pulling from the existing list and expanding:

-2016 Taxes 

-2015 Taxes (Yikes, I know) 

-Maybe do the job I'm paid for (teaching English to Japanese high school students)

Instead of these three great options I've been reading GC posts and feeling like I've approached the entire process incorrectly and will maybe get no acceptances this cycle which is a problem because I've already given notice at my current job and so after July my visa will expire and I'll have to leave Japan and where will I even live--etc. I'm handling this process SO WELL*.

Also panicking about Devos.

*This is obviously not true.  

Edit: It's ok, past me! You'll get your first acceptance two minutes after making this post! 

Edited by CaffeineCardigan

I can't seem to stop complaining about how bored I am and I feel like everyone is getting annoyed with me. 

But, it's like all of my anxiety about Grad School combined with going from having 1,000 things to do for applications to just. waiting. is transforming into extreme, overwhelming boredom. 

I am beginning to regret taking a gap year after graduating. I thought it would give me more time/focus on applications, and eliminate the burnt out feeling, (it did and it has), but now I'm going crazy with academic disuse. I work as a tutor and in retail, and I'm still feeling time crawl, empty and endless. Ugh. Any of y'all feeling this? 

I can't wait until I get one positive response, so that I can start obsessing over something productive. 

mad-about-being-bored_o_2969287.jpg    bored-dog.jpg

Edited by ChloeCriss

16 minutes ago, ChloeCriss said:

I can't seem to stop complaining about how bored I am and I feel like everyone is getting annoyed with me. 

But, it's like all of my anxiety about Grad School combined with going from having 1,000 things to do for applications to just. waiting. is transforming into extreme, overwhelming boredom. 

I am beginning to regret taking a gap year after graduating. I thought it would give me more time/focus on applications, and eliminate the burnt out feeling, (it did and it has), but now I'm going crazy with academic disuse. I work as a tutor and in retail, and I'm still feeling time crawl, empty and endless. Ugh. Any of y'all feeling this? 

I can't wait until I get one positive response, so that I can start obsessing over something productive. 

I'm right there with you. I have soooo much work right now, but all I do is comb this stupid forum searching for like-minded souls who also haven't heard from a single school yet. I'm hoping it's a good thing; like, they looked at my application and are at least hesitating before throwing it out. I also hope it's not at a bottom of a pile somewhere, more or less forgotten about. 

Tell_me_loki.gif

46 minutes ago, ChloeCriss said:

yes. yes. yes.

i just finished my MA in december, so going from the frenzy of my final semester and getting applications together to just.... nothing. waiting. i work as a library staff supervisor so my job is pretty low-key/boring and i haven't heard anything from anywhere yet. it's such a huge deal to get in somewhere, with so much to plan for and there is just NOTHING i can do about it but wait. it is figuratively killing me.