Rejection Thread

hector549

14 minutes ago, 753982 said:

With respect, you shouldn't have emailed them. I read someone post a year ago who I believe was pretty successful as an applicant that emailing before March 15th is a bad, bad idea. You want to give schools plenty of time before you solicit an update on your status. Apparently this person made someone angry by contacting them relatively early in the app season. I'd also recommend against getting attached to any particular school. 

Not getting attached is so much easier said than done. I have been in touch with the aforementioned faculty member for much longer and she has expressed her wish to stay in touch. I had solid reasons to believe that had a good chance for getting in and since I knew that they had made their choice, I wrote her to find out more. In this particular case, it wasn't at all harmful and has rather helped me to let go of my hope. 

31 minutes ago, Eshtah said:

In response to a personal e-mail to a faculty member, I just received the news that Columbia rejected me. This sucks so so much. Can't believe how much it hurts.

Is this for the philosophy phd or a rel studies program? And condolences. 

17 hours ago, 753982 said:

With respect, you shouldn't have emailed them. I read someone post a year ago who I believe was pretty successful as an applicant that emailing before March 15th is a bad, bad idea. You want to give schools plenty of time before you solicit an update on your status. Apparently this person made someone angry by contacting them relatively early in the app season. I'd also recommend against getting attached to any particular school. 

I've never emailed, but for an administrator to get upset by a student requesting an update would be childish. Acting on the assumption that other people behave according to 5th grade logic would be absurd. 

On 2/21/2017 at 9:42 AM, Eshtah said:

In response to a personal e-mail to a faculty member, I just received the news that Columbia rejected me. This sucks so so much. Can't believe how much it hurts.

Sorry to hear - don't suppose they'd have told you when they intend on releasing their offers?

37 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Sorry to hear - don't suppose they'd have told you when they intend on releasing their offers?

Yeah, sorry. I got lost and ended up here. Big Arians is right, that post was for religious studies.

7 hours ago, I_am_the_last_Thylacine said:

I had a problem with submitting my rejection from CU Boulder, but it ended up being because Google Chrome blocked the anti-robot text box. 

Firefox actually did this to me when I went to submit my Harvard rejection last week as well!