NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

26 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

If U of T doesn't say anything about 2 year admissions today, then next week has to be the week it starts.... right? :P The week we're currently in was the week admissions started for the past couple of application seasons. What do you guys think?

I think we're safe to say today we won't hear anything, and we'll be lucky to hear something next week! But fingers crossed.

I'm getting very anxious but I'm thankful i'm not in school right now. Last year this time, It was incredibly hard to study and get work done. To all of you still in school, you are TROOPERS! 

39 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

I think we're safe to say today we won't hear anything, and we'll be lucky to hear something next week! But fingers crossed.

I'm getting very anxious but I'm thankful i'm not in school right now. Last year this time, It was incredibly hard to study and get work done. To all of you still in school, you are TROOPERS! 

I second that!! I'm currently in school, and this week has been very tough. I have a tedious assignment due at midnight tonight, and it's so hard to keep my focus and not check my email/this forum every ten minutes!

28 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I second that!! I'm currently in school, and this week has been very tough. I have a tedious assignment due at midnight tonight, and it's so hard to keep my focus and not check my email/this forum every ten minutes!

Agreed. I am also in school and had three assignments due this week all while constantly worrying about grad school lol. I can't wait for it all to be over. 

12 minutes ago, lindsayds said:

Agreed. I am also in school and had three assignments due this week all while constantly worrying about grad school lol. I can't wait for it all to be over. 

I just remember finishing up data analysis for my thesis while refreshing ROSI every 10 minutes. It was near impossible to focus on anything. But this will be over soon and we'll all have a much better idea of where we will be in the fall. The number one trigger of anxiety is uncertainty, so if any of you are really struggling in the meantime, I suggest lots of fresh air, exercise, and mindfulness meditation :)

2 hours ago, kb161616 said:

I called Angela (at U of T) a few days ago to ask about the status of the 2-year applications, and she said that it would still be a while longer. Specifically, she said that people will know by the end of April (unsure whether she meant that is when all waves will be finished, or just starting)....

Regardless, not sure if we should get our hopes up too high for next week

End of April ... ugh!!

2 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

I just remember finishing up data analysis for my thesis while refreshing ROSI every 10 minutes. It was near impossible to focus on anything. But this will be over soon and we'll all have a much better idea of where we will be in the fall. The number one trigger of anxiety is uncertainty, so if any of you are really struggling in the meantime, I suggest lots of fresh air, exercise, and mindfulness meditation :)

Yup! Feeling super anxious today while I try to finish this assignment, but luckily the Red Hot Chili Peppers are there to blast through my speakers and get me singing :P Does dancing in my chair count as exercise?

17 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Yup! Feeling super anxious today while I try to finish this assignment, but luckily the Red Hot Chili Peppers are there to blast through my speakers and get me singing :P Does dancing in my chair count as exercise?

Oh boy if you knew the amount of times I blasted music and just danced for a good 5-10 minutes at a time while studying in my last year. hahaha. it totally counts

So this isn't in regard to an MSW but it is in regard to a MA in Child and Youth Care at Ryerson. I just received this e-mail and I am just wondering if anyone has received anything similar to Ryerson in the past. It isn't very clear but looks promising?

We are pleased to inform you that the Dean of the Yeates School of Graduate Studies, on the recommendation of the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Graduate Studies Child and Youth program has reached a final decision regarding your application to the Full Time Master of Arts - Child and Youth Care program.

To access this document, please login to your Student Centre in RAMSS (my.ryerson.ca) and look under the "Communications" section, located on the bottom right corner.

Note that communications may take up to 24 hours to appear in your Student Centre.

Thank you for your prompt attention and we look forward to your positive response, within the deadline date noted in the communication.

1 hour ago, lindsayds said:

So this isn't in regard to an MSW but it is in regard to a MA in Child and Youth Care at Ryerson. I just received this e-mail and I am just wondering if anyone has received anything similar to Ryerson in the past. It isn't very clear but looks promising?

We are pleased to inform you that the Dean of the Yeates School of Graduate Studies, on the recommendation of the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Graduate Studies Child and Youth program has reached a final decision regarding your application to the Full Time Master of Arts - Child and Youth Care program.

To access this document, please login to your Student Centre in RAMSS (my.ryerson.ca) and look under the "Communications" section, located on the bottom right corner.

Note that communications may take up to 24 hours to appear in your Student Centre.

Thank you for your prompt attention and we look forward to your positive response, within the deadline date noted in the communication.

yes, it was for my bsw. There should be a letter in your RAMSS under communication.

1 hour ago, vanessamarie said:

Anyone hear from Laurier yet??

Not yet :( I was reading the 2016 thread and it looks like the first round of acceptances for Laurier went out on March 31st last year.

Did anyone apply to the part-time program at Laurier?  I'm curious if the part-time is as competitive as (or more competitive than) the full-time 2-year program.

Edited by hornets14

1 hour ago, hornets14 said:

Not yet :( I was reading the 2016 thread and it looks like the first round of acceptances for Laurier went out on March 31st last year.

Did anyone apply to the part-time program at Laurier?  I'm curious if the part-time is as competitive as (or more competitive than) the full-time 2-year program.

They only do part-time every other year so there isn't a part-time option available this round

4 minutes ago, tdamaren said:

They only do part-time every other year so there isn't a part-time option available this round

That's what I thought initially too, but there was an open application this round and it's displayed on my LORIS

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 8.56.56 PM.png

9 hours ago, hornets14 said:

I've heard that lots of part time students at Laurier are part time because they are working in the field full time and don't want to give up their jobs. Most are in their 30s and 40s with children and families of their own and they go back to school to open up their career options so they can move into management positions, get pay raises, increase their employment options, or open up a private practice/get counselling training. 

Most 2 year full time students are younger, so they probably have less work experience. Many are between their mid twenties to early thirties and have paid or volunteer experience in related fields. They are in the program because they want to work in the field and cannot get in without a social work degree, or can only get low paid work such as shelter jobs, or they want to get into counselling/have a private practice one day so they need an MSW.

After receiving one rejection, I have found myself more anxious about hearing back from other schools. How do you guys deal with the stress of waiting? I thought sharing ideas might be more productive than sitting here and scrolling through past MSW threads for the 10th time :P

For me, a phone call with a good friend or a walk around my neighbourhood seems to be a decent cure. I also find that making plans to see friends/my partner helps because I can look forward to little things like that, rather than anxiously awaiting something that might not happen for weeks. And of course, the good old call to mom always helps me too!

1 hour ago, nicoleMSW said:

After receiving one rejection, I have found myself more anxious about hearing back from other schools. How do you guys deal with the stress of waiting? I thought sharing ideas might be more productive than sitting here and scrolling through past MSW threads for the 10th time :P

For me, a phone call with a good friend or a walk around my neighbourhood seems to be a decent cure. I also find that making plans to see friends/my partner helps because I can look forward to little things like that, rather than anxiously awaiting something that might not happen for weeks. And of course, the good old call to mom always helps me too!

I'm also extremely tense with stress! I don't even want to work on my current courses because all I want to do is sit here and hit refresh over and over until something happens haha. 

3 hours ago, Shelby0314 said:

Is anyone else on Windsor's waiting list? The program starts in May so I hope to hear back soon!

I applied to windsor's two year and haven't heard back. How did you receive the decision? 

1 hour ago, Keep calm said:

I applied to windsor's two year and haven't heard back. How did you receive the decision? 

I've applied to the advanced standing program and I was notified over email and my Windsor SIS was updated.