NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

To everyone on here who had graduated from the York MSW program, do you remember how long after your acceptance that you received your official letter / funding package in the mail? Thanks! 

4 hours ago, SW_Student said:

To everyone on here who had graduated from the York MSW program, do you remember how long after your acceptance that you received your official letter / funding package in the mail? Thanks! 

Normally takes about a week, but you can actually pick the package  up from Ross South 8th floor ( the admin office) if you don't want wait for the snail mail

12 hours ago, dnswsa said:

Thats really interesting! I have never really seen myself as a "clinical" person so it helps to hear your experiences. What was the practicum process like and what kind of opportunities or agencies have students had?

You can find your own placement as long as your supervisor has a MSW or an equivalent degree  ( unlike u of t where the school matches you with an agency and your supervisor could be someone with only a BSW degree, I was actually matched to a crisis "call center" and then I just dropped out .lol  ) , but to be honest, the placement office is not the greatest and it doesn't really advocate for its students. If you are looking for a placement in hospitals then you may want to utilize your professional connection and network. 

15 minutes ago, MSW2MD said:

You can find your own placement as long as your supervisor has a MSW or an equivalent degree  ( unlike u of t where the school matches you with an agency and your supervisor could be someone with only a BSW degree, I was actually matched to a crisis "call center" and then I just dropped out .lol  ) , but to be honest, the placement office is not the greatest and it doesn't really advocate for its students. If you are looking for a placement in hospitals then you may want to utilize your professional connection and network. 

Eep. Thats kind of incredibly discouraging. I'm from Calgary so I would have no place to start or have any real networks established in Toronto. I guess that's what I was hoping for is to have the school help me navigate that process.

10 minutes ago, dnswsa said:

Eep. Thats kind of incredibly discouraging. I'm from Calgary so I would have no place to start or have any real networks established in Toronto. I guess that's what I was hoping for is to have the school help me navigate that process.

Donot get discouraged, York is an excellent school! I have friends did their placement in hospitals and government agencies without using any personal connections. Who knows...

16 hours ago, Lauren_ said:

I have been accepted to Western's 2 year MSW program... I guess acceptances have started! :)

Hey what kind of experience profile do you have? What was your gpa for the last year and how many hours of experience do you have? I'm so nervous. My GPA was kind of low to be competitive but I have a ton of experience!

Lindsay

40 minutes ago, Lindsay22156 said:

Hey what kind of experience profile do you have? What was your gpa for the last year and how many hours of experience do you have? I'm so nervous. My GPA was kind of low to be competitive but I have a ton of experience!

Lindsay

Yup I'm in the same as boat as you. Did you also apply to 2 year MSW at western? My GPA was 77% (B+) for the last 2 years and iv had around 2000-2500 hours of experience working as a mental health guard and as a social support worker 

39 minutes ago, soapaddict said:

for UofT Masters of education psychotherapy, does anyone know if this program is full 2 years? sept 2017-april 2019 ? 

it its a 2 year full time program yes. I have applied for it as well :) still waiting! 

34 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Does anyone know of anyone else who has been accepted to Western's 2 year MSW yet? Or if anyone has been rejected? My profile still only says "applied" and I'm getting antsy!!

Some people on this forum said they have heard back! So it should be anytime!

43 minutes ago, ONE step CLOSER said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know U of Waterloo (advanced standing) has started releasing decisions via quest. I have been admitted! Good Luck and Congratulations to all!

Congrats!!

Thanks for the update!

1 hour ago, nicoleMSW said:

Does anyone know of anyone else who has been accepted to Western's 2 year MSW yet? Or if anyone has been rejected? My profile still only says "applied" and I'm getting antsy!!

Mine still says "applied" too.

4 hours ago, Lindsay22156 said:

Lindsay

I'm also really curious.  My average over the final two years was about 82% and I have 3700 hours of direct experience in the field, and another 2200 in not directly related but still fairly applicable positions that I'm hoping they consider as well.  The anticipation is killing me!

Congratulations to everybody who's gotten accepted!!

This is my first year applying, and I applied to the two-year program at York, Windsor, Western and UofT. I am currently completing my undergrad at western and am so anxious about not hearing anything back.

I have a mid 80's average but only a little over 1000 hours of experience, as i'm not legally allowed to take any jobs in Canada, and could only take on summer internships in my home country and some volunteer work during the school year. 

York declined my application one week after it's submitted and said they don't accept any international students, and I'm a little concerned that my foreign identity will be a problem to other schools as well. Does anyone know any international students who were accepted in the past? 

I know that schools are beginning to send out their decisions regarding the two-year track programs, and I sincerely wish everybody the best of luck! 

2 hours ago, ONE step CLOSER said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know U of Waterloo (advanced standing) has started releasing decisions via quest. I have been admitted! Good Luck and Congratulations to all!

Congrats! Mine still says no decision made. 

Anyone else hear see a change in their status? This never gets less frustrating ?

3 minutes ago, jaylynn said:

Congrats! Mine still says no decision made. 

Anyone else hear see a change in their status? This never gets less frustrating ?

My friend just got accepted to Waterloo today too! She said her online status was updated

7 hours ago, Lindsay22156 said:

Lindsay

Hey Lindsay, my GPA was a 91 and I have 1000+ hours as I had previous practicums at CAS and currently work within the field.  I don't have years of experience within the social work field but I think that my experiences were relevant as I did a lot of volunteering throughout University. 

I am sure that you have are a great candidate and to be honest I still have no idea what aspect of my application got me in. lol 

Goodluck!

2 hours ago, hornets14 said:

Mine still says "applied" too.

I'm also really curious.  My average over the final two years was about 82% and I have 3700 hours of direct experience in the field, and another 2200 in not directly related but still fairly applicable positions that I'm hoping they consider as well.  The anticipation is killing me!

I have been accepted to Western but I feel like it is pretty early. Western isn't my first choice so I am also hoping that other schools release admissions soon. 

1 hour ago, Hopeful18 said:

YEWANG, out of curiosity and no disrespect intended, how come you changed your name to MSW&MD and have now created another profile (whilst still using your original one) named MSW2MD?

why are you bringing attention to this? it's a new board. straying away from the topic by bringing this up again isn't necessary. 

7 hours ago, gradschool2017 said:

why are you bringing attention to this? it's a new board. straying away from the topic by bringing this up again isn't necessary. 

I agree. It might be best to sent the person a PM if you wish to have the answer to this question so that the thread doesn't go off topic.