NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

3 hours ago, Ed07ti said:

Hey, 

Glad to hear York U is sending out the acceptances already. I was waitlisted last year at U of T. I applied to both York and U of T this year hoping one of them would pull through but it seems super competitive. Initially i thought getting admitted would be much easier but its proven not to be. I have two undergrad honours one from western in poli sci and one from york in psyc. I had a 3.94 average GPA from York U, I have over 5000 working hours in the field. I am a program coordinator for a women's shelter that houses over 50 individual who are homeless and I work part-time as a housing manager with youth at another organization. I'm tired of working 60 hours a week and am hoping one of the schools will pull through for me, or I'm back to the drawing board. 

Having work experience can definitely help especially you are already at the management level.  I think u of t is more open to those working professionals than other universities, but again your GPA should get you into any MSW program in Ontario. Good luck 

On 3/15/2017 at 11:02 PM, thelionking said:

I like the idea of LTC work. Do you know of any places that hire social workers? Most places I've come across only hire SSW's - unless I'm not looking at the right places!

I'm not sure what a supportive housing supervisor does... is it more like an administrative position or a like a developmental services worker job that requires you to give assistance to people when they need it (make sure they bathe, eat, wear clean clothes, leave on time for their appointments, etc..)? 

Look at rehabilitation hospitals , most of them have long-term care facility and Adult Day program.... West Park, Providence, St.John, Baycrest, Runnymede, just to name few

Support housing supervisors usually responsible for scheduling PSWs, monitoring safety of  clients, communicating with CCAC and hospitals, some case management and crisis intervention works when needed. Pays usually go from 25 - 32 dollar a hour depending where you work at .

23 minutes ago, MSW2MD said:

Having work experience can definitely help especially you are already at the management level.  I think u of t is more open to those working professionals than other universities, but again your GPA should get you into any MSW program in Ontario. Good luck 

3 hours ago, Ed07ti said:

Hey, 

Glad to hear York U is sending out the acceptances already. I was waitlisted last year at U of T. I applied to both York and U of T this year hoping one of them would pull through but it seems super competitive. Initially i thought getting admitted would be much easier but its proven not to be. I have two undergrad honours one from western in poli sci and one from york in psyc. I had a 3.94 average GPA from York U, I have over 5000 working hours in the field. I am a program coordinator for a women's shelter that houses over 50 individual who are homeless and I work part-time as a housing manager with youth at another organization. I'm tired of working 60 hours a week and am hoping one of the schools will pull through for me, or I'm back to the drawing board. 

Hey, just a friendly disagreement here! My GPA is 4.0 and I've received 1 rejection and a very likely rejection from York so far (I haven't heard anything and I know they sent out acceptances/waitlists), so it's not very true that a high GPA will get you into any school. I have experience as well (I'm not a working professional though), but I think research experience is where I am lacking most. So just don't get let down if you don't hear anything, sometimes it's factors out of our control! A high GPA won't necessarily guarantee an acceptance, just a heads up :) 

5 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Hey, just a friendly disagreement here! My GPA is 4.0 and I've received 1 rejection and a very likely rejection from York so far (I haven't heard anything and I know they sent out acceptances/waitlists), so it's not very true that a high GPA will get you into any school. I have experience as well (I'm not a working professional though), but I think research experience is where I am lacking most. So just don't get let down if you don't hear anything, sometimes it's factors out of our control! A high GPA won't necessarily guarantee an acceptance, just a heads up :) 

research experience was my downfall last year! had a 3.9 and a ton of volunteer/work experience. 

and as its not almost 5, its safe to say we wont hear anything back today so, enjoy your weekends everyone. 

Does anyone know the amount of students U of T accepts for their advanced standing MSW program for both the full-time and part-time stream. I can recall hearing that they accepted 9 people for their part-time advanced standing program last year.

Thanks

1 hour ago, nicoleMSW said:

Keep your hope up too though even if you havn't heard anything (although my application is stronger with experience rather than GPA)!  I just emailed York because I still havn't heard anything and I applied for part-time advanced, said my file is already with the graduate department and under consideration.  So it sounds like they still keep a list after confirmed acceptances/rejections and waitlist notifications go out and maybe still roll them out as others have mentioned.  For myself I just would like to know either way :)   

Edited by 2017hoping

20 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

I agree with you, GPA is not the only thing that guarantees MSW admission. Your personal statement, CV and reference are all counting towards the admission decision. One of my relatives was in the admission panel last year and she said GPA only weighs about 30 percent in students'  application. 

Edited by MSW&MD

19 minutes ago, MSW&MD said:

I agree with you, GPA is not the only thing that guarantees MSW admission. Your personal statement, CV and reference are all counting towards the admission decision. One of my relatives was in the admission panel last year and she said GPA only weighs about 30 percent in students'  application. 

On 3/15/2017 at 3:29 PM, moh230 said:

Nope, just checked mine and it still says application in process and no e-mails or anything. hopefully something by the end of this week!

On 3/16/2017 at 11:03 PM, Newfor2017 said:

Hey Andy-my friend and I were accepted into Windsors advanced standing program February 13th-wasn't sure if you were just referring to the 2 year program though. I have definitively accepted their offer (due to location it's the only program I applied to) but my friends' ability to attend is still up in the air ☹️

Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much to you both for your reply and congrats on the acceptance to the advanced standing! Hopefully we will hear 2 year decisions in the next couple of weeks :) 

On 3/17/2017 at 5:06 PM, Inspired2017 said:

Does anyone know the amount of students U of T accepts for their advanced standing MSW program for both the full-time and part-time stream. I can recall hearing that they accepted 9 people for their part-time advanced standing program last year.

Thanks

I'm going in to the full time advanced standing and was wondering the same thing.  You are right about the part time program.  I was at the information session and they said 9 part time students were accepted last year, and they thought the number might be lower this year.

45 minutes ago, gradschool2017 said:

Were two year uoft  applicants supposed to pick a stream? I didn't think we had to but just wanted to double check 

im waiting for the 2 year msw at uoft also - its the only school i applied to. i did make my application focused on gerontology cause its the stream i eventually want to get into. but no, we dont have to choose the stream

Edited by c.dizzle

45 minutes ago, gradschool2017 said:

Were two year uoft  applicants supposed to pick a stream? I didn't think we had to but just wanted to double check 

In the information sessions they told us that we don't pick one until second year of the program, so you don't have to include it on your application.

25 minutes ago, Keep calm said:

Yeah, two-year waiting for UofT and Windsor here. Does anybody know when we should be hearing back from these schools? 

Not sure about Windsor but I think for UofT, they said decisions will be made from late march to mid-April. 

14 minutes ago, GeminiCore said:

Does anyone know people who has gotten accepted to some programs even with a low GPA? I need some hope... :S

My GPA is not that high at all, like 3.3 maybe,  but I have a lot of work and volunteer experience and I was a research assistant in my third year. But I came straight to university after college, completed 5 years of university (BSW and crim degree) and got accepted to Western's advanced standing MSW program! It depends what the school is looking for, it's definitely not all based on GPA!

Good luck to you! Where have you applied?

2 hours ago, Keep calm said:

Yeah, two-year waiting for UofT and Windsor here. Does anybody know when we should be hearing back from these schools? 

I checked the dates of when individuals heard back from U OF T last year. People started getting acceptances/declined literally this week of march from the 20th till the 25th. So maybe expect your rosi to change this week hopefully?