NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

32 minutes ago, daniellekl said:

Also, just so you all know, I got my mail today and my ACORN doesn't say "invited". So, don't use ACORN as a tool to check whether you were accepted. Just wait for the snail mail :) 

Your acorn said nothing and you got a package??

34 minutes ago, daniellekl said:

Also, just so you all know, I got my mail today and my ACORN doesn't say "invited". So, don't use ACORN as a tool to check whether you were accepted. Just wait for the snail mail :) 

Whaaaaat does that mean there's the possibility of an "invited" status that doesn't mean acceptance? :s 

7 minutes ago, fylucn55 said:

Whaaaaat does that mean there's the possibility of an "invited" status that doesn't mean acceptance? :s 

omg please say this is true! Over the weekend I accepted the fact I probably wasn't getting in this round...

I'll keep you guys posted on the mail tomorrow. You guys are probably right, I didn't realize that it might take two business days here in Toronto instead of one. So tomorrow I should have an answer!

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, MSW2MD said:

You can find your own placement as long as your supervisor has a MSW or an equivalent degree  ( unlike u of t where the school matches you with an agency and your supervisor could be someone with only a BSW degree, I was actually matched to a crisis "call center" and then I just dropped out .lol  ) , but to be honest, the placement office is not the greatest and it doesn't really advocate for its students. If you are looking for a placement in hospitals then you may want to utilize your professional connection and network. 

Just curious, did anyone who actually attend U of T had a placement supervisor without MSW degree ( especially those of you who did placement in community centers)? Thanks

57 minutes ago, daniellekl said:

Woah this just gave me LIFE! Thank you for the update! 

1 hour ago, fylucn55 said:

oh GOD i hope not, because I have yet to receive a letter. Has anyone who's been invited gotten a letter yet (besides the person who's already said they've gotten one). 

On March 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM, canadianmsw329 said:

Hi all! Congrats to those who got in!

I was wondering if anyone had some insight on the Combined JD/MSW program at UofT. From my initial impression, the application process for each were completely independent from each other. I recently received a rejection from UofT Law and have not seen any updates on ACORN for the MSW. Does anyone know if the Law rejection will negatively affect my MSW? Becoming a social worker is definitely my passion (I did the combined program because I thought it would be useful for working in policy later) and I almost want to email someone to reiterate my interest in the MSW on its own.

Also, I read somewhere the order is rejections then admissions - so is it true no news is good news?

Thanks for any help!

Hi @canadianmsw329 I asked that question at the information session I went to last August and I was advised that even if you don't get into the the JD program you can get into the MSW. Angela also advised me that if I were to get into the 2 year MSW this year and got into JD the following year, you can still do the combined program. I confirmed the information with the faculty of law.

I will be applying to U of T's MSW next year, I wish I didn't miss the deadline. I applied to york and didn't get in and still waiting for Laurier but I'm assuming if I didn't get into York, I probably won't get into Laurier. I thought I had a great application interms of grades and references but truth be told I lacked in experience. All I had was a few hours volunteering at Catholic Children's Aid. 

Edited by Amira86

9 minutes ago, Amira86 said:

Hi @canadianmsw329 I asked that question at the information session I went to last August and I was advised that even if you don't get into the the JD program you can get into the MSW. Angela also advised me that if I were to get into the 2 year MSW this year and got into JD the following year, you can still do the combined program. I confirmed the information with the faculty of law.

I will be applying to U of T's MSW next year, I wish I didn't miss the deadline. I applied to york and didn't get in and still waiting for Laurier but I'm assuming if I didn't get into York, I probably won't get into Laurier. I thought I had a great application interms of grades and references but truth be told I lacked in experience. All I had was a few hours volunteering at Catholic Children's Aid. 

I wouldn't assume that. York tends to be the most competitive cause the class size is so small and everyone gets generous funding.

17 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

oh GOD i hope not, because I have yet to receive a letter. Has anyone who's been invited gotten a letter yet (besides the person who's already said they've gotten one). 

I have! My status on Acorn says "invited" and I received the acceptance package in the mail today. Don't worry it's coming! ?

2 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

I got my letter today. I live in downtown Toronto.

How did you check your ACORN without being a former U of T student? I sent you a PM. 

1 hour ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

ROSI is going to be up and running at 8am tomorrow. Should solve some problems for those who can't log into ACORN. 

Do you think ROSI would show an acceptance even if ACORN doesn't?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted to U of T! My ACORN and ROSI also says invited to the 2 year program. I was wondering what the process is to actually register? I know we have to wait to get the snail mail, but I'm being impatient and am curious haha. The other program I applied to had the option to view everything online and accept the offer of admission online as well.

I'm away on vacation this week, so I'm having my friend check the mail everyday! But I was wondering if anyone had any info about this process.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

Do you think ROSI would show an acceptance even if ACORN doesn't?

That's what happpened with me - it's very weird. I received my acceptance package in the mail yesterday. My ACORN account still says nothing but my status shows "invited" on ROSI. 

30 minutes ago, dallas709 said:

Congrats to everyone who got accepted to U of T! My ACORN and ROSI also says invited to the 2 year program. I was wondering what the process is to actually register? I know we have to wait to get the snail mail, but I'm being impatient and am curious haha. The other program I applied to had the option to view everything online and accept the offer of admission online as well.

I'm away on vacation this week, so I'm having my friend check the mail everyday! But I was wondering if anyone had any info about this process.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat as you! I was told that we have four weeks to sign and accept the program, and then until June 1st to pay!