Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Hi, everyone! I just recently found this thread and am super excited to connect with you all while we scramble everything together in the madness of applications! 

I'm applying for Fall 2018 programs and have everything completed with the exception of my personal statements. I was wondering if anyone who has already written theirs, has any examples they found online that they found particularly helpful? Of course, everyone's is different per varying experiences, etc. but I'm hoping to get a good feel of how to organize it. 

Good luck to everyone!

14 hours ago, Rosie414 said:

That's so awesome! Did you choose to do the video essay for your application to Cincinnati? If so, how was it? I'm so nervous to do it! 

Yeah it was tough, not actually doing it but just getting up the nerve to record was hard! I just focused on taking my time and not trying to cram everything I wanted to say into 60 seconds. Coming across as calm was more important than bombarding them with information for me! 

@trp111 @GeneDawg this is the reply I received regarding Stanford's personal statement limit change! 

Please don’t worry about editing your personal statement down to 2 pages – the review committee will evaluate all personal statements that are 500-750 words. I updated our limit to 2 pages to match the University’s language.

3 hours ago, GC12018 said:

@trp111 @GeneDawg this is the reply I received regarding Stanford's personal statement limit change! 

Please don’t worry about editing your personal statement down to 2 pages – the review committee will evaluate all personal statements that are 500-750 words. I updated our limit to 2 pages to match the University’s language.

That's a relief. Thanks so much for checking :)

4 hours ago, GC12018 said:

Does anyone have a contact email or number for the Boston program? Each time I send an email to their general program one it is bounced back to me unable to send :/ 

Hi! I received have been corresponding with the director, Kathleen. I'll PM you her email! She's pretty responsive :)

16 hours ago, Rosie414 said:

Oh gosh...was there a prompt or anything? What were you supposed to talk about?

Yeah there was a prompt, you have 90 seconds to think about what you're going to say then 60 seconds of the video. I'm assuming they have multiple prompts, mine wasn't so bad. Just get it over with, I'm sure you will do great!

16 minutes ago, lchurchi said:

Hey lilmaz, just letting you know it is Indiana University not the University of Indiana...I go to IU and I just don't want you to make the mistake of saying the University of Indiana in your app/interviews. Happy applying!!

Haha it's simply a signature mistake, I deleted another school and was editing from the middle. Thanks for the concern though!

2 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Looks like a great program! But I went through the FAQs and it looks like they don't offer scholarships, clinicals are offsite, and the personal statement can be max 500 words which doesn't even seem possible for me at this point so I'm going to pass on applying there which means you have 1 less competitor lol. Although it doesn't look like we're applying to any of the same schools anyways, but i was interested in Arizona. Thanks for putting the website here!

3 hours ago, trp111 said:

Was anyone able to find on Baylor's website where we send official transcripts and whether we need to send official GRE scores?

If you're actually in the application is states this for the GRE "

Arrange to have official notifications of your scores sent to:
Genetic Counseling Program 
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, Mail Stop BCM115
DeBakey Bldg., Suite M108
Houston, TX 77030

(Institution code: 6052)"

and this for transcripts

"Provide a transcript for each degree.
Official transcripts are required and may be sent electronically to 
GCProgramAdmissions@bcm.edu or mailed to:
SAME ADDRESS AS ABOVE. Unofficial transcripts do not replace official transcripts but must be uploaded for initial screening of the application."

I would note that I sent one of my transcripts via the email route and I had a notice that it still hasn't been retrieved, which I am about to follow up on. So just be wary or super on top of it if going that route. 

I'm working my match registration stuff right now, and I have questions! Under participating programs: https://natmatch.com/gcadmissions/directory/participating-programs.html, it lists different tracks, and it's got places that look like they're not even in the same geographic area as the school offering the track (ie--UAMS has a track that says "Louisville, KY"). What does that mean?!!?! 

3 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I'm working my match registration stuff right now, and I have questions! Under participating programs: https://natmatch.com/gcadmissions/directory/participating-programs.html, it lists different tracks, and it's got places that look like they're not even in the same geographic area as the school offering the track (ie--UAMS has a track that says "Louisville, KY"). What does that mean?!!?! 

It means they are a program that has satellite sites for the second year. Just like how Augustana you can do the second year in San Diego or still in Sioux Falls. 

When it comes to matching, that means that maybe Augustana - San Diego is my first choice, but Augustana, Sioux Falls the 2nd year is my last. It gives me the flexibility to match it that way. 

3 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

It means they are a program that has satellite sites for the second year. Just like how Augustana you can do the second year in San Diego or still in Sioux Falls. 

When it comes to matching, that means that maybe Augustana - San Diego is my first choice, but Augustana, Sioux Falls the 2nd year is my last. It gives me the flexibility to match it that way. 

I hoped that's what it meant! Honestly, that makes me want to cast an even broader net. I might not seriously have considered alabama before, but if I rank just their vanderbilt track--yes, I would live happily in the south for a year to spend a year in Nashville. 

10 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I hoped that's what it meant! Honestly, that makes me want to cast an even broader net. I might not seriously have considered alabama before, but if I rank just their vanderbilt track--yes, I would live happily in the south for a year to spend a year in Nashville. 

Definitely! That's why I'm applying to UAMS. I'm not super gung-ho on living in the close. However, my dad lives in Cincinnati, so spending the second year in Louisville wouldn't be soo bad as I'd have family close. 

16 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

If you're actually in the application is states this for the GRE "

Arrange to have official notifications of your scores sent to:
Genetic Counseling Program 
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, Mail Stop BCM115
DeBakey Bldg., Suite M108
Houston, TX 77030

(Institution code: 6052)"

and this for transcripts

"Provide a transcript for each degree.
Official transcripts are required and may be sent electronically to 
GCProgramAdmissions@bcm.edu or mailed to:
SAME ADDRESS AS ABOVE. Unofficial transcripts do not replace official transcripts but must be uploaded for initial screening of the application."

I would note that I sent one of my transcripts via the email route and I had a notice that it still hasn't been retrieved, which I am about to follow up on. So just be wary or super on top of it if going that route. 

Thank you!!!!!!

2 hours ago, CdnGC123 said:

Does anyone know if you have to submit official GRE scores from ETS to Sarah Lawrence? I self-reported mine on my app, but I couldn't seem to find anything that says I have to pay to have them sent..?

Thanks!

Yes, I believe you do! On their FAQ page there's a specific code they want them sent to, so I am assuming they need the official score report from ETS

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

People who are applying a second time: are you mentioning it in your personal statement? I'm torn. The hardest part of this is going to be the personal statement.

I'm including it. It's right in my intro for my personal statement. Especially since I'm applying to 5 of the same programs they would know, so there is no point to hide or gloss over it. 

3 hours ago, Blizzard said:

People who are applying a second time: are you mentioning it in your personal statement? I'm torn. The hardest part of this is going to be the personal statement.

I'm on the admissions committee for a graduate program at my current job. In my experience, addressing that you are a second time applicant and what you have done in the previous year can add a lot of value to a personal statement. Especially if you can tailor it to specific schools. Like "my interviewer [insert name] suggested blah blah might be of interest to me. I took that to heart and spent the past year doing XYZ to get experience in that area". I think a lot of GCs have to apply twice so it's especially relatable to those people and it might make you more memorable. My job has nothing to do with GC and I'm a first time applicant, so take that for what it worth, but I think it can definitely be helpful if well done. 

I'm really glad I found this forum, it's been super helpful to read through everyone's experiences. Are there any current students who are still stalking this forum? It would be cool to hear some feedback about the schools you ended up at.

My top schools are USF and Emory. I'd love to hear any feedback anyone might have from interviews or attending. 

25 minutes ago, LacyGC said:

Are there any current students who are still stalking this forum? It would be cool to hear some feedback about the schools you ended up at.

Yeah I am totally still here because, I don't know exactly, this process is still really vivid in my mind and it's interesting to watch without the anxiety of actually going through it myself. And maybe I'll see some of you interviewing at UCI in the spring! I'm already looking forward to interviews and the bounty of free sandwiches they promise.

Anyway, I have things I like about UCI but without having attended another school, I don't know what is note worthy. I am 6 weeks or so into the first quarter and I feel like clinical work is already a major component of what I do; my classmates and I are already taking patient histories and pedigrees in clinic, and we're already presenting some of our cases along side faculty in weekly clinical case conferences. I love our program director. Our schedule is busy but flexible. I'm definitely here to answer any questions about UCI!