Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

1 hour ago, skburz said:

Definitely a hard question to answer as there are tons of variables in play, but does anyone have an idea of what percentage of all unique applicants get accepted into a program?

At the last two open houses/program informational meetings I was at I think I heard it's usually around 35% acceptance. But I don't know if that is for unique applicants or for all applications submitted. 

3 hours ago, skburz said:

Definitely a hard question to answer as there are tons of variables in play, but does anyone have an idea of what percentage of all unique applicants get accepted into a program?

2 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

At the last two open houses/program informational meetings I was at I think I heard it's usually around 35% acceptance. But I don't know if that is for unique applicants or for all applications submitted. 

According to data from 2010, 31.5% were accepted (230/731 unique applicants). But I feel like it's probably more competitive now, because more people are aware of the field. I remember at Wayne state's open house the director was saying we were the biggest group they'd ever had! There have been a couple more programs added though so maybe it's been balanced out

3 hours ago, skburz said:

This is from the AGCPD site on link: https://agcpd.org/Documents/Genetic Counselors v3.pdf

"Who gets accepted to genetic counseling programs?
The table below describes the average (mean) attributes of those who applied and those who were admitted to genetic counseling programs in 2010 (provided by the Association of Genetic Counseling Program Directors). Keep in mind that these are averages. Some successful applicants have higher and some have lower GPA’s and scores than those listed below.
The most common undergraduate majors among those admitted were biology, genetics and psychology. However, successful applicants come from a broad variety of majors and degrees. Diversity in educational background is welcomed by programs. In 2010, the 32 programs received 2712 applications representing 731 unique applicants. Two hundred and thirty applicants were accepted (31.5%).

All Applicants         Matriculants (Admitted)

GPA (Mean) :                          3.4                                3.5
GRE Verbal (Mean):              63%                              72%
GRE Quantitative (Mean):    61%                              65%
GRE Analytical (Mean):       51%                               60%

Obviously these stats are from 2010, so I'd say it might be more competitive now. These might be more optimistic, but at the same time there are also 10 more programs and probably no more than 1000 unique applicants. 

Edited by AspiringGC

I thought of a few other things to consider as well..

Last year in interviews and application feedback (and according to many school's FAQ sections) it sounded like almost all the schools received at least 100 applications, so if you take a minimum of 100 apps per school (41 schools this year), that's at least 4,100 applications. And I would consider that a conservative estimate, in reality I would believe it's higher. Obviously those aren't all unique applicants, but it's quite a jump from the 2,712 applications in 2010. I don't know what that would translate to in terms of unique applicants, but it gives a little perspective on how much interest in the career has jumped in the past 7 years. In 2010, students were applying to 4 schools on average. I can't say for sure, but I think that number is probably closer to 5 or 6 now, which could be a contributing factor to the increased number in applications overall.

If my numbers are correct based on each program's number of admitted students, there are ~366 slots for this cycle (assuming Baylor and Arizona will be certified in time). The increase in available slots along with the increase in interest and applications may work out to be a similar percentage of admitted students as there was in 2010 (if we estimate 1,000 unique applicants, it works out to be ~36% acceptance), but that's based off speculation and who really knows. 

On a more optimistic note, I have also heard programs say that they typically toss out anywhere from 10-15% of their applications right away. Some of reasons why they get tossed right away are that they have statements addressed to the wrong school, much too low of a GPA (like a 2.0), statements addressed to or written about medical schools, missing information or parts of the application, no genetic counseling and advocacy experience at all, or it's just obvious from the personal statement that the applicant doesn't know what genetic counseling is. 

Maybe in the next few years they will come out with some new data since the field and interest has been growing so much.

@GeneDawg Thanks for the update.  The director e-mailed me back as well.  What a relief.  I thought I was going to have to stay up all last night re-writing it.  I feel like I might have also answered the first question differently if I had the correct second question.  Because neither of the questions asked about advocacy and volunteer work, I kind of shoe-horned them in to my first essay where it didn't really make sense.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:53 PM, AspiringGC said:

I'm taking my biochem class at UCSD Extension. It's online and starts in January, ends in March. This is the best I could get because they cancelled the class I was planning to take that started in October and ended in December. 

You make me wonder if I should retake Biochem as well. I enjoyed the class, but I was a moron at the time so I got a C. 

4 hours ago, Blizzard said:

You make me wonder if I should retake Biochem as well. I enjoyed the class, but I was a moron at the time so I got a C. 

If you have solid grades in Ochem you should be fine. I got a C and D in ochem 1/2 (really not my cup of tea plus other extenuating circumstances), so my hope is that retaking biochem and getting an A (hopefully) will show that I can actually do the work as biochem typically bridges off of ochem concepts.  

In the application space that allows for any other additional information did anyone include explanations for why grades lowered during certain quarters? Did you explain the extenuating circumstances.  I only ask because I did but I wanted to know if that will look bad to an admissions committee.

17 hours ago, KG203040 said:

In the application space that allows for any other additional information did anyone include explanations for why grades lowered during certain quarters? Did you explain the extenuating circumstances.  I only ask because I did but I wanted to know if that will look bad to an admissions committee.

If I had space in my personal statement, I included this there. But, otherwise that's a great place for it. It's better to explain yourself then to not include it at all. 

Sorry if this question has already been asked, for people applying to Thomas Jefferson, when sending official transcripts it says to send them with "transcript matching form". Does anybody know where to find this?

Hi everyone! Just joining here! I can't believe the first round of due dates is already almost here! Since I missed the introducing ourselves part, I'll keep it short. I did my undergrad in genetics & psychology at UW-Madison (2.8 because Ochem, ya know) and I'm currently finishing up a graduate certificate in genomic advocacy (3.5). My advocacy experiences are: a crisis hotline, working with children on the Autism Spectrum, volunteering at the local children's hospital, and using dance/movement therapy to work with adults with different neuro/developmental disorders. I've taken the GRE a couple of times and have gotten my scores to not outstanding, but acceptable. Looking forward to collaborating with everyone! May the odds be ever in our favor.

Edited by raecamp

On 12/1/2017 at 5:08 PM, KG203040 said:

I have a few apps that give you a space for ~500 words to explain anything you want. I take that to explain what I can. I had a couple of particularly rough semesters for personal reasons and I tried to touch very briefly on that and turn that into a "what I learned from this" kind of story. :)

Hi, Rae (and all - I've been a lurker so far and have found this forum immensely informative and helpful; thank you!) - is the genomic advocacy program you're doing at Indiana State? I've considered applying to that myself, especially if I don't get in this round (probably won't, still working on finishing up prereqs etc.).

7 hours ago, katiespencer said:

Hey! Does anyone know what they are doing over the summer? I am worried since I won't know if I get into a program until April!

I am a second time applicant and I was worried about the same thing last year. As I was applying to programs I was also applying to jobs and internships. If the job or internship is related to genetic counseling they are pretty understanding if you are still waiting to hear back from schools. The job I am at now I interviewed for before knowing if I got into a program. It is a good idea to always prepare for backups!

12 hours ago, katiespencer said:

Hey! Does anyone know what they are doing over the summer? I am worried since I won't know if I get into a program until April!

I think the weakest part of my application is not having a lot of shadowing experience (only 3 days /:) so I'll probably work on that if I don't get in. Otherwise, both of the crisis line agencies I volunteer at are also shelters and are always hiring so I will probably try to get a job at one of those. I'll be graduating in April with a BS in Biology and the only type of job I can really get is doing research, which I already do and don't enjoy very much. Obviously, I'm really hoping to get in this time, which is why I'm applying to 10 schools! Hopefully I will at least get interviews, because I think feedback from those will help direct me on how to improve for next cycle. I really wish they would let us know earlier! It sucks bc I've already submitted my apps to the schools with earlier deadlines (like OSU, IU, CWRU) and won't even know about interviews till late january/early feb <_<

Edited by hfj23

2 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Is anyone having trouble with uploading files for UTHealth's application? I keep trying to upload my GRE Score report, but it always says "conversion failed". 

@AspiringGC I've had that issue too! It's the only document I haven't been able to upload and I kept getting the same error message as well. I was trying last week and thought maybe the application server was just having issues or something and haven't tried it again yet. But since you're having troubles too still, maybe it's something they don't know isn't working.

39 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

@AspiringGC I've had that issue too! It's the only document I haven't been able to upload and I kept getting the same error message as well. I was trying last week and thought maybe the application server was just having issues or something and haven't tried it again yet. But since you're having troubles too still, maybe it's something they don't know isn't working.

I'm not sure if it's because it's a PDF? My resume is a Word doc and I believe I tried to upload a PDF and had the same conversion issue. So, I'm not sure if that's the issue. I might send an email to the program shortly to see what the issue is. I do not remember this being a problem I had last year. 

22 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

I got mine figured out. My friend has access to the paid version of Adobe and converted my PDF to a Word Doc which I was able to upload successfully. So, I think it being a PDF is the issue..

21 hours ago, lchurchi said:

Curious to hear from second-year applicants...what do most people were for interviews. Is it a full suit? Or nice black pants/skirt and a nice shirt and jacket? I am wanting to start planning my outfits when I am home from break (most likely will not be going home in between winter break and interviews-if I get them).

Thank you for your input!!

You can wear any of that. You want to have a professional/business look. So, a nice sheath dress and blazer, dress pants/skirt and shirt, etc. Don't feel like you have to shy away from color as long as it's tasteful. Accesories are also fine, just don't over do it. You can wear heels, but make sure you are comfortable walking in them/bring a pair of flats to change into for tours etc. Just use common sense and dress like you're going to any other job interview. If you look through the 2016 GC Applicants thread, I know a few people posted what they were going to wear around February or so? Also look through other threads on GradCafe, I'm sure other people have asked about outfits. 

Does anyone else read accepted student bios and feel really unaccomplished? I was just reading the bios for Northwestern students and this one student had even competed in the olympics. Like at that point I just wanted to give up loll

9 hours ago, hfj23 said:

Does anyone else read accepted student bios and feel really unaccomplished? I was just reading the bios for Northwestern students and this one student had even competed in the olympics. Like at that point I just wanted to give up loll

I basically obsessed over these to try to understand what qualities an ideal applicant should have! It was so painful reading page after page of uber qualified people who have double PhDs and basically shadowed a genetic counselor their whole life while maintaining a 5.0 and were crisis counselors at 4 different clinics hahah

However, as many people have told me, they are usually fluffed up. I know it's human nature to compare ourselves and because we have not been accepted yet, it's easy to point out lacking qualities in our applications.We all know and have what it takes to get into these programs - it's all a matter of good timing/appropriate mix of qualities and experiences/dedication/luck along with other variables! 

The first application deadlines are coming up along with the rest of them coming soon afterword, so let's all put our best foot forward and crank those apps out!!

Hi all,

I am a re-applicant this year.  I will only be applying to University of Cincinnati.  It would be nice to be able to apply to a lot of school but with a family relocation is out of the question.  I've done a lot in the last year to strengthen my application and have high hopes :)  I also and taking the cardiovascular genetics course they offer online (about halfway finished).  Is anyone else here applying to UC? Also, I am a bit older as worked after undergrad and started a family.  I have two kids (11 & 7).  Does anyone else have children?  I've started my application and pretty much have everything submitted besides my CV and personal statement.  They are done however I want to wait and see if I want to change anything before I officially submit LOL.  I plan on doing it before Christmas though that way I can stop being obsessed with it.  

I agree the bio's can be intimidating!  Just remember they want diversity though so try to play up what you can bring to the table and how you are unique.

I didn't get an interview last year which made me pretty bummed but I also know they got about 250 applications and only can take about 20% for interviews; out of that only 12 students are accepted (about 5% of applicants!!!).  Knowing this I really upped my game as far as hands on experience and shadowing goes.  Also, this is the first year both of my kids have been in school all day so I've had a lot more time on my hands to volunteer and get the additional experiences in.  

Before applying last time I had a few years crisis counseling, specifically took Human Genetics and Biochem to enhance my understanding of genetics.  My background is Psychology and I do have research experience although qualitative.  I was on the "maybe" interview list.

This year I started volunteering at 2 hospitals (adult cancer infusion & peds transplant unit), started job shadowing a gc, as well as attending genetic counseling information events at UC. 

I also feel my personal statement is much more relaxed and shows more of my personality vs. trying to present myself as the perfect applicant.  

Does anyone know with the match system if you only apply to one school if they can notify you early or will it still be in April?  Any feedback on the cardio class?  I know there is an exam but it's a lot of content and not all videos have sides you can print so its a lot of note taking!  I plan on studying my butt off to get an A I would imaging anything under a B wouldn't be good!!!

Good luck everyone :) 

2 hours ago, slb25 said:

Hi all,

I am a re-applicant this year.  I will only be applying to University of Cincinnati.  It would be nice to be able to apply to a lot of school but with a family relocation is out of the question.  I've done a lot in the last year to strengthen my application and have high hopes :)  I also and taking the cardiovascular genetics course they offer online (about halfway finished).  Is anyone else here applying to UC? Also, I am a bit older as worked after undergrad and started a family.  I have two kids (11 & 7).  Does anyone else have children?  I've started my application and pretty much have everything submitted besides my CV and personal statement.  They are done however I want to wait and see if I want to change anything before I officially submit LOL.  I plan on doing it before Christmas though that way I can stop being obsessed with it.  

I agree the bio's can be intimidating!  Just remember they want diversity though so try to play up what you can bring to the table and how you are unique.

I didn't get an interview last year which made me pretty bummed but I also know they got about 250 applications and only can take about 20% for interviews; out of that only 12 students are accepted (about 5% of applicants!!!).  Knowing this I really upped my game as far as hands on experience and shadowing goes.  Also, this is the first year both of my kids have been in school all day so I've had a lot more time on my hands to volunteer and get the additional experiences in.  

Before applying last time I had a few years crisis counseling, specifically took Human Genetics and Biochem to enhance my understanding of genetics.  My background is Psychology and I do have research experience although qualitative.  I was on the "maybe" interview list.

This year I started volunteering at 2 hospitals (adult cancer infusion & peds transplant unit), started job shadowing a gc, as well as attending genetic counseling information events at UC. 

I also feel my personal statement is much more relaxed and shows more of my personality vs. trying to present myself as the perfect applicant.  

Does anyone know with the match system if you only apply to one school if they can notify you early or will it still be in April?  Any feedback on the cardio class?  I know there is an exam but it's a lot of content and not all videos have sides you can print so its a lot of note taking!  I plan on studying my butt off to get an A I would imaging anything under a B wouldn't be good!!!

Good luck everyone :) 

I'm also applying to UC! I've talked to a current student who had nothing but good things to say about it so I'm hoping for an interview at least. The only thing I have left to do is the dreaded video essay <_< Also waiting for my semester to end so I can upload a transcript that shows my grades up till now.

It sounds like you have a ton of experience and re-applicants seem to be looked upon favorably so I think you have a shot at getting an interview this time around! Good luck!! Also I think with the match program we are all notified on the exact same day regardless of the number of schools. Even the schools themselves won't know till April 27! 

19 hours ago, bryvy said:

I basically obsessed over these to try to understand what qualities an ideal applicant should have! It was so painful reading page after page of uber qualified people who have double PhDs and basically shadowed a genetic counselor their whole life while maintaining a 5.0 and were crisis counselors at 4 different clinics hahah

However, as many people have told me, they are usually fluffed up. I know it's human nature to compare ourselves and because we have not been accepted yet, it's easy to point out lacking qualities in our applications.We all know and have what it takes to get into these programs - it's all a matter of good timing/appropriate mix of qualities and experiences/dedication/luck along with other variables! 

The first application deadlines are coming up along with the rest of them coming soon afterword, so let's all put our best foot forward and crank those apps out!!

The bios are definitely daunting, but at the same time some of them I feel like I've done just as many if not more of the same things they have so I'm really crossing my fingers for this year. I also keep self-doubting that I've picked the right schools to apply to and enough of them.. This weekend I decided to apply to two more because I'm so anxious about trying to increase my odds of getting interviews :unsure: