Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

17 hours ago, GCBrittany said:

Woo! Just hit submit on my final application! 

Funny, when I started the app process, I thought I'd feel so relieved once I finished them. Now I'm more nervous than ever! Come on March! 

Just submitted my last application as well! It's a little anti-climactic being done with my submissions. I still have to wait for one of my recommenders to send a few letters, so I won't feel complete until that's those are in.

19 hours ago, GCEZ said:

When did you submit your application? I sent my transcripts in September and my UM friend account still shows that it hasn't been received, but the email they sent me after I created my account said it could take up to 5 business days to show that they've received application materials and it's only been 4 business days since I submitted. I'm just kind of panicking since the deadline is today. I don't want them to not have my transcripts when they start reviewing even though I sent them months ago.

I submitted my application on December 15th, which is the same day I ordered the e transcript. But I would have to agree with @LM1994 the copy we had to upload on the application itself should be good enough for them to review it? I'm just angsty about all the details.

Did anyone see about the changes to the accredidation process for new GC programs? http://gceducation.org/Pages/Establishing-a-New-Program.aspx Thoughts?

I was wondering how it would impact programs still waiting on accredidation this year but accepting applications (like Baylor). I'm also a bit bummed because it looks like there won't be (able to be) an excess of new programs next year when I apply, including the few that I was particularly excited about (WashU, University of Washington).

Hope everyone's wrapping up their applications and earning some well-deserved R&R! :)

On 1/5/2018 at 3:47 PM, freckledgenes said:

Did anyone see about the changes to the accredidation process for new GC programs? http://gceducation.org/Pages/Establishing-a-New-Program.aspx Thoughts?

I was wondering how it would impact programs still waiting on accredidation this year but accepting applications (like Baylor). I'm also a bit bummed because it looks like there won't be (able to be) an excess of new programs next year when I apply, including the few that I was particularly excited about (WashU, University of Washington).

Hope everyone's wrapping up their applications and earning some well-deserved R&R! :)

Oh gosh, I hope not... 

But at the bottom of that page it noted that the new policy went into affect 1/2/2018. So I would assume programs who have already submitted their applications are grandfathered in to the old policy?  

I think it's interesting that they're limiting it to 3 schools per review period. I suppose if they want the process to go as quickly as possible they can only review so many schools at a time though. @freckledgenes If you don't count the schools that have already submitted applications for new programs, there are spots for 6 schools to potentially open by next year's match.

Edited by Nefelibata

Lots of updates on more upcoming programs here:

https://med.ucf.edu/news/new-genetic-counseling-program-moving-forward/ (noted a desire to have first class start fall 2018, which is unlikely with new process unless all second match?)

https://geneticcounseling.uconn.edu/ (not accepting apps and will have a summer start date)

https://www.unmc.edu/news.cfm?match=20759 (starting w/ 10 students with intent to have a class of 20 thereafter, hasn't even found a program director)

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2017/12/11/vanderbilt-university-school-of-medicine-to-offer-new-masters-degree-in-genetic-counseling/ (first class expected fall 2019, director may not be a genetic counselor?) 
This little blurb made me feel a little worse about my chances of getting in "There are upward of 25 highly qualified applicants for each existing position, so we are turning away really good people in a field that desperately needs them.” Lol so a 4% chance of getting in even as a qualified applicant... if we look at it like that (and who knows where that number came from). 

3 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

https://med.ucf.edu/news/new-genetic-counseling-program-moving-forward/ (noted a desire to have first class start fall 2018, which is unlikely with new process unless all second match?)

https://geneticcounseling.uconn.edu/ (not accepting apps and will have a summer start date)

https://www.unmc.edu/news.cfm?match=20759 (starting w/ 10 students with intent to have a class of 20 thereafter, hasn't even found a program director)

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2017/12/11/vanderbilt-university-school-of-medicine-to-offer-new-masters-degree-in-genetic-counseling/ (first class expected fall 2019, director may not be a genetic counselor?) 
This little blurb made me feel a little worse about my chances of getting in "There are upward of 25 highly qualified applicants for each existing position, so we are turning away really good people in a field that desperately needs them.” Lol so a 4% chance of getting in even as a qualified applicant... if we look at it like that (and who knows where that number came from). 

Nebraska does have a program director! Article needs an update. :)

14 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

This is so exciting! I like how UCONN already has a webpage with all their pre-reqs and rotation sites (which look amazing!!). I know that new schools being added doesn't mean we have a higher chance of getting in, because it means more people will be applying overall, but it's nice to have more options. Tbh if I don't get in this cycle I will be really anxious because I have a feeling it is getting more and more competitive as time goes on. I'm definitely jealous of the people who got in years ago when not that many people knew about this field lol 

2 hours ago, trp111 said:

Anyone have any information on the likelihood of accreditation for the new programs that are accepting applications this year? Baylor, Arizona, KGI? 

Baylor has a good chance of making the deadline (mid March) for Match. Arizona could make it by the deadline, but I’m not holding my breathe on it. It likely would be accredited slightly after the deadline, maybe a little after Match Day, but def by early summer. They are planning to take students who didn’t do Match/participate in the unmatched selection process. KGI I have no idea. 

I’m hoping the accreditation board tries to push through a couple programs so they can participate. 

Has anyone been in contact with UC Irvine lately? I already sent them an email saying that my electronic transcripts haven't been downloaded yet (I get a notification when they are) and they expire in so many days but they still haven't been downloaded and I never got a response... I don't want to be annoying and send another email reminder, but the deadline is coming up....

18 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

Has anyone been in contact with UC Irvine lately? I already sent them an email saying that my electronic transcripts haven't been downloaded yet (I get a notification when they are) and they expire in so many days but they still haven't been downloaded and I never got a response... I don't want to be annoying and send another email reminder, but the deadline is coming up....

I have sent them numerous emails and they have never replied. I called the number listed on the program page and they returned my call within a few hours. If you aren't having any luck with emailing then I would definitely try giving them a call.

2 minutes ago, hb_94 said:

I have sent them numerous emails and they have never replied. I called the number listed on the program page and they returned my call within a few hours. If you aren't having any luck with emailing then I would definitely try giving them a call.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow!

9 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

Got a call from Ohio state this morning! Couldn't answer my phone because I'm at work so I don't know when their interview dates are but I'm so excited!

That's so exciting, congratulations! Is it for the early deadline as part of the fellowship?

4 minutes ago, JN212 said:

That's so exciting, congratulations! Is it for the early deadline as part of the fellowship?

I didn't have my application in until like Dec 6th or something so I don't think so. If they want to still consider me for the fellowship though I'd be more than happy!

2 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

I didn't have my application in until like Dec 6th or something so I don't think so. If they want to still consider me for the fellowship though I'd be more than happy!

Oh okay, I asked because I didn't know if it was for regular admission for the Dec. 31st deadline, if so it's really early and I am scared/anxious. 

@JN212 according to the results from last year most OSU invites went out first week of February for what I'm guessing is for people applying for the normal deadline but maybe bc @Nefelibata submitted their app earlier than that, they had time to look it over. There definitely seems to be an advantage to applying earlier but I guess it depends on how many interview spots they have! 

Hi guys, I know you are all probably waiting to hear back about your decisions. I'm sorry to intrude on that! I just found this website and am very new to GC. I was wondering if someone could give me some info? How many shadowing hours are recommended, how many students apply vs. accepted, and do the pre-reqs for most schools expire at all? 

Any help would be appreciated. Good luck to you all!

1 hour ago, hfj23 said:

@JN212 according to the results from last year most OSU invites went out first week of February for what I'm guessing is for people applying for the normal deadline but maybe bc @Nefelibata submitted their app earlier than that, they had time to look it over. There definitely seems to be an advantage to applying earlier but I guess it depends on how many interview spots they have! 

That's what I was thinking as well. Last year when I applied to OSU they contacted me the very beg. of Feb. I was just confused because I also applied early but not to the fellowship deadline and therefore was wondering if they were still giving interview spots to those who applied to that specifically due to it begin too  early for interviews for those who applied for the normal deadline. 

16 minutes ago, courtneyN said:

Hi guys, I know you are all probably waiting to hear back about your decisions. I'm sorry to intrude on that! I just found this website and am very new to GC. I was wondering if someone could give me some info? How many shadowing hours are recommended, how many students apply vs. accepted, and do the pre-reqs for most schools expire at all? 

Any help would be appreciated. Good luck to you all!

No need to be sorry -- that's what this forum is for! In my experience, people say the exact number of shadowing hours is not important, but what you take out of the experience is the important part. Shadow enough to be able to have an understanding and to be able to write about your experience. Currently they say ~33% of all applicants are accepted each year. As for pre-reqs, whether they expire or not is up to each school. I know a lot of Canadian schools say pre-reqs must be taken within 5 years. A lot of other schools say courses like genetics should be "recent". If you're not sure, it's always good to email or call a program -- they are typically very responsive and helpful!

58 minutes ago, JN212 said:

That's what I was thinking as well. Last year when I applied to OSU they contacted me the very beg. of Feb. I was just confused because I also applied early but not to the fellowship deadline and therefore was wondering if they were still giving interview spots to those who applied to that specifically due to it begin too  early for interviews for those who applied for the normal deadline. 

When I applied to OSU last year I didn't get my rejection letter until mid february-ish. I'm assuming most of the interviews are accounted for now. Math wise (and i'm kind of winging it here), I'd assume they interview about 40, and I also assume probably only 1/4 of applicants know about gradcafe and the spreadsheet, so that leaves the other 3/4 unaccounted for. So 8 people have reported interview calls. 8x4=32. 40-32. That leaves I'm guessing about 8 spots left for the last round of interviews. Nerve wracking!

3 hours ago, JN212 said:

I was told that this week was the only option to interview for those who are interested in the fellowship, so if they sent out an interview invitation this week then I think it would be too late to come for the fellowship option. So it does seem like OSU is reviewing apps on somewhat of a rolling basis