Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

9 minutes ago, HSGC2017 said:

Other things that were recommended were trying to get more exposure to the field of genetic counseling, (which is something I’m still working on, has anyone taken the University of Cinncinati online Genetic counseling cases course?),

I took their Neurogenetics class and loved it! 

Completely self paced and only had a final at the end. I got a very high B, and would highly recommend for anyone who wants a decently easily class that is directly applicable. 

1 hour ago, Lea123 said:

I noticed that some of you guys have the schools you are applying to/interviewing at on the bottom. How do you add that on to your profile?

Right hand corner where your username is. Click the dropdown and it's under account settings. From there it's the signature button. Once you add, it'll show up under your post like ours does :)

Oh good. They emailed me and asked if I had shadowed any GCs and if I could get them to fill out a rec form for me.

I'm a little bummed because I havent been able to work or intern for a GC long term, only shadow while traveling because there are only two GCs in my area, so I feel like they can only write me a so-so recommendation. I hope it doesn't hurt me. I'm glad the GC was willing to do it for me though.  

@Kaity anything you remember from Arcadia that stood out to you during your interview? About the town?  Thanks! 

On 1/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, agct664 said:

Interview with Emory!! I am freaking out so much my hands haven't stopped shaking 

Omg congrats!!!! I JUST got my application update from them this week so I’m still holding on to hope. 

Edited by GCPH

57 minutes ago, GCPH said:

Omg congrats!!!! I JUST got my application update from them this week so I’m still holding on to hope. 

Thank you!! Good luck!! Definitely hold out hope, it's still really early! I was super surprised to hear back so soon honestly. 

14 hours ago, GCBrittany said:

@Kaity anything you remember from Arcadia that stood out to you during your interview? About the town?  Thanks! 

I really liked Arcadia! I didn't interview anywhere else so I can't really compare though. The GC program is in an actual house and it's super cozy, the director and other faculty were all really nice, the students seemed to all get along well, and the town was really cute. CHOP, the hospital where they offer a lot of the rotations, is beautiful too. Really hoping I get another interview there. 

41 minutes ago, karyotype said:

Silly question here — sorry in advance! 

I’ll be a Fall 2019 applicant. Emory asks for 4 letters of rec, one of which from a work study supervisor. What if you don’t work?

So I actually almost applied to Emory and ran into this same issue. They do have different requirements for their letters, don't they? I scheduled a time to speak with the program director and kinda gave her an elevator pitch of the things I have been involved in. From our quick conversation she was able to identify someone else that would be a suitable reference and was going to make a note in my file. I didn't end up applying there for other reasons, but don't let that requirement deter you if you are really interested! Most schools would be willing to work with you on that sort of thing. Who wants to be a cookie cutter applicant, anyway?? :) good luck! 

Hi guys. I am a re-applicant from India. I had applied to 7 programs last year and got interviewed by 2 universities, - rejected by 1, waitlisted and then rejected by the 2nd. This year I have applied to 11 programs. As I am an international applicant, I cannot afford to be present at the interviews in-person. So I requested and interviewed via Skype last year and will be doing the same this year too. Among other factors which might have affected my admission chances last year, I feel that this Skype interview requirement from my side could be an important factor. I am starting to stress over this issue. Could any of you please share your Skype interview experiences and what you feel about it maybe being a factor in getting interview offers? 

On 11/01/2018 at 12:04 AM, GeneDawg said:

I thought I would feel relaxed after finishing all my apps. But, now I am just obsessively checking the results page three times a day. How are you all dealing with the wait? 

It is a really stressed time. I thought being a re-applicant would mean less stress, having done this before, but it hasn't been the case at all. I have started exercising more and am trying meditation. Meditation does work but only for a little while in the beginning.

Whenever I feel the urge to check my email for the nth time, I simply breathe once deeply, remind myself of the date and the present moment and that seems to calm me down. Usually while being stressed the dates and days are all a blur and I get caught up in a limbo. So I try to bring myself back to the facts and logically explain myself. 

Edited by FutureGC7

Shout out to programs that make you sweat unnecessarily. I submitted my app for a program two weeks ago and they emailed me twice in the past week (including yesterday, the day before the due date) to tell me they were still missing my transcripts and my GRE scores. I sent the GRE scores back in October and my transcripts in December, which was reflected in the application itself. Emailed them back both times telling them the exact dates I sent my stuff to which they didn't respond. Finally responded back today to say they have it.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:39 PM, karyotype said:

Silly question here — sorry in advance! 

I’ll be a Fall 2019 applicant. Emory asks for 4 letters of rec, one of which from a work study supervisor. What if you don’t work?

For my Emory application I had two letters from professors, one from a supervisor at a clinic where I was a volunteer interpreter/patient advocate, and one from my supervisor at an internship in a laboratory. I am pretty sure that a supervisor from an internship counts for that requirement. I have an interview with Emory, so it seems that they didn't have any problems with my rec letter writers!

On 1/11/2018 at 2:47 PM, HSGC2017 said:

Hey guys,

I’m a second time applicant this cycle. Last clue I had one interview which was pretty good considering my low under Graduate GPA (2.86 due to personal hardships). I did contact programs I applied to for application feedback for this cycle and applied  as much of it as I could to help me be a better applicant this time. I am nervous that I might not hear back from many programs this cycle because I haven’t accomplished as much as I had originally hoped I’d be able to. A year goes by really quick.  This year I’ve applied to 10 programs so I hope I hear back from a few.

Undergraduate GPA- 2.86

Genomic advocacy Graduate certificate GPA - 3.85 so far (I’m doing 3 classes in the spring)

Old GRE scores: 157/154/4.0 (V/Q/AW)

New scores: 162/166/4.5

Old volunteer experience: volunteered with a free clinic for people who have no insurance (for 5+ years). 

New Volunteering experiences: I started volunteering with a sexual assault crisis line in august. I also am a volunteer Sunday school teacher. I was a camp counselor this summer and have been more active in the networking aspect of the clinic I was volunteering with last year. 

Anyone else applying with a lower than ideal GPA?

I'm applying with a less than ideal undergrad GPA, but I've had a lot of cool experiences since graduating and some post-bacc grad level work that I'm hoping will help with that!!

15 minutes ago, Brifeir said:

has anyone heard anything from brandeis? so classic they're supposed to start letting us know today and I haven't seen anything around the forum

I haven't heard anything but I'm hoping that it's because today is a holiday and people might not be working. Just trying to keep myself sane and distracted this week haha

48 minutes ago, ICGCDW said:

I haven't heard anything but I'm hoping that it's because today is a holiday and people might not be working. Just trying to keep myself sane and distracted this week haha

That’s what i was thinking and same but trying is the key word here lol

6 hours ago, raecamp said:

I'm applying with a less than ideal undergrad GPA, but I've had a lot of cool experiences since graduating and some post-bacc grad level work that I'm hoping will help with that!!

I’m comforted knowing I’m not the only one. Best of luck to us!

Hi all!

Just discovered this feed today, which is pretty frustrating considering it would have been really helpful along the way. Better late than never :) Just thought I'd introduce myself...I am currently a senior with a 3.74 GPA (GRE: 76th for verbal, 66th for quant, 93rd for writing). I am a double major in Biology and Health Policy, and have been looking forward to applying for about 2.5 years now. Along my journey I have worked in a research lab (only lasted an academic year), became a teaching assistant for a couple of different courses (evolution and general biology lab), tutored first generation college students, became a peer counselor at my university as well as an active listener on the website 7Cups of Tea. I have shadowed prenatal, cancer, and pediatric genetic counselors for 50+ hours between two different hospitals, but not to the point where I became extremely close with any of the counselors. I also spent a summer interning at a local organization that helps parents with children with various disabilities navigate the process they must go through to acquire state services for their children. Overall I feel well qualified and I have learned so much over the past couple of years, but I still struggle with my confidence knowing how many amazing applicants are out there. I ended up applying to Brandeis, Mount Sinai, Sarah Lawrence, and Arcadia. I intended to apply to a couple more, but just could not see myself going anywhere else really. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and good luck to everyone! 

Hi, 

Long time stalker, first time contributer. 

Anyways, for those of you who have an interview with Ohio State, when are y’all planning on going for your interview? I’m thinking about flying out February 8th and then doing the interview the 9th. But it would be nice to know someone before hand! 

Also, I have a Persian cat, so I’m pretty cool. ?

4 hours ago, Lrosas17 said:

Hi, 

Long time stalker, first time contributer. 

Anyways, for those of you who have an interview with Ohio State, when are y’all planning on going for your interview? I’m thinking about flying out February 8th and then doing the interview the 9th. But it would be nice to know someone before hand! 

Also, I have a Persian cat, so I’m pretty cool. ?

Well, I have a puggle.... but, you're still cool :) 

I'm flying out Wednesday just because of the flights that were offered. At least I'll get to settle before the big day! I'll message you!

9 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

Anybody apply to Ohio State and not hear back yet? I interviewed there last year, so I thought they would interview me again this year, but I haven't heard back yet.

I applied last year and this year as well. Everyone who applied for the fellowship application should have heard back by now. But, those of us who applied for the normal application that was due Dec. 31st will most likely not hear back until next week or the very end of Jan.