Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Hi fellow applicants, looooong time obsessive lurker here that finally made an account. Just wanted to let you guys know how much this forum has kept me sane this year as a second time applicant that can’t go four seconds without refreshing her email. Wishing you all the best of luck this year!!

25 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Just because I have doubts--didn't their website say February last year, but they sent out interviews around this week?

I'm a first time applicant so not sure about last year...I did see that they sent out interviews in February for 2016, but with the match system I thought they would start even earlier! 

34 minutes ago, fortysixand2 said:

Hi folks! Random question, but does anyone happen to know when Boston interviews usually take place? I just got my first interview (Brandeis, yay!) and am trying to pick an interview date that would most easily coincide with Boston's schedule as well so I don't have to fly out twice.

Just heard from Brandeis as well! I'm wondering the same thing. It would really suck to have to fly out to Boston twice if I do end up getting an interview to Boston University.

Hey everyone! I've been obsessively refreshing this page to see what everyone is saying! 

I applied to USF, Emory, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern and Stanford. Does anyone know when I'll hear back from these programs? The Emory and USF deadlines were mid-december and the others were at the beginning of January. I'm just so anxious! 

Good luck to everyone else and congrats to those of you who have already received interviews! 

3 hours ago, Blizzard said:

I also agree that anyone who's getting Cincinnati interviews will hear this week. Does anyone want to take one for the team and call and see when/how many will be interviewed? 

I know that in the past Cincinnati has interviewed 48 applicants. I do not know if they will select more this year because of the match system? Also Cincinnati is the only school that I applied; last year they contacted applicants by now but in the past it has been anywhere from the end of January through the first week of February. I’m also checking my email a bazillion times a day LOL. 

I am also a second time applicant last year I applied to Cincinnati as well and didn’t get an interview. I can only go there because I am established here in Cincinnati and relocating is not an option. I’ve added a lot more experience to my CV this time around so hopefully I can at least get an interview.  However, I’m sure if I do get an interview my stress level is going to go through the roof because then I will be obsessing about that ?

Edited by slb25

14 minutes ago, Brifeir said:

Maybe a second time applicant would have the answer for my q- do schools sned out invites in chunks or all at once? Starting to get so nervous about not hearing from brandeis ?

It honestly depends on the program. Most schools will send interviews in waves usually a day or a couple days apart before they do rejections. There are some schools though that only do one round of interviews especially if they are a smaller school with less interview space and then usually do rejections a day or two later. But it can be difficult to say, every school is different and it also depends on how many people accept and if the schools changes their mind later on. It's hard not to stress out but there's still hope :) 

Edited by JN212

1 hour ago, ICGCDW said:

Just heard from Brandeis as well! I'm wondering the same thing. It would really suck to have to fly out to Boston twice if I do end up getting an interview to Boston University.

Hi @ICGCDW! I hear you for sure! A former employee at our office is now at the Boston program, so I'll reach out to her if no one here responds and let ya know!

44 minutes ago, fortysixand2 said:

Hi @ICGCDW! I hear you for sure! A former employee at our office is now at the Boston program, so I'll reach out to her if no one here responds and let ya know!

Oh that's great, thank you!!

3 hours ago, ICGCDW said:

The program director at Boston emailed me an hour ago saying that interview invites will be sent out no later than Feb 15th!

5 hours ago, FutureGC7 said:

I know this feeling all too well. For me this is my last attempt. And I too applied to more universities than last time. It only adds to the number of universities to have to worry about.

I feel you, as a second time around, it's hard to not be discouraged. I'm wondering what about this time has made this your last attempt? Good Luck!!

9 minutes ago, raecamp said:

I feel you, as a second time around, it's hard to not be discouraged. I'm wondering what about this time has made this your last attempt? Good Luck!!

Thank you and good luck to you too. You see, I m from a middle class background from India. Applying twice itself has cost me a lot of money in Indian currency. And all the advocacy experience I have tried to gain in these 2 years is not exactly paid for. I cannot afford to apply a third time and not earn/try to find a job and earn for another year. Plus I think if I don't make it twice then I probably don't deserve it anyway. My financial limitations are the reason why I applied to mostly mid-west schools and Canada, mainly to reduce my living costs and hence the student loan required. 

I actually have a master's degree  pertaining to Genetic Counseling from India. But neither is the field established enough out here and nor do I feel that I m adequately trained for the job because in my degree GC was taught through 3 theory courses and one 5 month shadowing experience. I do not feel adequately prepared and want to study the field in depth and work in the awesome Genetic Counseling community in North America. 

And so if I don't get the admission this year, I will have to find a related work position here and settle for it. It's not the worst case scenario but I have been wanting to study in the states for 8 years now. I wanted to get in after my 10th grade here, but the fees was too high, then again after my 12th grade I wasn't sure about my specific field and so did my bachelor's here, eventually realized that only PhD is affordable for me but then I came across GC and it blew my mind away and I just couldn't seem to not give this career path a try even if it means a lot of student debt and years of paying it off. It's just worth it. 

1 hour ago, raecamp said:

How about you ? Is it the last attempt for you too? And if so, why?

Anyone else who feels like this is their make or break application cycle ?