Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

2 hours ago, NewAtThis said:

Most relatable feeling. :D I like seeing all of your mini heart attacks and fainting spells on here. It cheers me up! lol
Nothing from UMichigan yet on the results page or from me. But I'm secretly thankful. Finally worked out all of my transcript mishaps with Michigan yesterday. Though, I am sure by all the mistakes I made with transcripts, the gods were trying to tell me that it isn't in the cards. Haven't seen Florida on the results page either. 

So schools really give interview notifications one week to 10 days before the interview? How on earth are people supposed to be expected to afford last minute flights like that? 

I know! It’s such short notice. I feel like it should be at least 3 weeks in advanced. 

6 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

I know! It’s such short notice. I feel like it should be at least 3 weeks in advanced. 

I've been hoarding frequent flyer miles the past year and a half and have only been using credit cards that have miles as rewards. Aside from short notice, I knew that any flight in March would be expensive due to spring breaks all over. I'm hoping to have enough miles to use so I only have to spend minimal, if any, money on flights. And if I don't get many interviews/don't get accepted, then I'll use my miles for a vacation!

Edited by Nefelibata

7 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

I've been thinking about this a lot today. Not only are flights on a week or two's notice a fortune, at least from the airport I fly from, (except Cincinnati--thank you frontier airlines). But also, anyone else who works full time--are you a little worried? I have appointments all day every day--and I'm required to let people schedule a month out. Right now I'm booked solid through most of February. I have vacation time, but using it is another story.

6 hours ago, FutureGC7 said:

Guys I was just trying to find out interview questions that I might need to prepare for, if my Oklahoma interview is finalized and I found this in my notes - If you are re-applying and have added new universities to your application list and have received interview offers from those new universities - It is important to prepare an answer as to why you did not apply to that university last time but have applied this time. It reflects on how you chose your universities. 

Thanks, I think that is great advice! I applied to a lot of different schools this cycle, and I'm sure someone will ask me that. I've been trying to think of questions I can ask the programs - I know they don't like it when you don't have any more questions to ask, and I feel like I ran out really early in the interview process last year. 

3 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

Thanks, I think that is great advice! I applied to a lot of different schools this cycle, and I'm sure someone will ask me that. I've been trying to think of questions I can ask the programs - I know they don't like it when you don't have any more questions to ask, and I feel like I ran out really early in the interview process last year. 

I feel the same. Honestly, they explain almost everything in the orientation. And I contacted the programs before applying with a lot of questions, even viewed their info seminars and all. There is hardly anything left to inquire when they give us the opportunity to ask. Last year, I asked a professor about the city - literally about how the city is and how the people are ! Because all the important questions were answered by the program director beforehand. I felt so foolish after that. From where are we suppose to come up with interesting questions?!!! :huh:

22 hours ago, FutureGC7 said:

I had made a general spreadsheet last year with basic info, nothing specific to interview. I haven't made any this year but here are the general column heads we could use for this interview spreadsheet.

University - explanation & eligibility for the Match tracks - mentorship/guidance for students in the program - job opportunities in the specific state - assistantship opportunities during the program - alumni questions - on-campus housing if applicable. 

Most of this will already be explained during the orientation they have before the interview but if there are specific questions from it then we can enquire those. Like I would add questions about visa and part-time work opportunities on-campus for international students. 

I haven't started preparing for interviews yet. I just want atleast one interview offer before I start studying for the interviews. So I m also looking for suggestions about how to prepare for the interviews...

Thank you.  Getting at least one interview offer will definitely be more motivating, but I feel like I need extra time to prepare for interviews so that I can be focused and concise.  

Good luck to all of us that are still hoping for that first interview offer!

28 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

But also, anyone else who works full time--are you a little worried?

Yeah, real worried. I honestly have decided to put it out of my mind because there is no guarantee that I will get any interviews yet. But I never informed my company that I was applying to graduate school this year. I don't think they would be too thrilled about me leaving. Our company policy is two-week notice for vacation days, granted they are flexible if you have a good excuse. But they may get suspicious if I have to do this more than once.

45 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Equal parts worried about getting the time off and money spent getting there! On top of having to get time off from my current grad program and set up people to take care of my greenhouse, I am the house director for a sorority and can't spend the night away from the house without someone there to take my place! About 4 schools are within driving distance, so I am hoping that will cut down on costs..but then that's more time off! Oh well, I am trying not to think about it until I am in that position! Always trying to remember that a worse position to be in is not getting any interviews at all. 

56 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I also work full time but in a research lab so I think I'm sort of lucky. I have a pretty flexible schedule and the PI is super supportive of me applying to grad school. I think I'll be fine with taking days off that I need, but I'm also working on submitting a paper with a March deadline so... the timing is really bad for me to be gone so much if I get more interviews. Also super stressed about how much all of this will cost! The price of flying to North Carolina alone is breaking my budget. 

Edited by ICGCDW

7 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

Yeah, real worried. I honestly have decided to put it out of my mind because there is no guarantee that I will get any interviews yet. But I never informed my company that I was applying to graduate school this year. I don't think they would be too thrilled about me leaving. Our company policy is two-week notice for vacation days, granted they are flexible if you have a good excuse. But they may get suspicious if I have to do this more than once.

I can definitely empathize with your situation, since I was working full time last Spring during interview season.  One of my interviews was in the middle of the week and I took Friday off to make it seem more like a mini vacation, and the other was on Monday, in a beautiful place where I also had family, so again, I took extra time off and was able to make a mini vacation of it.  It was during an intensely busy time in my lab so I put in weekend time to meet my deadline before I left, and had made an outline showing how I would continue the work when I got back...  I was lucky that my supervisor respected my plan and my privacy.  But in general I would advise to try to have faith that it will all work out ~ people at may be less suspicious than you might think, and if you do get multiple interviews, all the more chance that you will be moving on!

6 minutes ago, agct664 said:

anyone else anxiously waiting to hear from Indiana today? I hate knowing the actual date interviews are supposed to send out!!

I realized it just now that I don't actually like knowing the invite date. I m continuously checking my mail. It's almost 2pm in Indiana. Why aren't they sending out the invites !!!

23 minutes ago, agct664 said:

anyone else anxiously waiting to hear from Indiana today? I hate knowing the actual date interviews are supposed to send out!!

When did you submit your application for Emory and when did you hear back from them that you received an interview? I know that some interviews have been rolling out recently and I just want to know approximately when to expect mine! 

21 minutes ago, GC2018 said:

When did you submit your application for Emory and when did you hear back from them that you received an interview? I know that some interviews have been rolling out recently and I just want to know approximately when to expect mine! 

Hey! I submitted my emory app the week it was due and heard back today!

Edited by GCPH

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

I started a new position in January and can’t technically take off until early April ? so I’m very stressed. I just barely got my two interviews off as I mentioned I had prior vacation plans (legit flying into Sioux Falls Friday at 10a and leaving that night at 8pm...). But anymore in March and I’m not sure what I’m doing to do.. I’m hopefully changing to working four 10s soon with Monday’s off which might fix any problems that could arise IF Interviews are Monday’s...

4 minutes ago, GC2018 said:

That kinda makes me nervous :/ I submitted mine on December 1st and still haven't heard back 

The interviews go until mid March so there’s definitely still time left! 

17 minutes ago, GC2018 said:

I submitted mine on the deadline December 22nd and heard back on January 11th! and try not to stress, there were 6 interview dates and it didnt seem like many spots were full yet when I submitted my preferences!

Edited by agct664

3 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

Wasn’t their deadline the 22nd? I believe that’s what it said on their website. I submitted mine a few days before the 22nd so I hope I am considered ?

I submitted mine at like 8 PM on the 22nd so no worries!!

30 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

I realized it just now that I don't actually like knowing the invite date.

LOL.   I only laugh because I am counting down the days until the 12th for Utah... but I know once it gets closer I will be freaking out! Seems like the majority of my schools send out invites later in Feb or early March... soooo here I wait :).

Also, all of you with full time jobs, I totally understand. My lab knows of my plans for graduate school, but what if I don't get in? I'm training my replacement!

7 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

Wasn’t their deadline the 22nd? I believe that’s what it said on their website. I submitted mine a few days before the 22nd so I hope I am considered ?

Omg you’re right I was getting confused with all the different due dates I had ???

but I definitely turned it in the week of the due date