Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

5 minutes ago, GC12018 said:

Uh oh I didn’t get it. I think this is just me having the nerves set in haha

Did you put your Match ID number on the personal statement section of the application? I'm pretty sure I forgot to so she might just be sending it out to the people who forgot. 

21 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

Did you put your Match ID number on the personal statement section of the application? I'm pretty sure I forgot to so she might just be sending it out to the people who forgot. 

Ohh that's likely the case. I didn't get the email, but I definitely put my Match ID in the personal statement section.

I echo the sentiment many of you have expressed, that doubling the number of applications has not increased my peace of mind ~ in fact, with so much more of my life invested in this endeavor, I feel about five times the anxiety as I did last year. 

As I worked through my applications, I was encouraged by the facts that even with my lower GPA/GRE scores, I had two interviews last year, and since then I have increased my GPA with classes in statistics and psychology, and most significantly, I followed the grad school’s feedback and was able to get some fantastic shadowing experience, as well as tripling my advocacy experience.  I believe my LORs are stronger this year as well. 

But now I am experiencing the fear that all of that may not be enough to offset my lower scores.  What calms me down is to think about why I want to become a genetic counselor.  I have a vision of serving my world by empowering families with knowledge about their genetics.   I feel strongly that with my rich experience in genomic research, I bring with me a unique strength to the field.  We’ll see!   

I know that while I wait to see whether or not I am offered that opportunity, there is much I can do to prepare for potential interviews.  I would like to be better prepared for the interview question, “Do you have any questions for me about our program?”  I thought one way to start might be to make a spreadsheet to compare the programs, and compose questions to fill in the blanks…  Any ideas or tips?  I would love to hear from you regarding how you are preparing for your interviews.

41 minutes ago, GC2GC said:

I know that while I wait to see whether or not I am offered that opportunity, there is much I can do to prepare for potential interviews.  I would like to be better prepared for the interview question, “Do you have any questions for me about our program?”  I thought one way to start might be to make a spreadsheet to compare the programs, and compose questions to fill in the blanks…  Any ideas or tips?  I would love to hear from you regarding how you are preparing for your interviews.

I had made a general spreadsheet last year with basic info, nothing specific to interview. I haven't made any this year but here are the general column heads we could use for this interview spreadsheet.

University - explanation & eligibility for the Match tracks - mentorship/guidance for students in the program - job opportunities in the specific state - assistantship opportunities during the program - alumni questions - on-campus housing if applicable. 

Most of this will already be explained during the orientation they have before the interview but if there are specific questions from it then we can enquire those. Like I would add questions about visa and part-time work opportunities on-campus for international students. 

I haven't started preparing for interviews yet. I just want atleast one interview offer before I start studying for the interviews. So I m also looking for suggestions about how to prepare for the interviews...

Edited by FutureGC7

On 1/19/2018 at 5:17 PM, kelly14 said:

I also haven’t heard from Minnesota :( last year they sent my rejection on my birthday, so that was fun!

I haven't heard from them yet either. Hopefully this year won't be a repeat for you!

1 hour ago, soon2beGC said:

If you applied to Oklahoma, check your email! I just got my interview notification.

I'm shocked they are giving you less than two weeks to plan your trip and get out there :o but congrats!

Edited by AspiringGC

5 minutes ago, Genez said:

Like about 100% of the rest of you, I'm feeling particularly anxious about the arrival of interview requests. How fancy do people normally dress for the dinners with current students the night before an interview?

Not at all. I've been to three. One at a Panera, one at a grill type restaurant, one at a current student's apartment building. Current students were mostly in leggings in all three cases. 

7 minutes ago, Genez said:

Like about 100% of the rest of you, I'm feeling particularly anxious about the arrival of interview requests. How fancy do people normally dress for the dinners with current students the night before an interview?

I went to Ohio State and to the informal dinner before people wore business casual ish (nice/dark jeans some had leggings and sweaters etc.) then business professional suits for the actual interview. 

I wouldn't stress about the informal stuff as long as you don't wear anything that's torn or a t-shirt.

Edited by KCGC

45 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I'm shocked they are giving you less than two weeks to plan your trip and get out there :o but congrats!

I know, but they only gave me two interview dates: 2/2 or 2/9. And thanks!

I got my very first interview offer!!! From Oklahoma. Got it about 2 hours ago, but haven't received a definitive response regarding the possibility of a Skype interview yet. I don't know if they can cancel my interview offer only because of this. I have no clue. Before applying to Oklahoma, I had phoned them up and they said that they "maybe able to offer Skype interview". They never actually said yes or no. So now I don't know how to feel - should I be excited about getting an interview offer or should I be concerned that I haven't actually got it in terms of a finalized Skype interview date!  :unsure: I wish I was in the states or at least able to afford the interview in-person! This really sucks! 

Edited by FutureGC7

24 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

I got my very first interview offer!!! From Oklahoma. Got it about 2 hours ago, but haven't received a definitive response regarding the possibility of a Skype interview yet. I don't know if they can cancel my interview offer only because of this. I have no clue. Before applying to Oklahoma, I had phoned them up and they said that they "maybe able to offer Skype interview". They never actually said yes or no. So now I don't know how to feel - should I be excited about getting an interview offer or should I be concerned that I haven't actually got it in terms of a finalized Skype interview date!  :unsure: I wish I was in the states or at least able to afford the interview in-person! This really sucks! 

I'm really hoping they say yes! Honestly to me, it would reflect poorly on the program if they refused to give an international applicant such as yourself a skype interview. I understand why in person interviews are preferred, but they can just ask the same questions over skype 

3 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

I'm really hoping they say yes! Honestly to me, it would reflect poorly on the program if they refused to give an international applicant such as yourself a skype interview. I understand why in person interviews are preferred, but they can just ask the same questions over skype 

Thank you so much for your kind words and for rooting for me. I love that I feel heard on this forum! And I agree with you that it can look bad on their part if they decide not to. Last year, my interview letters already included details about Skype. One of them did not have the dates, but they had confirmed that they will conduct the interview via Skype. So this is my first time not knowing in the interview offer itself about this. But I have my fingers crossed! I think they will discuss it and get back to me tomorrow or in this week. Just gto keep hoping! :) 

Arcadia has some real chutzpa. I just got something in the mail from them. 

They sent me a postcard in the mail that just says, “Your application has been completed and is being reviewed! Thank you for applying.”

I need a drink after that. In other news, I still haven’t heard from Florida or UMichigan. Has anyone else? 

6 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

They sent me a postcard in the mail that just says, “Your application has been completed and is being reviewed! Thank you for applying.”

I need a drink after that. In other news, I still haven’t heard from Florida or UMichigan. Has anyone else? 

CSUStan does the same thing, but it's like info for verifying residency and some other unnecessary things... Like come on... that can wait..

Hey, current UCI student checking in with some info on our interviews this year-

UCI will be conducting their interviews on Mondays in Feb, March and April, the first date being Feb 12th. Last year I received my invitation to interview 6 days before the first interview date, so I wouldn't expect to hear from UCI much before the week of Feb 5th.

The current students will be inviting you to join us for dinner the preceding Sunday night :)

Hey guys!  Congrats on everyone who has already heard back from their colleges about getting interviews!  That's totally awesome.  I am a graduating senior but I am not applying until the Fall 2019 cycle.  I was just wondering for anyone who maybe has heard back from Stanford, what's the likelihood of getting an interview?  I have a 3.4 GPA and am involved a lot on campus and I would love to go to Stanford, but I don't know if I should waste my money and time applying if it is really hard to get into.  Thinking about doing it anyway but some advice would be lovely!! Thanks guys!

Guys I was just trying to find out interview questions that I might need to prepare for, if my Oklahoma interview is finalized and I found this in my notes - If you are re-applying and have added new universities to your application list and have received interview offers from those new universities - It is important to prepare an answer as to why you did not apply to that university last time but have applied this time. It reflects on how you chose your universities. 

13 hours ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

Most relatable feeling. :D I like seeing all of your mini heart attacks and fainting spells on here. It cheers me up! lol
Nothing from UMichigan yet on the results page or from me. But I'm secretly thankful. Finally worked out all of my transcript mishaps with Michigan yesterday. Though, I am sure by all the mistakes I made with transcripts, the gods were trying to tell me that it isn't in the cards. Haven't seen Florida on the results page either. 

So schools really give interview notifications one week to 10 days before the interview? How on earth are people supposed to be expected to afford last minute flights like that? 

4 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

Most relatable feeling. :D I like seeing all of your mini heart attacks and fainting spells on here. It cheers me up! lol

None of the schools I've applied to have sent out anything.  Not even unrelated e-mails just to tell me about the campus. The silence is deafening.  I wasn't expecting to hear anything until February, but seeing everyone else get interview offers for other schools already is making me feel a little antsy.

26 minutes ago, TAGC said:

None of the schools I've applied to have sent out anything.  Not even unrelated e-mails just to tell me about the campus. The silence is deafening.  I wasn't expecting to hear anything until February, but seeing everyone else get interview offers for other schools already is making me feel a little antsy.

I feel your pain! I also haven't heard anything. And while I wasn't REALLY expecting to hear until February, the fact that everyone else is, is making me nervous too. I guess we can take some solace in the fact our schools haven't called ANYONE yet, so no news is good news.