Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

38 minutes ago, jpmcm0 said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Brandeis? I got a generic email from the graduate school today and almost passed out. I just want to hear something from any of my schools!

It looks like a lot of people already got their rejection/invitations from Brandeis last week. It might be worth it to shoot them an email about your application?

11 hours ago, taylorelocin said:

Thanks! Ugh, end of Feb/early March... that's torture haha. I'm not keeping my hopes up too high but the waiting game is nerve-racking. Did you end up getting accepted to Pitt or any other programs last year?

No GC programs for me, so I'm anxiously waiting out the application and interview process! Last year I applied to 7 schools and interviewed, then waitlisted at 3. It was a good experience.

I think the schools will hold off on sending out all of the rejections until interview slots are full. That way, if someone declines an interview, they can still fill that slot. Some of the schools also do waves of interview offers.

Edited by Gadgette

2 hours ago, jpmcm0 said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Brandeis? I got a generic email from the graduate school today and almost passed out. I just want to hear something from any of my schools!

I got that email too, unfortunately I've already been rejected so I was less than thrilled to be getting anymore mail from them

6 minutes ago, HelenM said:

For those of you who have previously interviewed,

Are the travel expenses when going for the interview all out of pocket? (Flight, Hotel/Stay, Food, etc.).

Your transportation to the interview is for sure out of pocket. Some places offer to let you stay with a student instead of making you pay for a hotel, but not all programs do that. In my experience, they typically feed you lunch the day of your interview, and a dinner either the night before or the night of your interview if they choose to host a dinner with the current students.

3 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

Your transportation to the interview is for sure out of pocket. Some places offer to let you stay with a student instead of making you pay for a hotel, but not all programs do that. In my experience, they typically feed you lunch the day of your interview, and a dinner either the night before or the night of your interview if they choose to host a dinner with the current students.

Wow (fingers crossed) If i do get interviews it is going to be lots hahaha

By the way I also applied for UTH, Baylor, and Sarah Lawrence. How do you feel about Baylor being a brand new program?

1 hour ago, Brifeir said:

I got that email too, unfortunately I've already been rejected so I was less than thrilled to be getting anymore mail from them

Right? I was rejected from Brandeis the other week and got one of those automated emails from the Dean, no less. Not a fun way to start your morning!

5 minutes ago, HelenM said:

Wow (fingers crossed) If i do get interviews it is going to be lots hahaha

By the way I also applied for UTH, Baylor, and Sarah Lawrence. How do you feel about Baylor being a brand new program?

I think Baylor will have what it needs to be a successful program. There are TONS of genetic counselors in Houston alone (I think I heard 80+ as a number once?), and the students at UThealth already do their lab rotation through Baylor so it seems like they have a pretty solid foundation. My PI is a big fan of Baylor and the research they do down there so I've only heard positive things about it.

I also feel fortunate to live 20 minutes from a major airport that is also a main hub for Delta and Sun Country, so there are a large number of flights to choose from when flying anywhere and prices aren't too awful. And I have tons of frequent flyer miles I saved up. Like a crazy ton. Haha.

3 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

I think Baylor will have what it needs to be a successful program. There are TONS of genetic counselors in Houston alone (I think I heard 80+ as a number once?), and the students at UThealth already do their lab rotation through Baylor so it seems like they have a pretty solid foundation. My PI is a big fan of Baylor and the research they do down there so I've only heard positive things about it.

Yeah I think it would be great but since I am already in Houston I am looking for programs where I can do out of town rotations or even out of the country if possible and the program doesn't have those connections just yet! But I have received some emails from them asking for some application material recently and feel hopeful :) Stay in touch for any responses from Houston or SLC!

13 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

Guys I finally got my Oklahoma Skype interview confirmed. My very first interview offer! Thank you to all who hoped I would get it! Finally some good news! ???

Oh my goodness congrats!! I'm so happy they were willing to accommodate you, that's so exciting!

3 minutes ago, agct664 said:

Oh my goodness congrats!! I'm so happy they were willing to accommodate you, that's so exciting!

Thank you so much. I am thankful they saw my application worthy enough to accept my Skype request. This gives me so much hope at this point of time. ☺️

7 minutes ago, katiespencer said:

That is so exciting!!! Hope it goes well!

Hey! Out of curiosity. I noticed you applied for Mt. Sinai but not Sarah Lawrence. Is there a specific reason you chose Mt. Sinnai over SLC?

9 minutes ago, katiespencer said:

That is so exciting!!! Hope it goes well!

Thank you ! ? After my Indiana rejection yday, this finally made me smile. 

Bdw congrats to all who got invites from Indiana. ??? ?

Edited by FutureGC7

13 minutes ago, HelenM said:

Hey! Out of curiosity. I noticed you applied for Mt. Sinai but not Sarah Lawrence. Is there a specific reason you chose Mt. Sinnai over SLC?

I'm not the person you were asking the question to, but for me class size was a really important factor in picking which school to go to.  SLC accepts 25-30 students per year while Mt Sinnai accepts 8-12.  That would definitely be a deciding factor for me in where to go.  I didn't apply to either due to location, but that's a different issue.

6 minutes ago, daisyhunter said:

Have people gotten IU rejections yet?

No rejection email per se. But since they had said that they will declare invites on 23rd (they did it on 24th) i.e. only on one day, not getting an invite email means being rejected. This is what we all are assuming. 

3 minutes ago, TAGC said:

I'm not the person you were asking the question to, but for me class size was a really important factor in picking which school to go to.  SLC accepts 25-30 students per year while Mt Sinnai accepts 8-12.  That would definitely be a deciding factor for me in where to go.  I didn't apply to either due to location, but that's a different issue.

Hey same here! I just felt that such a big class may not be a personalized experience at all. I also didn't apply bcz New York is too expensive to live in. But the class size is my major reason too. Having had studied in such a big class before, I definitely want my Masters experience to be a lil personalized. 

4 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

Hey same here! I just felt that such a big class may not be a personalized experience at all. I also didn't apply bcz New York is too expensive to live in. But the class size is my major reason too. Having had studied in such a big class before, I definitely want my Masters experience to be a lil personalized. 

Yeah I completely understand about the class size. I did consider it, but also though bigger class size is more chance of acceptance (maybe?) haha and 25-30 is not uncontrollably large but def. not the same. The program I am in now has a class size of 4 and we have all our professors numbers and sometimes just text them for help :lol: pretty funny and nice to be close with them

@HelenMI am a little unsure of the whole big class size thing, but the director of the program in my home state went there and she suggested I should apply because she thought I would be a good fit. This is probably a ways down the road, but in the future as there are more genetic counselors and programs are able to take more students, I figure class sizes for most programs will end up being about that size too. 

Edited by Nefelibata