Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

2 minutes ago, TAGC said:

I actually completely ignored the letter, thinking I'd only bother with it if I got an interview.  Maybe I should go back and read it more thoroughly :-s

That's what I was wondering too. Like it might just be a generic letter they send everyone who applies to the university

3 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Utah stated 2/12 on the website for when interviews will be sent. I’m not sure about Colorado. 

Thanks! As soon as I posted I realized I did know Utah's date :rolleyes: I appreciate the help though

51 minutes ago, dragongc10 said:

Does anyone have an idea when Colorado or Utah are anticipating to send out interview invites?

Colorado sent out invites on 02/04 last year. Their application due date was a few days sooner this cycle, so I would say the same date or a tad sooner.

Edited by hb_94
02/04 not 01/04 :)

9 minutes ago, Raerae32 said:

Does anyone know when Michigan is planning to send out interviews?

According to the results tab, they sent them around this time last year...

32 minutes ago, hb_94 said:

Colorado sent out invites on 01/04 last year. Their application due date was a few days sooner this cycle, so I would say the same date or a tad sooner.

I think Colorado had some technical difficulties this year, so applications were delayed.  That could explain why no one has heard anything yet.

3 minutes ago, TAGC said:

I think Colorado had some technical difficulties this year, so applications were delayed.  That could explain why no one has heard anything yet.

I just realized I said 01/04, I meant 02/04 haha. But yes they did have some technical difficulties. Applications were due 01/01 but the application portal closed on 12/31. Colorado reopened the portal and extended the due date to 01/02. So hopefully that one day extension doesn't cause too much of a delay in hearing back from them.

11 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

I'd love any info you have on Baylor. I'm pretty interested in them!

So it's been a little while since I was there, and I'm sure things have shifted around a little, but I do have a few insights! I think that Baylor is pretty cutting-edge when it comes to genetics, so it's surprising that there hasn't been a program until now, and there were a lot of things I heard mentioned (international telegenetics, strong relationship w/ Baylor's own genetics lab) that I think will make for some really interesting rotations/thesis options. I don't know a lot about that specifically, but I think the proximity of the Baylor Miraca lab will probably create more opportunities for students to learn about the lab/testing aspect, which could be cool for those interested in working in industry? Because Baylor seems to develop/get all the newest testing options first, I also think that their students will be able to learn about these early too. 

I also think that it'll be easier for them to transition as a new program since they already host rotations from the UT program. I got the impression that all of the faculty and the director, Dan, are very on the ball when it comes to developing the new program. In terms of the program staff (a lot of them were either my mentors/I worked closely with them), I thought everyone there really helped facilitate a very supportive environment. I was definitely nervous about the internship, but all of the physicians/genetic counselors treated me very well, were extremely welcoming, and did so much to help me learn. Even though I was shadowing the GCs, I thought the physicians (esp. in pediatric because they work so closely) went out of their way to teach me new things, take me with them to shadow if another patient canceled, etc. I celebrated my birthday near the end of the internship, and some of the GCs went out to breakfast with me--I really think that anyone in their program will be impressed by how dedicated the faculty/physicians/GCs are. Houston is a pretty amazing city too, and the area that the medical center is in is pretty cool, with lots of apartments/neighborhoods with solid housing options! Let me know if that answers your questions, or if there's anything else specifically you'd like to know more about :) 

12 minutes ago, French75 said:

So it's been a little while since I was there, and I'm sure things have shifted around a little, but I do have a few insights! I think that Baylor is pretty cutting-edge when it comes to genetics, so it's surprising that there hasn't been a program until now, and there were a lot of things I heard mentioned (international telegenetics, strong relationship w/ Baylor's own genetics lab) that I think will make for some really interesting rotations/thesis options. I don't know a lot about that specifically, but I think the proximity of the Baylor Miraca lab will probably create more opportunities for students to learn about the lab/testing aspect, which could be cool for those interested in working in industry? Because Baylor seems to develop/get all the newest testing options first, I also think that their students will be able to learn about these early too. 

I also think that it'll be easier for them to transition as a new program since they already host rotations from the UT program. I got the impression that all of the faculty and the director, Dan, are very on the ball when it comes to developing the new program. In terms of the program staff (a lot of them were either my mentors/I worked closely with them), I thought everyone there really helped facilitate a very supportive environment. I was definitely nervous about the internship, but all of the physicians/genetic counselors treated me very well, were extremely welcoming, and did so much to help me learn. Even though I was shadowing the GCs, I thought the physicians (esp. in pediatric because they work so closely) went out of their way to teach me new things, take me with them to shadow if another patient canceled, etc. I celebrated my birthday near the end of the internship, and some of the GCs went out to breakfast with me--I really think that anyone in their program will be impressed by how dedicated the faculty/physicians/GCs are. Houston is a pretty amazing city too, and the area that the medical center is in is pretty cool, with lots of apartments/neighborhoods with solid housing options! Let me know if that answers your questions, or if there's anything else specifically you'd like to know more about :) 

I would love to be accepted to either school in Houston. The medical field there is so supported and they are on the forefront of so many things. I also agree just from my interactions with Dan that they seem to be on the ball about everything!

Hi All,

New to the forum! This is my first year applying to programs. I have received an interview to Brandeis, Rutgers and University of Maryland so far and I'm waiting to hear back from 4 more programs. For people who have applied and interviewed before could you describe what questions you were asked, if there were activities, common themes etc. and give any tips you may have for preparation! Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

Edited by GChopeful860

10 minutes ago, sunT said:

Same here! I guess we'll be seeing each other for the third time haha! 

edit: submitted my app mid-November.

Yay! Congratulations! I saw your app for Pitt is still pending -- same here. I hope we hear back soon! I'm nervous due to my GRE scores, but hopefully, my grades & experience will make up for it... who knows. How do you feel about your chances Pitt so far? I feel like others' experiences with Pitt has been 50/50

4 minutes ago, sunT said:

I'm sure you're much more qualified than you think :).

I know Pitt has a pretty popular and established program for anyone in the midwest/east coast. I feel pretty good about my chances, but it's the only school where I haven't been able to meet the program director face-to-face. So I have no idea. I may actually end up declining an interview offer anyway. I just found out some (good) family news that would make it really hard for us to handle relocating and out-of-state tuition. Good luck!

Thanks for saying that! And I'm glad it was good news for you and your family!

Good luck to you in your interview process -- kick butt!

Those of you who got Cincinnati interviews congrats! They were my top choice, it does feel good to be rejected by them two years in a row though. :ph34r:

Does anyone have a guess on if they sent them all in one group? They're interviewing 48. 

4 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Those of you who got Cincinnati interviews congrats! They were my top choice, it does feel good to be rejected by them two years in a row though. :ph34r:

Does anyone have a guess on if they sent them all in one group? They're interviewing 48. 

Did Cincinnati send you a rejection email?

6 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

i wouldn't take this as a rejection yet! They invited 8 people for this interview but its the diversity day one so it might be different 

7 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

From what I heard, they only sent out emails to the "underrepresented/diverse" applicants track, and they have a specific interview date. As far as I know, they haven't sent out the other invites.

14 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

From what I heard, they only sent out emails to the "underrepresented/diverse" applicants track, and they have a specific interview date. As far as I know, they haven't sent out the other invites.

Was there an option on the application to choose for that track?

4 minutes ago, LM1994 said:

Was there an option on the application to choose for that track?

I don't remember, but I'm sure there were some questions on the app that alluded to if you are diverse or underrepresented.

OK so Cincinnati is the only school I applied to and I just checked my email and I don’t have anything.

That being said I wouldn’t be considered a diverse student.  I’m still having a heart attack right now!!! I probably need to just stay away from my email until later in the afternoon ??

Jit’s curious- How you know it is diversity and that they only invited at eight?

This is a general question that I’ve been thinking of over the last few days: do you feel like they have their top picks already picked out?  I know that Cincinnati interviews 48 but only can accept 12. Do you think they have the top 12 already ranked and want to see how they do in the interview? Or do you feel like those 48 all have an equal chance for the 12 spots?