Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

28 minutes ago, daisyhunter said:

I am bummed too, I have only gotten one interview so far and this is my second cycle applying. My heart is of course set on NW so fingers still crossed for that, but I'm worried with everyone who has talked about getting rejected from programs they were waitlisted at last year. I even went and met with the coordinators from the program over the summer at NW in an effort to see what I should improve, but I'm now anxious that will be my situation. I think I'm only sharing so that I have voiced my stress to a group of people who can really relate. 

I can sympathize. I thought the world of Minnesota's program before I was rejected. But honestly, all of the programs are really good! I haven't been to a program site that I was truly unhappy with, so keep your head up! I hope you interview at Northwestern, but even if you don't, wherever you end up will be a good school!

1 hour ago, HelenM said:

No from Stanford! I am a little sad, but knowing the requirements and status of Stanford doesn't surprise me. I wonder if they filtered by using GRE scores. My quantitative was just 51% percentile, which is the weak spot in my applications.

Did they email you or did you check the online app? If you checked it online is that information on the same page that you view your application status?

Applied/Rejected/Interview: CSU Stanislaus, Stanford, Utah, Denver, Pittsburgh, Arcadia, Thomas Jefferson

2 hours ago, krhahto said:

I got my Interview email on either Thursday or Friday, sent in my preferences Friday, and heard back from her today. When did send your preferences?

I got my interview email on Thursday and sent my preferences in that Friday morning. I’ll wait a few more days and if I don’t hear anything I’ll probably just call her. 

Also got a no from Stanford! I was initially discouraged about the results page on this website, at the time I checked, three recent submissions were interviews from Stanford with only one rejection. Then I realized that people who have gotten interviews are more likely to rush to submit their result, versus those of us that might be feeling a little stung about a rejection.

Something to keep in mind when trying to compare your results to others' invitations and acceptances over the next few months - it's easy to feel like you're in the minority, but there's lots of us receiving rejections! Keep your heads up :)

On 1/19/2018 at 5:02 PM, agct664 said:

For those of y'all interviewing at Minnesota, let me know which interview date you get! Would love see you guys there!

I will be interviewing at Minnesota on March 22-23!

Hey guys! I was wondering if you guys were getting emails regarding interviews or were you checking your application portals? I see some people have heard back from University of Cincinnati, but I have not. I was wondering if you received an email or if you checked your online application portal?

2 hours ago, TAGC said:

Got an e-mail from Manitoba offering me an interview! So relieved to finally have heard from a program. They offered 4 interview dates: March 6th, March 13th, March 20th, and March 27th.

Grats!!!

16 minutes ago, CdaveyGC said:

Anyone hear back from UMich or Wayne? I'm shaking thinking that February is almost here. 

I was told pretty much point blank by the WSU director that I wouldn't be considered unless they got a really poor pool of applications this cycle ^_^ so, I don't expect to hear from them, period, until probably March or so when rejection letters go out, but I assume those of you who are more dream team material will be hearing in the next week. There was mention of the last week of January!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I was told pretty much point blank by the WSU director that I wouldn't be considered unless they got a really poor pool of applications this cycle ^_^ so, I don't expect to hear from them, period, until probably March or so when rejection letters go out, but I assume those of you who are more dream team material will be hearing in the next week. There was mention of the last week of January!!!!!

I submitted my applications to umich and Wayne on-time.  But the people who wrote my letters took forever and didn't put my letters in until like 10 days past the deadline.  Do you know if I'll still be considered or if they'll throw my app away due to the letters not being in.  Michigan's app was due January 4 and I submitted and paid on-time but my letters were not.  Same for Wayne 

15 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I was told pretty much point blank by the WSU director that I wouldn't be considered unless they got a really poor pool of applications this cycle. 

Can they actually say that to you? It's nothing like program director language. It's crude n not helpful in any way. 

6 minutes ago, CdaveyGC said:

I submitted my applications to umich and Wayne on-time.  But the people who wrote my letters took forever and didn't put my letters in until like 10 days past the deadline.  Do you know if I'll still be considered or if they'll throw my app away due to the letters not being in.  Michigan's app was due January 4 and I submitted and paid on-time but my letters were not.  Same for Wayne 

First off, that sucks I am sorry you had to deal with that. I think it is largely up to the program, but I would say shoot them an email with an apology if you haven't already, just letting them know you recognize there was a delay etc? I'm not sure, but I feel like if you're a strong candidate they won't discount you terribly for that. 

12 minutes ago, CdaveyGC said:

It depends on the program. I had a letter writer last year who forgot a couple of schools. Those schools emailed me and I reminded the writer about them, and there was no issue.

9 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

Can they actually say that to you? It's nothing like program director language. It's crude n not helpful in any way. 

It wasn't phrased rudely. I'm summarizing. It was in a longer discussion. She wasn't rude about it, just honest (which I DO appreciate!!!)

5 minutes ago, CdaveyGC said:

Do they usually update application status on the website before sending out emails and such?  Just wondering if I should keep refreshing the page or not

As far as I know I don't think most programs do. 

34 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

It wasn't phrased rudely. I'm summarizing. It was in a longer discussion. She wasn't rude about it, just honest (which I DO appreciate!!!)

Hi, I am a student at Wayne, and I can GUARANTEE she did not say it in a rude way. She is one of the nicest women I have ever met, and I am not saying that because she is my program director.