Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

19 hours ago, HSGC2017 said:

Chin up, it’s not a no unless they say no. I’m cheering for you to get your invites whether from that program or another!

Has anyone gotten a rejection email from Wayne?

2 hours ago, kelly14 said:

I was expecting to hear from them by now after they sent that email a while back! It doesn’t sound like they’ve sent any yet.

I just emailed them yesterday.  They told me the commity was still reviewing applications and would be for the next few days. So I don’t think today is the last day to hear from them. 

2 hours ago, DreamGene said:

I just emailed them yesterday.  They told me the commity was still reviewing applications and would be for the next few days. So I don’t think today is the last day to hear from them. 

@HSGC2017

I know ISU is running a little behind schedule on reviewing applications, there were still a few waiting to be reviewed yesterday and I think they still have to compile the results from the different reviewers and then make decisions from there. Not sure how long they are expecting that to take them, but guessing it would be into at least next week (but don't quote me on that! :))

8 minutes ago, minja134 said:

@HSGC2017

I know ISU is running a little behind schedule on reviewing applications, there were still a few waiting to be reviewed yesterday and I think they still have to compile the results from the different reviewers and then make decisions from there. Not sure how long they are expecting that to take them, but guessing it would be into at least next week (but don't quote me on that! :))

Aww, thanks for giving us a heads up. It makes it a bit easier to remain patient ?

Do programs take note if you are a second-time applicant?

For example, let's say I complete the required classes for 4 schools and apply but don't get in anywhere. In the meantime, I have completed more classes and now qualify for those 4 schools plus 4 more. Will the initial schools look down on me reapplying? Will the new schools know I'm a second-time applicant?

4 minutes ago, gene13 said:

For example, let's say I complete the required classes for 4 schools and apply but don't get in anywhere. In the meantime, I have completed more classes and now qualify for those 4 schools plus 4 more. Will the initial schools look down on me reapplying? Will the new schools know I'm a second-time applicant?

Schools actually tend to look favorably on applicants who are re-applying if they have shown improvements to their application. Re-applying and making those improvements shows dedication and that you know this is what you want. If you apply to new schools your second time, they will not know you are a second time applicant. 

Edited by Nefelibata

3 minutes ago, gene13 said:

I think the schools you already applied to will like to see your perseverance, especially if you've greatly improved your application.  It shows that you really know that this is what you want to do.  I don't think the new schools will know you're a second time applicant unless you tell them.  I worked it in to my admission statement that I had previously applied and when I didn't get in I did a different Master's but have come back to genetic counseling since.

6 minutes ago, gene13 said:

YES. Also know if you don't get in, at the end of the cycle you can ask for review and see what their suggestions are. I think a lot of people on this board will agree, applying the second time to the same program actually feels more difficult. But it also says "I'm still here, and I'm STILL trying!"

3 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

this is random but at the bottom of the Wisconsin invite email there is a little note that I think they forgot to delete lol. It's not a big deal i just thought it was kind of funny 

Does anyone know if they are sending all of the invites today?

5 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

this is random but at the bottom of the Wisconsin invite email there is a little note that I think they forgot to delete lol. It's not a big deal i just thought it was kind of funny 

I saw that too! :D

13 minutes ago, Raerae32 said:

I would say yes because they want all the date preferences by 2/2 which is really soon 

36 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

I just saw that too! And not going to lie first thing when I read the email was dang the 2nd is a very quick turn around!

As excited as I am to be getting interviews it is going to be a scheduling (and budgeting) nightmare..

34 minutes ago, Raerae32 said:

I would assume they are sending them all out today, but think they probably have a waitlist as well. So not getting one today isn't actually a rejection. There are people that will turn down interviews!

Edited by KCGC

I basically be started all my persona statements flat out telling everyone I was a secondtike applicant. Every school I applied to before obviously would have known, but I didn’t hide it from the three new ones I applied to. So far it’s worked favorably. I have an interview with a school I previously applied to and then one with a new school I applied to. I have yet to hear from the other 6, so we’ll see