Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

7 minutes ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Ok now I'm curious, what's it say? 

Something like "Are you sure February 2nd isn't too soon? Also, don't forget to set your automatic e-mail to tell people to contact ____ about admission and interview questions"

6 hours ago, Blizzard said:

You got the rejection email this morning??

I see in your signature that you put a rejection for wayne state. Did they email you a rejection? Or are you assuming because you didnt get an interview?

14 minutes ago, CdaveyGC said:

I see in your signature that you put a rejection for wayne state. Did they email you a rejection? Or are you assuming because you didnt get an interview?

No, just assumption because I didn't get an interview. I would say no one is an official "Reject" until everyone who was offered interviews has RSVP'd to confirm them. 

While we wait though, please apply to another program. You're making me nervous with only two!!!!!

I woke up just now and checked. I don't have any email from Wisconsin. ? I hope it's not over yet. Although I did have a recommendation letter issue with them. One of my recommender couldn't upload his letter in their portal and so he emailed it to them but all of this happened after the deadline and after I brought it to his attention that his letter is not there. So I don't know if they even considered my application or not. ?

Edited by FutureGC7

11 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

No, just assumption because I didn't get an interview. I would say no one is an official "Reject" until everyone who was offered interviews has RSVP'd to confirm them. 

While we wait though, please apply to another program. You're making me nervous with only two!!!!!

I cannot apply out of state due to personal and financial reasons. Im sorry its making you nervous buts its just not an option for me this cycle. I decided to apply anyways because I had worked so hard on my application. 

2 hours ago, hfj23 said:

I would say yes because they want all the date preferences by 2/2 which is really soon 

Then I guess it's over for me. Congratulations to all who got interviews from Wisconsin! ? ?

Edited by FutureGC7

2 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

I basically be started all my persona statements flat out telling everyone I was a secondtike applicant. Every school I applied to before obviously would have known, but I didn’t hide it from the three new ones I applied to. So far it’s worked favorably. I have an interview with a school I previously applied to and then one with a new school I applied to. I have yet to hear from the other 6, so we’ll see 

Hey! Me too! Out of 11, 6 of the schools from previous cycle ofcourse knew & I mentioned it to the 5 new ones boldly. N I have the same situation right now - 1 interview from new and 1 from previous uni. (3 rejections as well ?)! 

Edited by FutureGC7

Hey everyone, just for those who are wondering about KGI: they called me today reminding me that tomorrow is the deadline for their applications (which I held off for a while). I've also got to ask when the interviews will be out and they said no later than late-Feb. They are apparently interviewing 50 applicants. 

I hope everyone is holding strong!! :) 

4 hours ago, KCGC said:

I just saw that too! And not going to lie first thing when I read the email was dang the 2nd is a very quick turn around!

As excited as I am to be getting interviews it is going to be a scheduling (and budgeting) nightmare..

I would assume they are sending them all out today, but think they probably have a waitlist as well. So not getting one today isn't actually a rejection. There are people that will turn down interviews!

scheduling is a problem for me too. I can only make 1 of the dates/times and she said to pick 3. I just emailed and said I could only make the 1 and if it's full then I guess i'm just not going to Wisconsin! If this was one of my first interviews I would definitely pick 3 and suck it up  but i'm still very curious about their program because i feel like the website doesn't reveal much

Edited by hfj23

Sorry to interrupt all the interview worries but I'm thinking of applying next year and have a couple of questions

Biochemistry from UCSD- I saw some have taken this. Was it super hard? I know Biochem wont be easy but is the teacher good?

Technical writing- I'm thinking of applying to UAMS and need to find an online technical writing class. Any suggestions?

9 minutes ago, MaybeGradschool? said:

Sorry to interrupt all the interview worries but I'm thinking of applying next year and have a couple of questions

Biochemistry from UCSD- I saw some have taken this. Was it super hard? I know Biochem wont be easy but is the teacher good?

Technical writing- I'm thinking of applying to UAMS and need to find an online technical writing class. Any suggestions?

I can answer both of these:

In Biochem there currently and I think it’s easier than my previous Biochem class. I currently have an A and received a C in a previous Biochem class. Manageable work load each week, teacher is very responsive and gives out extra credit like candy. 

UAMS: I didn’t have a class and sent in writing samples from previous work experiences. She approved and “exempted” me from the requirement. Feel free to reach out to the program and the program director could give you some resources for courses that meet their guidelines if you don’t have samples. 

3 hours ago, FutureGC7 said:

Hey! Me too! Out of 11, 6 of the schools from previous cycle ofcourse knew & I mentioned it to the 5 new ones boldly. N I have the same situation right now - 1 interview from new and 1 from previous uni. (3 rejections as well ?)! 

Gosh, at this point I'd take some rejections because I haven't heard from anyone after my two interviews. I know based on last year's results, I likely won't hear anything until mid-February. Yet... that doesn't help the anxiety either way. 

2 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Gosh, at this point I'd take some rejections because I haven't heard from anyone after my two interviews. I know based on last year's results, I likely won't hear anything until mid-February. Yet... that doesn't help the anxiety either way. 

Haha, I think you should savour the wait. Rejection is way worse!!! But I think you'll get all your interviews. So don't worry. ?

8 hours ago, FutureGC7 said:

Haha, I think you should savour the wait. Rejection is way worse!!! But I think you'll get all your interviews. So don't worry. ?

Knowing either way would help a lot with scheduling, budgeting, and even prioritizing.  Because I'm Canadian I want to make sure that I prioritize the Canadian interviews over the American ones... but what if I accidentally book a bunch of American interviews during the only times that one of the Canadian schools has interviews! (An incredibly unlikely worse-case scenario)

Congrats guys! It looks like this will be my first rejection and I'm kind of relieved lol i was getting overwhelmed thinking about how i would be ranking schools :blink:

I have a question and would love to hear the forum's thoughts!

I'm super curious for those who interviewed already did you or the school mention ranks, the rules of the matching state you can't say "you're my number one or number 7" but you can express that you'll rank them or they'll rank you. Did anyone have a convo with interviewer/program director about this? I'm not asking where/who!! I'm curious as to if this is something that is ever brought up on either side?

Thanks for reading. And it looks like Michigan did (some of? ) their interview offers today, congrats to interviewees!! 

Ok thanks I figured it probably creeped into tconversations

6 minutes ago, sunT said:

I've had a conversation with a faculty member outside of an interview setting where they asked me my top choices. But I think it was accidental and they didn't know it's not permitted/reportable. They may ask you where you are applying, but never anything about your rankings. I'm pretty sure everyone wants to know though. And to answer - yes I know of individuals being told they will be ranked. Not sure how common it is. 

Ok thanks, I figured given competition it probably creeped into interviews.