Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Got a response from the program coordinator at UT for all those still email-less from them:  “I’ve been told that you should hear from the Program by next week & the 15th by the latest!”

Now we wait 

Edited by AspiringGC

Received interview offer from Arcadia this morning via email! Was beginning to think my email was broken as I haven't heard anything either way from any other programs. 

Applied/Interview/Rejected: Stanford, Pittsburgh, CSU Stanislaus, UC Denver, University of Utah, Arcadia University, Thomas Jefferson University

15 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Got a response from the program coordinator at UT for all those still email-less from them:  “I’ve been told that you should hear from the Program by next week & the 15th by the latest!”

Now we wait 

They aren't confirming dates of people who have already been asked to interview until next week. So I would assume at that point they'll start telling people who maybe haven't been offered an interview yet.

23 minutes ago, GeneDawg said:

I see that someone received an interview from Augustana. May I ask when you submitted your application? 

I submitted mine 12/27. I know they’re still reviewing applications and on the website it says the last day to receive an interview is 2/16. 

On the date selector, there are two additional dates added for interviews compared to what I was offered (two of the three dates I had available are full). Hope that helps some.

On 1/31/2018 at 8:23 PM, AspiringGC said:

I can answer both of these:

In Biochem there currently and I think it’s easier than my previous Biochem class. I currently have an A and received a C in a previous Biochem class. Manageable work load each week, teacher is very responsive and gives out extra credit like candy. 

UAMS: I didn’t have a class and sent in writing samples from previous work experiences. She approved and “exempted” me from the requirement. Feel free to reach out to the program and the program director could give you some resources for courses that meet their guidelines if you don’t have samples. 

Thanks a lot @AspiringGC! That is very helpful information about the biochem class.

Unfortunately I have been out of school a long time and my job hasn't really included writing. So, anyone have a good suggestion of an online technical writing class for UAMS?

Thanks!

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post in the thread. I applied to 7 schools and so far have received interview invitations from 3 schools (Brandeis, Rutgers, Arcadia). Has anyone heard back from the others schools I applied to (Sarah Lawrence, U of Pitt, BU, Thomas Jefferson)? 

1 hour ago, KaryoKid said:

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post in the thread. I applied to 7 schools and so far have received interview invitations from 3 schools (Brandeis, Rutgers, Arcadia). Has anyone heard back from the others schools I applied to (Sarah Lawrence, U of Pitt, BU, Thomas Jefferson)? 

Welcome and congrats on your interviews! You can look through the results page to see if anyone has posted on these schools here. However, I haven't seen anyone mention any of these schools in regards to interview invites or rejections yet. 

13 minutes ago, gene13 said:

Does state/location (not citizenship) play a role in admissions? Am I more likely to get into the schools that I am geographically closer to?

I haven't heard of that making a difference! Maybe if an interviewer senses some hesitancy about an interviewee moving across the country, then the chances of acceptance would decrease?

7 hours ago, MaybeGradschool? said:

Thanks a lot @AspiringGC! That is very helpful information about the biochem class.

Unfortunately I have been out of school a long time and my job hasn't really included writing. So, anyone have a good suggestion of an online technical writing class for UAMS?

Thanks!

I contacted the program director regarding this requirement and she recommended a course through ed2go, and it’s the course I chose to take! There’s another course through coursera that she said was acceptable, but hadn’t had any previous students take before. 

here are the links for both courses: https://www.ed2go.com/courses/business/communication/ilc/fundamentals-of-technical-writing

https://www.coursera.org/learn/technical-writing

Let me know if you have any questions about the ed2go one!

38 minutes ago, Gc811 said:

I contacted the program director regarding this requirement and she recommended a course through ed2go, and it’s the course I chose to take! There’s another course through coursera that she said was acceptable, but hadn’t had any previous students take before. 

here are the links for both courses: https://www.ed2go.com/courses/business/communication/ilc/fundamentals-of-technical-writing

https://www.coursera.org/learn/technical-writing

Let me know if you have any questions about the ed2go one!

Thank you so much @Gc811.  THat was one of the classes I had looked at. It's super cheap so thats great!

1 hour ago, gene13 said:

Does state/location (not citizenship) play a role in admissions? Am I more likely to get into the schools that I am geographically closer to?

Certain schools do have preferences on this. For example, UAMS stated they prefer Arkansas residents over out of state students. I think Augustana will choose a candidate from a rural/underrepresented location if they are deciding between two similar applicants. 

For the most part though, I don’t think it matters. 

On 2/3/2018 at 6:12 PM, AspiringGC said:

Certain schools do have preferences on this. For example, UAMS stated they prefer Arkansas residents over out of state students. I think Augustana will choose a candidate from a rural/underrepresented location if they are deciding between two similar applicants. 

For the most part though, I don’t think it matters. 

Duuuude I hope not. There are no programs in my state so like... I can't go in-state, dammit!

On 2/3/2018 at 5:48 PM, gene13 said:

This is somewhat true of USF. While you don't have to be a resident of Florida, they have a strong emphasis on choosing applicants that will stay in Florida after graduation. Their program is really focused on addressing the relative lack of genetic counselors in Florida specifically. 

7 minutes ago, TAGC said:

Did anyone else just get an e-mail from the National Matching Service reminding us of the rules?  I had a mini-heart attack when I saw it, thinking maybe I had broken some rules.

Same! Also, the name on the top was not my own so it led to further anxiety and freak out...

8 minutes ago, TAGC said:

Did anyone else just get an e-mail from the National Matching Service reminding us of the rules?  I had a mini-heart attack when I saw it, thinking maybe I had broken some rules.

Yup, I got it too. Looks like a mass email. 

@guidingsunchan Mine said that too!

Edited by Nefelibata

4 minutes ago, guidingsunchan said:

Yup. Mine also said "To: Jonah Peranson" at the top, which is very much not my name. 

I just noticed mine also says "Jonah Peranson".  I guess they forgot to change the name before forwarding it to each person.

Looks like they just rectified it.

Edited by TAGC