Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

38 minutes ago, GChopeful860 said:

Does anyone know when the deadline to get back to Arcadia or UT Houston with preferred interview dates is? Waiting for my rejections? lol

Arcadia didn’t specify when their date preference deadline was, just that it was first-come, first-served. Good luck!!

2 hours ago, allele1 said:

When did you submit your application? Just wondering if they may be doing rolling.

I submitted my app before Christmas and it was verified around December 30. 

1 hour ago, GChopeful860 said:

Does anyone know when the deadline to get back to Arcadia or UT Houston with preferred interview dates is? Waiting for my rejections? lol

Arcadia said they would be giving out interviews for the next week! 

1 hour ago, GChopeful860 said:

Based on conversations myself and another applicant had with the UT coordinator, their interviews were NOT given out on a rolling basis. And we would be hearing back no later than February 15th on our application decision (which she did not confirm or deny either way). Based on that, I'm definitely expecting a rejection some time soon

7 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Based on conversations myself and another applicant had with the UT coordinator, their interviews were NOT given out on a rolling basis. And we would be hearing back no later than February 15th on our application decision (which she did not confirm or deny either way). Based on that, I'm definitely expecting a rejection some time soon

Dang, that's pretty disheartening. I didn't see very many people on here say they got interview invitations from UT, so I was hoping more invites would be going out soon. I only applied to UT and Baylor, so I'm not too thrilled about my prospects this year. Ah well, one more year to fluff up my resumé.

Just got my official rejection from the U of M and this one stings.  This process is tough!  I'm consoling myself by prepping for the interviews I do have, and trying to be grateful they took a chance on me.  

I'm curious, how many schools did everyone else apply to?  I applied to six, which I thought was a high amount, but now I'm not so sure.  That said, just going to the interviews I do have will cost me a bit of money, so I'm not sure I could have afforded to go to more!

8 hours ago, kgene88 said:

I'm curious, how many schools did everyone else apply to?  I applied to six, which I thought was a high amount, but now I'm not so sure.  That said, just going to the interviews I do have will cost me a bit of money, so I'm not sure I could have afforded to go to more!

Many people on this thread applied to over 10 schools (You can see which schools in some of our signatures). I applied to 8 and some only applied to 1 or 2 based on location and the crazy costs that come with all of this.

Just got my official rejection from the U of M and this one stings.  This process is tough!  I'm consoling myself by prepping for the interviews I do have, and trying to be grateful they took a chance on me.  

I also applied to U of M and haven't gotten and email either way.  I'm assuming it's a rejection since I didn't get an interview offer but it's weird that others have gotten a rejection email already. I assume they send them out altogether?

I'm curious, how many schools did everyone else apply to?

I've read several places based on graduate admission statistics that applying to 4-6 schools is the best shot for a qualified candidate. Any thing lower, and you might miss out, anything higher doesn't significantly increase any one's chances. That being said, I am learning now that genetic counseling may be different because of how few programs there are available. I applied to 4, money and work schedule. 

3 minutes ago, HalleK said:

Do you know of anyone who's gotten an interview there already? I'm still waiting to hear from 6 schools!

Yes I know people who have gotten interviews and rejections 

10 minutes ago, HalleK said:

Congrats! I'm still waiting for my letter

As in they offered you an interview and you're still waiting for the official confirmation?  How long ago did they contact you, because I was waiting for the e-mail before making any solid travel plans.

3 minutes ago, TAGC said:

As in they offered you an interview and you're still waiting for the official confirmation?  How long ago did they contact you, because I was waiting for the e-mail before making any solid travel plans.

No, I haven’t received an email with a decision either way. Is the letter up on their website?

Edited by HalleK

9 minutes ago, HalleK said:

No, I haven’t received an email with a decision either way. Is the letter up on their website?

They called me to tell me that I received an interview, but I got my phone call over a week after other people on the forum did, so it seems like they're doing rolling admissions.  After the phone call she said she'd send an e-mail confirmation, so that's what I thought you meant.  They definitely still have a lot more phone calls to make, so don't write them off just yet!