Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

3 minutes ago, jpmcm0 said:

You still have 4 schools to hear from! But that's an awesome attitude to have. Many of us are second time applicants and you will learn a lot about your application when you ask. I waited until the beginning of May to ask, when I applied two years ago. I decided not to apply last year because it often takes a long time to set up volunteer positions and shadowing (if that's where you lack like I did) and I'm glad I didn't rush it. Good luck on the rest of your schools!

I know there's four left I am just not putting all my hopes on them. My big weakness is lack of counseling experience. When I truly started looking into applying I was doing my Masters research  full time on top of having another full time job and didn't have the time to commit 10 hours a week to working a suicide prevention phone bank for $8 an hr or committing to a year long contract with the rape and abuse crisis center (my husband is military and we might be moving soon). I still would rather not do that because I need to make real money but I'm not sure of what other options there are in my area... I'm interested in the feedback and hoping it's something more than just "lack of counseling experience"!! 

3 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

I was given March 3rd, but it’s a Saturday and I’m an observant Jew so I can’t do it that day. I asked them if I can come in on the 21st of February. Still no response.

I'm sure they'll work with you! And if they don't work with you, then you don't want them anyway.
That's really crappy luck, try not to stress about it until they get back to you.

7 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

I'm sure they'll work with you! And if they don't work with you, then you don't want them anyway.
That's really crappy luck, try not to stress about it until they get back to you.

Yeah, that’s what I tell myself. Thanks for the kind words! I have a backup plan in case this doesn’t work anyway.

2 hours ago, HelenM said:

Same! I checked my Baylor status just now. I'm a little nervous bc I felt confident about Baylor. We'll see. Let me know if you hear anything from them :) Also waiting to hear back from Stanislaus I hate that its taking soooo long!! :blink:

I spoke with someone from Stanislaus about an issue with my application and she said they're running a little behind and are hoping to send out interview invites sometime in mid-February with interview dates from mid-march to april

I just wanted to say to everyone...though this process SUCKS and is mentally and emotionally draining...I hope everyone can become a GC (sounds cheesy I know). I think we could all offer some great things to this field. It is extremely competitive but we will get through this! I just know I need some motivation right now with this process and I am sure everyone else does too!

"Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learn. Work hard, and never give up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These are not cliches but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path" -- Phillip Sweet

25 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

I was given March 3rd, but it’s a Saturday and I’m an observant Jew so I can’t do it that day. I asked them if I can come in on the 21st of February. Still no response.

I am having a similar problem, I was given Feb. 28 and have asked for the 24th. Haven't heard back for a couple of days...