Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

4 minutes ago, AnonymousWalrus said:

I know it was posted on here a few pages back, but I couldn’t find it and I wasn’t sure how far in it was, so I apologize for asking again; can someone post the link to that discourse page regarding interviews? Much appreciated!

If you're talking about discord, this is the link:

https://discord.gg/7HFjFr5

So far I’ve been rejected to Rutgers, Denver, and Indiana State. Still waiting on Indiana Uni and Pitt. But I have a bad feeling about Indiana since it’s been so long since others got interview invites and the dates are soon. Fingers crossed for Pitt!

3 hours ago, bB0769 said:

AH the nerves! What's going on with this school!! 

22 hours ago, NicSL said:

On the results page, it looks like someone got a rejection letter from the University of Manitoba yesterday...! Oh my, my anxiety is rising again

I know, I still haven't heard back from them, but I see that rejections were sent out today as well :( Not going to have high hopes..

Also, the program assistant from UBC told me they're still processing applications..does this mean that another wave of interview invites are going to be released? 

44 minutes ago, Joey0817 said:

I know, I still haven't heard back from them, but I see that rejections were sent out today as well :( Not going to have high hopes..

Also, the program assistant from UBC told me they're still processing applications..does this mean that another wave of interview invites are going to be released? 

I think one of my friends contacted them, and she told me that there are not more interviews being requested at UBC :( 

1 hour ago, allele1 said:

I just know the last date to hear from them is Monday (2/12), so they could be!

Where did you find the date 2/12? All I see on their website is “mid February.”

Has anyone who received an interview for USC heard back about dates yet? I got the invite on Tuesday and haven't heard back since. 

Also, so glad I found this forum!! Better late than never :)

Edited by LadyFox

9 hours ago, NicSL said:

I think one of my friends contacted them, and she told me that there are not more interviews being requested at UBC :( 

That's too bad :( I really wish they would send out the rejection letters around the same time as the interview invites, so applicants who haven't heard of anything aren't so hopeful. Well, I think I'm out this round then. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to strengthen their application for next round? I already have genetic research experience (over 2 years, with a paper published), have over a year of distressline listening (also did planned pregnancy volunteer work for 10 months)  and I volunteered as a GC assistant for 5 months. I think my weakness is my GPA (3.3/3.4) which isn't something I can change at this point. I am feeling really discouraged because I haven't heard back from any of the schools I applied to (Manitoba, UBC, UofT and McGill). Do any of you guys have any suggestions, maybe something I can do during the year off?  

Edited by Joey0817

29 minutes ago, GeneDawg said:

Does anyone know if Augustana is still sending out more interviews? 

On their website it says the last day to hear about interviews is 2/16. When I last reached out a couple weeks ago it definitely appeared that they were still going through applications. They also still have interview spots available on the booking link. 

Edited by AspiringGC

11 hours ago, Joey0817 said:

already have genetic research experience (over 2 years, with a paper published), have over a year of distressline listening (also did planned pregnancy volunteer work for 10 months)  and I volunteered as a GC assistant for 5 months. I think my weakness is my GPA (3.3/3.4) which isn't something I can change at this point.

Honestly, I think you would have gotten interviews last year or the year before that. Seems like miserable timing for your average GC applicant. Anyway, looking at the results page, there are people getting interviews with 3.2s, but they have a balance of a super perfect GRE score. 

Just something I noticed. I don't actually have any real insight besides that result page and previous forums. So ask for feedback in May. But consider that retaking the GRE is going to be a lot cheaper than retaking a class. 

13 hours ago, Joey0817 said:

That's too bad :( I really wish they would send out the rejection letters around the same time as the interview invites, so applicants who haven't heard of anything aren't so hopeful. Well, I think I'm out this round then. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to strengthen their application for next round? I already have genetic research experience (over 2 years, with a paper published), have over a year of distressline listening (also did planned pregnancy volunteer work for 10 months)  and I volunteered as a GC assistant for 5 months. I think my weakness is my GPA (3.3/3.4) which isn't something I can change at this point. I am feeling really discouraged because I haven't heard back from any of the schools I applied to (Manitoba, UBC, UofT and McGill). Do any of you guys have any suggestions, maybe something I can do during the year off?  

@Joey0817 Personally, the 3.3/3.4 GPA really isn't that bad. The average GPA of admitted students is only 3.5. What really matters is the grades you received in pre-req classes. If you have anything less than a B in a pre-req, in my experience most programs write you off right away. The other thing I notice is that you're only applying to Canadian schools, which is SO tough because they all only accept ~4-5 students, so with those 4 schools, there are only 16 spots available. If feasible, you may want to look at applying to some US schools next year  @TAGC can tell you about their experience with only applying to Canadian schools vs. adding some American ones). Lastly, with your experience and decent GPA (assuming you don't have all low-prereq grades), I would recommend approaching your personal statement in a different way. Applicants can have a fantastic background and experience, but if their personal statement doesn't stand out or wow them, you also won't be selected. I had a poor personal statement last year which I think was part of my problem. Ask mentors/other people to look over your personal statement and give you suggestions. One of my best friends applied to medical school last year and her essay was selected as one of two highlighted in a news article about medical school essays that admissions people loved. I asked her to look over my personal statement (before I even knew her essay was selected for that article!) and she gave me some really good pointers and suggestions and my essay doesn't look ANYTHING like it did last year. If you have great qualifications, your personal statement can be a make-or-break between you and other applicants.

Those are just my suggestions, obviously schools might have other things to say. But like others have said, ask for feedback around May. 

Hi everyone! I need advice. So I have applied to 5 schools, 3 of which I have been rejected and 2 or which I have not heard from yet. The idea that I may have to apply for a second time is starting to set in. I have been thinking of various versions of plan Bs that I can do for the next year but since the schools want me to wait till after May 1st to contact them about why I got rejected, it is difficult for me to decide right now what I should do for the next year. But, I want to at least have some backups planned and not wait till May to start looking for a job or internship. 

I am a senior graduating in May with a Molecular Biology degree. For the past 2.5 years, I have been working in a behavioral genetics lab at my school, I have shadowed 3 GCs, I have been volunteering for Hospice for 1.5 years, I have been working at a Family Practice Doctor's office for 10 months now, and I have all the suggested/required courses. A year ago, I was offered an internship with a GC but she was an hour away so I had to say no because I couldn't commute that far while in school.

Of those of you who have received interviews and are feeling confident, what do you suggest I work on the next year in order to make my application way stronger for the 2nd round. This is hard because all the people, GCs, and mentors I have talked to said I have a ton of experience and will for sure get in but here we are...I want to do everything I can to get in. This has been my dream job for years! Thanks guys!!

11 minutes ago, Lauren423 said:

Hi everyone! I need advice. So I have applied to 5 schools, 3 of which I have been rejected and 2 or which I have not heard from yet. The idea that I may have to apply for a second time is starting to set in. I have been thinking of various versions of plan Bs that I can do for the next year but since the schools want me to wait till after May 1st to contact them about why I got rejected, it is difficult for me to decide right now what I should do for the next year. But, I want to at least have some backups planned and not wait till May to start looking for a job or internship. 

When I spoke with schools last year about why I wasn't offered admission it largely came down to the generic answers that we all have heard. I think the best you can do is strengthen your areas you already listed, and make sure your are picking strong letter writers, and really conveying your love for the field in your personal statement. I would also recommend taking an online class in some related area of study in the interim to show your desire to continue your education with or without admission this cycle. 

8 hours ago, Lauren423 said:

I am a senior graduating in May with a Molecular Biology degree. For the past 2.5 years, I have been working in a behavioral genetics lab at my school, I have shadowed 3 GCs, I have been volunteering for Hospice for 1.5 years, I have been working at a Family Practice Doctor's office for 10 months now, and I have all the suggested/required courses. A year ago, I was offered an internship with a GC but she was an hour away so I had to say no because I couldn't commute that far while in school.

Of those of you who have received interviews and are feeling confident, what do you suggest I work on the next year in order to make my application way stronger for the 2nd round. This is hard because all the people, GCs, and mentors I have talked to said I have a ton of experience and will for sure get in but here we are...I want to do everything I can to get in. This has been my dream job for years! Thanks guys!!

Honestly I don't understand why you haven't heard from any schools yet. Let's hope you hear from the remaining two. 

The most important thing is your personal statement. Last year I had a personal statement which basically reiterated my work experiences, and about what I learned from them. But this year it is very different. I have spoken about how each experience means something for me personally. Your personal statement is a story of your connect with your work, academic and life experiences. They want to see that you are mature enough to reflect on each of your experiences and understand why you are here wanting to be a GC. They already know that you have gained a lot of skills from your work, they want to know about your personal growth. 

Luckily I found some really amazing current students of 2 programs who agreed to review my personal statement n I found one practicing GC to do it to. Their feedback was really helpful and I made a lot of changes based on their feedback. I even had it reviewed from my friends who don't belong to the science field. They had some great insights too. So I think you should also try to get feedback from multiple people from different walks of life. 

Another important factor is your recommendations - they are a proof of all the skills that you speak of in your resume ! So look into that too. I think if you don't waive your right to view the recommendations, you can ask the current schools to show you the letters and see if you feel you want to change one of your recommenders for next cycle. 

And don't give up hope yet. Maybe you will get an interview. You just need one interview to which you do justice and you get the admission. :)

Edited by FutureGC7

4 hours ago, FutureGC7 said:

If anybody is waiting to hear from UBC, check your application portal. I just checked mine and the status said: "admission declined".  :(

My status still says "Submitted" and I have not heard anything from them...

15 minutes ago, Me.GC said:

My status still says "Submitted" and I have not heard anything from them...

Perhaps you are waitlisted for the interview. I received an interview offer from UBC and my status is "Submitted".