Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

1 hour ago, Methylation said:

How many interviews are you guys capping yours at? 

I had originally decided 6 or 7, but my top choice school still hasn't told me either way yet, so I don't want to turn down other interviews in the hopes that this one school does get back to me.

Editing to say "one of my top schools" because I'm also super excited about all of the schools I do have interviews with

Edited by TAGC

1 hour ago, Methylation said:

How many interviews are you guys capping yours at? 

I was thinking 4 or 5.. I had been planning to turn down an interview from CSU when I thought I was going to get one from Utah, but that's not the case anymore. As long as they fit my schedule/I can get time off, I will accept any additional interviews I may receive. 

If anyone needs a gap year or two and wants to live in the DC area you should check out being a NIH postbac. The pay isn't great but there are a ton of opportunities across the main campus, including sitting in on a Hopkins genetic counseling seminar class. If you live within driving distance of the main campus you can take the class without working at the NIH, it is open to everyone. 

https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta

https://faes.org/sites/default/files/FAES_Catalog_2017-18.pdf (GENE 510)

8 hours ago, GCPH said:

Has anyone heard from Hopkins yet?

Last year people didn't hear from them until Feb 22 according to the results page so there's still time! I feel like they don't interview many people though because there are barely any results for them

4 minutes ago, laura moreno said:

Where can you find the results page? 

At the very top of the page under the "Grad Cafe" banner is a button that says "Results" you can click it and search for "Genetic Counseling" or even "Johns Hopkins Genetic Counseling"

8 minutes ago, GC2018 said:

Still waiting to hear back from Northwestern and USF. Does anyone have an idea of when we should expect to hear back from them? 

Northwestern should be today/tomorrow or next week.  My friend is in that program and asked the director last week and they still were unsure exactly when they were going to be sending invites out, but they guessed toward the end of this week or early next week.

18 minutes ago, AnonymousGC said:

Should I assume Arcadia and TJU are rejections if I haven't heard from them yet?

Arcadia:

"Our admissions committee is still reviewing applications to the program, and we anticipate that all decision letters will be sent by March 15th"

I think they are keeping people on waitlists for now (or possibly have another wave who knows), but have heard that they send out snail mail rejection letters. Basically unsure of what that means, but doesn't sound like you should them as a rejection 100% yet.

4 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

I heard from Pittsburgh too! What day are you going?

I'm not sure... the dates they gave me don't work very ideally for me.. one option is during my spring break (and I'll be on vacation), and the other is the Monday after my spring break.  I may have to ask for an alternative option like they said if we can't do either of the two options.

Never got an e-mail from Manitoba but saw thru the self service portal that a decision was made. Based on the decision letter, it said that my application was unsuccessful because 'documents required for assessment were not received by the deadline for departmental assessment''. I double checked my application and see that everything (application/transcript/references etc.) was submitted and/or received before the deadline, so not quite sure what could have been missing. I did e-mail the program to get some clarification but haven't heard back yet. Anybody ever have something like this happen to them or got any advice? Would it be appropriate to contact the program director to ask for some feedback?  

41 minutes ago, PlzAdmitMe said:

Do you guys think Sarah Lawrence is still sending out interviews? Or should I give up on that one?

I talked to Janelle and she said that they will be sending out more invites over the next few weeks. Final invites will go out the week of March 26th