Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Just to provide some clarification on Augustana's rejection letter statement about underserved communities - Augustana is located in a more rural part of the country where there are fewer genetic counselors and there is less access to genetic counselors. When an applicant who is from say Durham, North Carolina, where there are numerous GCs and access is a bit easier (20,000 residents per genetic counselor), has an application that is near equivalent to a person that is from say Miami, FL, where the number of GCs is far less and access is not as simple (1.2 million residents per genetic counselor), Augustana is going to be more likely to accept/interview the applicant with equivalent qualifications from Miami over the applicant from North Carolina. The motivation behind this is that studies have shown that students are likely to return and practice where they are originally from and the goal is to increase number of GCs and access to GCs across all areas of the US.

28 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

@Marie764 I'm sure Augustana accepted plenty of people who were not from underserved communities because it is incredibly difficult to do this application process if you are from those areas. If this person was rejected, it is not because they were not from the areas that Augustan has decided to give a chance. It's because their scores, GPA, personal statements,  and experience did not match up to others from advantaged communities. The same reason we all get rejected. That's only a small part of someone's rejection, it is not the reason they were rejected. 
But like I said already, if I totally misunderstood, I don't want to make this day worse for someone than it already is. I just think it's worth pointing out, if someone is wallowing thinking they were not accepted because they have money.

Based on last years forums the full sentence was "If and when all other things were equal between applicants, preference was given to applicants from areas of the country (USA) which are known to be underserved or have workforce needs."  If anyone has a perfect application let them be the first to throw stones, but I know I have been second guessing every inch of my application since submitting. I don't think anyone needs an additional reminder of all of their insecurities going through this process, as mentioned it's stressful and we could all be considerate and use our empathy skills even before becoming GCs.

Side note: Underserved/having workforce needs and money don't necessarily have any correlation..  trying to get more GC's in areas without them has nothing to do with being poor.  There are families that travel for hours and hours to Omaha to see a GC because there aren't any in Western Nebraska and I'm sure that some of those same families make more farming than my parents did as an engineer and an accountant. 

10 minutes ago, KCGC said:

Side note: Underserved/having workforce needs and money don't necessarily have any correlation..  trying to get more GC's in areas without them has nothing to do with being poor.  There are families that travel for hours and hours to Omaha to see a GC because there aren't any in Western Nebraska and I'm sure that some of those same families make more farming than my parents did as an engineer and an accountant. 

This ^ the director even half pointed out the need for GCs in Arizona when I emailed him about something else. I'm sure the fact I'm from here contributed in some part to getting an interview. I live in Tucson and can think of 3 practicing GCs who also live here.. None of which are in pediatrics or adult, so the full spectrum of specialties isn't even represented. And Tucson is by no means a small city, but it is obvious there is a "workforce need" and parts of the area could definitely be considered underserved. 

It sucks, but programs have to have some tie breakers between applicants somehow. I'm 90% sure Arkansas gives preference to AR residents, does that seem fair? Maybe not, but it's what they choose to do and have every right to as long as they aren't blatantly discriminating someone for other issues such as race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Edited by AspiringGC

On 2/7/2018 at 2:31 PM, AspiringGC said:

Asked Arizona director about interviews and this is what she sent: 

Since we will not have accreditation prior to the match, we plan to interview students from AZ in March (since they are local) All others will have to wait until after the match.  We hope to have access to the unmatched list depending on when we get accreditation.

This means that if you are in the match (which everyone I spoke to is), you will not be able to select AZ and if other programs match with you, you are obligated to attend. I know that puts those who would like to come here in the fall in an awkward situation, but we cannot accept anyone until we have accreditation.

I'm curios to why she seems so certain that accreditation won't happen before Match when Baylor and KGI just got theirs.. But Arizona did submit 3 months after AND another program submitted before them. If anyone is close by, applied, and DOESN'T have interviews, I bet it would be a good idea to reach out and reiterate your interests in the program. The above seems like they will only interview in-state students, even if they DO have interviews for programs in the Match whereas out of state will be interviewed AFTER they receive accreditation.. (likely later March or early April?) 

Thanks for the update! I wonder if they will send rejections to most people who are out of state then. 

8 minutes ago, allele1 said:

Thanks for the update! I wonder if they will send rejections to most people who are out of state then. 

I don't think this means they AREN'T going to invite out of state residents.. It's just that they aren't going to invite until closer to match day or even after... or possibly only invite those who end up on the unmatched list, who knows at this point. 

KGI interviews are out!!

In their email regarding accreditation:

"The KGI Master of Science in Human Genetics and Genetic Counseling (MSGC) program has been granted Accredited New Program accreditation, effective February 1, 2018. A program achieving Accredited New Program accreditation may admit students, who, upon successfully completing their degree, will be deemed to have graduated from an ACGC-Accredited program."

1 hour ago, CdnGC123 said:

Do you guys reply to interview invites (specifically e-mail the program director) or do you just use the link they provide to select your interview date and show up?

Just depends on how the offer arrived. The first I got asked to email (the director) back with my preferences. The other asked me to use a link to select, and the other had me log back into the application portal and select my date that way. 

But for example, I wouldn’t email the program director to accept if a link was sent. They have access to the results and can see who is supposed to be there what day. After that, my duties are to book travel, accommodation, and show up. 

7 hours ago, CdnGC123 said:

Do you guys reply to interview invites (specifically e-mail the program director) or do you just use the link they provide to select your interview date and show up?

For ISU’s interview, they wanted us to reply back to the email invite with what date worked for us. They also asked for our t-shirt size and if we have any food allergies.

15 minutes ago, GCBrittany said:

So if I didn't receive an invite from Utah yesterday, should I assume I'm out? Or did it seem they had more to go? 

Thanks friends. 

Im in the same boat a start you as are a few other gradcafe users. However, I’m assuming I’m waitlisted for an interview. Last year, I received my rejection the same day and many rejections went out yesterday as well. 

Someone said they were asked to turn in their preferences ASAP so that any unfilled spots could be offered to waitlisters. I’m planning to call to confirm 

@dragongc10 @KCGC @sunT

Thanks for the advice! I was just starting to worry that I wouldn't have a gut feeling at any of the places because I really liked the first two and they are pretty similar in terms of curriculum. But I suppose that's good because then I would be happy to go to either place!

I'm back!!!!

I got interview offers from UAB and Utah yesterday. It still feels really surreal. I'm beyond happy! 

Also want to prepare for these interviews as best as possible! 

Does anyone have any opinions when choosing interview dates if you should or shouldn't go in the last group? 

13 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I'm back!!!!

I got interview offers from UAB and Utah yesterday. It still feels really surreal. I'm beyond happy! 

Also want to prepare for these interviews as best as possible! 

Does anyone have any opinions when choosing interview dates if you should or shouldn't go in the last group? 

My personal opinion on it is that it really doesn't matter when you interview - if you stand out and they like you, they're going to remember you no matter when you interview. Most programs interview [on average] 40-50 applicants, which isn't that many to be lost and forgotten in. 

Edit: congrats on your interviews! It ain't over till it's over, and it ain't over until all rejections are received!

Edited by Nefelibata

11 minutes ago, GCBrittany said:

Awesome, maybe we still have a chance! If you think of it, can you update us after you call? 

Thanks! 

I called and Stefanie, the executive secretary, stated that she sent out both all the interviews and all the rejections. So any of us that haven't heard back are on the waitlist somewhere in between. She said we'd hear by next week or the week after at the latest.... So more waiting, BUT we aren't out of the running yet. 

Edited by AspiringGC

5 minutes ago, waitingGame2018 said:

Applied to following schools for Ms Computer Science.

Utah, Purdue, San Diego, Cornell, UBC, UofT

No communication from any of them. Anybody has any idea about the timeline? 

@waitingGame2018 Hi! This is the thread for Genetic Counseling applicants. try here : https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/33-computer-science/

Edited by Nefelibata